Practice with no hearing protection?

View Poll Results: Do you eve purposefullyr practice without hearing protection?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

2 2.50%
  • No.

78 97.50%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Practice with no hearing protection?

Practice with no hearing protection?

Does anyone practice a few magazines of ammunition with no hearing protection before you don the ear muffs for the rest of the session? (Poll...because I like polls)

I have read on here and other sites, you will not hear the percussion of the shot, or get blinded by the muzzle flash. Having not had to fire my handgun in a room or in the dark, with the fight or flight onset, I wouldn't know first hand if this is true.

I have purposefully shot a few magazines during a session only a couple times to remind myself of how loud it really is. Should I plan on doing it more often? Or is it not worth the damage to my ears, and I will be able to handle the noise if the time ever curses me?

I don't know why the "r" from "ever" got cut to the end of purposefully in the poll title, guess I missed my mouse click...and I don't know how to edit the poll title...sorry

I wouldn't advise it, you can go deaf after the first shot without hearing protection. I shot for half an hour without any hearing protection and my ears rang for 3 days straight. Needless to say I will NEVER do that again lol.

I know that standard 9mm target ammo is roughly around 156dB more than enough to damage your hearing.

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html
    Sic vis pacem, para bellum

You have already suffered permanent hearing loss to some degree. One round is above the threshold for damage to your hearing. You should neverdeliberately fire your weapon w/out hearing protection
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

6. I never would. In the excitement of a life and death encounter, I doubt I would even hear the shots.

Do you believe like Keltyke says, that if the times comes, you won't be distracted by the sound? I just want to make sure I have trained sufficiently enough to minimize any points of failure.

Did you know, more people loose their hearing due to driving with their windows down? The sound that wind creates in our ear canal while driving causes more damage than loud systems in cars. This is what my medical director informed us at our last EMS meeting, and advised us to not drive around in our department vehicles with windows down.

Charleston, South Carolina, United States
    I went to Walmart and bought some sponge type ear protection before firing 50 rounds through my new Glock 23C. I could not hear for a day after doing that. The ear plugs were not adequate protection from the noise. I also rran a hundred rounds through a Ruger 9 mm and several other weapons. I went back to Walmart and bought much better hearing protection. I would recommend that you NOT practice firing a weapon without some sort of hearing protection. I understand that you want to practice under realistic circumstances but damaging your hearing is just not worth it. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    Do you believe like Keltyke says, that if the times comes, you won't be distracted by the sound?
    I'll take my chances, I'd rather defend myself and go deaf then go deaf from not practicing properly and not be allowed to carry anymore.
    Sic vis pacem, para bellum

I have been shooting over 50 years always use hearing protection call still hear very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    Do you believe like Keltyke says, that if the times comes, you won't be distracted by the sound?
    If you are ever in a gun fight you will experience auditory exclusion. You will also suffer permanent hearing loss to some degree. I am 46 years old and I can't use a telephone and the most common thing my wife hears when we watch a movie is "What did he just say?".

Do. Not. Fire. Your. F----ing. Weapon. Without. F---ing. Hearing Protection. Ever.

By the time you realize I know exactly what I am talking about it will be too late
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast