Practice with no hearing protection? - Page 4

View Poll Results: Do you eve purposefullyr practice without hearing protection?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

2 2.50%
  • No.

78 97.50%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Practice with no hearing protection?

Quote Originally Posted by TekGreg:230528
    Chen, you know I fully appreciate your desire to learn and experience; as a matter of fact I even share it! However, all of the examples you give, with a few very rare exceptions, only cause temporary damage that repairs itself and has no real long-term side effect or damage. I have been tazed, maced, and toughened myself for martial arts training, but I had no damage beyond a few days or so. However, after studying a little about hearing, I had two sets of custom earplugs made to fit my ear canal that will cut a LOT of noise and they each came with a small pocket carrying case. Damage to the ear is so easy and so permanent, as well as having constant side-effects like Tinnitus, that I not only carry the ear plugs for shooting, but every day for loud situations like screaming children in a restaurant or a loud repair shop or factory. If I had the chance, I might try to get them in during a shooting! The ear is about the only part of our body that seems to be less forgiving to abuse and does not heal itself as well as most of the rest of us.

When I was younger I shot firearms intermittently without hearing protection (we're all impervious then, ya'know?), then I had a 12-guage shotgun discharged near my face that left me with severe tinnitus for a week and about a year later a large blast went off before I was behind cover, leaving me with a minor concussion and a bleeding ear. I decided that was the end of my hearing stupidity! This is an interesting discussion because I had a hearing test yesterday and the doc told me my hearing was much better than he expected it to be for someone my age. I believe those ear plugs have really helped me save my hearing as I reach middle age, and should I ever have to defend myself and possibly deal with auditory exclusion I will, but when I was younger, I do remember my ears closing to the point that people behind and to the side of me became harder or even unable to be heard - THAT was what originally started to worry me!
    The day you stop learning, is the day you start dying. I live by that statement from Einstein.

Good advise, thank you. I understand what you mean about hearing being less forgiving. I have horrible vision, but its one sense I've been told actually has a chance of improving later on life. Hearing is exactly opposite.

When I lived in Eugene (grass seed capitol of the universe), I used to get the worst sinus congestion. Because we are invincible when we are younger, I jumped off a 40 foot cliff into water, the pressure had no where to go, I ruptured both ear drums. Talk about painful and disorienting. That, plus riding a motorcycle for the last 7 years, i'm more than lucky to retain such quality hearing. The advice through this forum sounds great. I haven't shot any rounds unprotected for a while now, I trust auditory exclusion will work for me too.

Self defense experience...something I wish I could get without having to go through hell and back.

My husband has ringing ears from being a pilot for 38 years. It is not easy living with him...at times.
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

I can see the point in that but I have only one set of ears. Maybe someday in a self defense situation I won't have time to don ear muffs but I will cross that bridge when I get to it.

5. While I wear hearing protection while practicing I do not while hunting. Not as many rounds fired but still loud and yes im going deaf.

Quote Originally Posted by marktype1 View Post
    While I wear hearing protection while practicing I do not while hunting. Not as many rounds fired but still loud and yes im going deaf.
    And if,knowing that you are going deaf, you continue to do so, you're also an idiot.
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    The day you stop learning, is the day you start dying. I live by that statement from Einstein.

Good advise, thank you. I understand what you mean about hearing being less forgiving. I have horrible vision, but its one sense I've been told actually has a chance of improving later on life. Hearing is exactly opposite.

When I lived in Eugene (grass seed capitol of the universe), I used to get the worst sinus congestion. Because we are invincible when we are younger, I jumped off a 40 foot cliff into water, the pressure had no where to go, I ruptured both ear drums. Talk about painful and disorienting. That, plus riding a motorcycle for the last 7 years, i'm more than lucky to retain such quality hearing. The advice through this forum sounds great. I haven't shot any rounds unprotected for a while now, I trust auditory exclusion will work for me too.

Self defense experience...something I wish I could get without having to go through hell and back.
    Chen, according to my doctor, the good news is that you can rupture your ear drums four or five times and still not have hearing damage! A rupture, depending on where it tears and how bad, protects the rest of the ear. If the drum heals normally, you can actually save your hearing with a rupture. That stupid Tinnitus, however, is a hit-and-miss affair as to whether it's going to go away or not. If you don't have ringing or hissing, you're in great shape! I would start now and maybe take some extra steps to protect what you have left. ;)

Unfortunately for shooting-type self-defense experience, the survival rate is right around 50%...whoever wins. You are a hands-on, want-to-know-what-it's-like type of person, but there are just some things you can't experience until it actually happens.
    (Why do I see a device about two years in the future, invented by FirefighterChen, that can safely simulate Auditory Exclusion? )
    Edmund Burke: “The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.” – 1784 speech. Taken from Founding Fathers Notes. "The unarmed man is not just defenseless -- he is also contemptible." Machiavelli

Quote Originally Posted by marktype1 View Post
    While I wear hearing protection while practicing I do not while hunting. Not as many rounds fired but still loud and yes im going deaf.
    I always hunt with electronic muffs that close with each shot but are open to hear the surrounding noises normally. Not really practical for practice, but as you say, hunting is only a few shots and electronic ear muffs can block almost all of that damaging noise.
    Edmund Burke: “The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.” – 1784 speech. Taken from Founding Fathers Notes. "The unarmed man is not just defenseless -- he is also contemptible." Machiavelli

I think this thread also brings into consideration something else for the shooter's hearing safety and the general peace of the public: legal suppressors. Suppressors are much easier to obtain in the states that allow them, can make practice very safe and quiet to the neighbors, and are much smaller and more effective than they used to be. Some people still attach a James Bond-type mystique to them, but I think like open carry, they are becoming more and more acceptable.

In a self-defense situation that required a quick presentation, you obviously wouldn't use a suppressor, but given any prep time, some even have quarter-turn, quick-attach fittings that could be deployed in less than two seconds. Imagine how scared a BG would be to stare down a suppressed barrel and wonder why he was stupid enough to mug a CIA agent!

Treo is spot on. DO NOT SHOOT YOUR WEAPON IN PRACTICE WITHOUT HEARING PROTECTION - EVER!!!!!

Anything that makes your ears ring has damaged your hearing. I have LOUD tinitus, mostly from industrial noise and it sucks. +1 that it can lead your wife to think you aren't listening to her. I hear a lot of stuff that makes no sense because I didn't hear what was really said.
    Better to perish in the struggle for freedom than live to see defeat. There ARE things to be feared more than death. The fyrd is a Constitutional imperative.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast