25 cal is it good for a carry gun - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 25 cal is it good for a carry gun

Winchester makes an expanding bullet version of the .25. It is what I have in mine. Be sure to test in your gun if you try it. The + side is that it is so easy to carry. The downside is having to get close enough to beat the BG over the head with it (and it is not all that heavy). It was free and I have been on the road to getting a pocket 9mm for several years. It is an anything is better than nothing situation. I just could not make up my mind what pocket 9. Then what I picked was not in manufacturing for quite some time. Soon. Soon.

Knowledge is power and practice makes perfect. Know the positives and negatives of your weapon. However, technologies improve. What they used to be able to in the subcompact realm with .25 was improved with the 32 and then 380. Now they are finding ways to utilize technology with 9mm subcompact that they recently did with 380. Recoil is an issue, but that's where the practice part comes in. I guess there's nothing new I can say here, just that a .25 in one's pocket is more helpful that a .45 that was kept locked in a safe on a day when it was needed most.

Several people in here have said that the 25 is better than no gun at all. I think that is debatable. If I were carrying a 25 and confronted with someone wielding a knife, I'd run away as fast as I could! I wouldn't rely on the 25 to stop them. I think that carrying a 25 may lead to a false sense of security. As a bit of anecdotal evidence; I knew someone who was shot with a 25 when he was a young man in New York. He and some of his friends surrounded and were harassing an old guy in the garment district. My friend (who has cleaned up his act) was shot in the chest by the frightened old man. I know that it was a 25 because that's what the doctors dug out of him. He was wearing a Navy "pea coat" which is very heavy fabric. The bullet hit him in mid-chest and penetrated 2 layers of fabric and through the skin into his sternum. It was deflected by the sternum, then the bullet traveled between his skin and a rib to about mid-body where it stopped. It was easy to remove the bullet but the main problem was cleaning the fibers from the coat out of the wound channel. They use a probe to drag some kind of gauze through the entire channel. My friend said that this was worse than the shot even though they'd given him pain killers. Anyway, we know that gunshot wounds are highly variable but if this had been a 9mm or even a 380 auto with decent ammo; I don't think that he be laughing about it which is what he's doing about his 25 cal experience today. As I said before, he knows that he and the people with him were way out of line and he doesn't blame the old guy for shooting him. He's just glad that nobody was seriously injured. So...that's my 2 cents about 25s.
    MOLON LABE

Yeah, I am just not sure if it would not be better just to throw that pea shooter at the BG and run.

I had one and loved it until I took it to the range; I couldn't hit the side of a barn with it and I was a good shot and was shooting 400 rounds a day with my .40 and .45 cals that I was shooting competition with. Maybe others are a better shooter with it, but I got rid of mine the next day.

7. Col. Cooper once said "... carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you."

That's not far off. But, the Guru's humor aside, any gun beats throwing rocks - just some of 'em not by much. I'd take a .25 or a .22 over nothing at all. And especially over a cannon that I left at home because it's too big.

Nobody wants to get shot, so even a .25 can be a deterrent. Most defensive situations are resolved by the mere presence of a gun, without a shot being fired. But a .25 auto would be my very last choice.

Most days I happily wear a .45 auto. But if I was really into preparedness, I might also have a .38 on my ankle, then a .25 or .32 hidden in some intimate location...

If the .25 is all you have, carry that. Oneday you will be able to afford something more effective.
    “The police of a State should never be stronger or better armed than the citizenry. An armed citizenry, willing to fight is the foundation of civil freedom.” Heinlein

My wife carries a .25 Jetfire that holds 8 rounds and can empty it into a 6 inch circle in about 3 seconds if you think that can't stop someone you have been drinking the Kool-Aid. There are more effective calibers but that was not the question , many people have been killed with pocket knives with only 3 or 4 inch blades. It's all about what you can do with what you have!

its not the size...its how you use it...hahahaha

OK that was kinda funny

I carried a baby Browning .25 as a BUG for many many years after being threatened by a prisoner( I was a MP and guard at the USDB in Leavenworth, KS). By the way the Browning was purchased at JC Penny for $39 in 1968, Many years later sold it to another officer to use as a BUG for $250. Sure wish I still had that little beauty.
    I personally knew of two folks who were sent to the other side by the .25 (not the same one), not my first choice of a self defense round now but if used properly they will do the job.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast