25 cal is it good for a carry gun
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 25 cal is it good for a carry gun

1. 25 cal is it good for a carry gun

I have a 25 cal very good shooting gun but been hearing not a good gun for carry. I think its good for what its made for a belly gun close up work,after all they carried them for lots of years. The mob seamed to think it was a good carry gun..

Anything is better than nothing.

The 25 cal cartridge has been around since 1905 and has put many people in their graves over the years. It's not a common caliber these days and you have to hunt for ammo (at least I sure have had to) and you have very limited options for defensive rounds. As far as it being a good carry gun? If you can shoot it, stack rounds on target, and your comfortable and confident in it - then yes.

Minimum caliber I would recommend would be 9mm unless circumstances dictate otherwise (your only firearm and you can't afford another one, unable to accurately shoot anything larger, etc.). Availability of quality SD ammo is essential for the gun to serve its purpose. When there was a shortage of ammo, all calibers were difficult to come by, the more common calibers like 9mm, .40 s&w, .45 acp, etc., were difficult to find, though a lot easier to find than calibers like .380 auto and .25. Just a few things to consider based on my knowledge and experience.

Good luck, and happy shooting!
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

If it's all that you have then yes, It's a good gun for defense, But the .22LR is more effective then the .25ACP. I wouldn't go smaller then .380ACP, But that is my opinion. It also depends on the quality of the gun too.

Any gun is better than no gun. It's pretty anemic and I wouldn't carry it for self defense. The mob probably had a lot of different purposes than stopping a robbery. Any gun to the back of the head, execution style, will work.

8. Just as everyone is saying,"any gun is better than no gun". The thing with the 25 calliber is knockdown power. Having said that, many confrontations can be handled by a quick presentation of the ability to protect yourself and if you do need to actually use it, chances are you will be within 5 feet or so. Ability to conceal and accurately fire and handle the weapon are most important to me. A 44mag does no good if you cant put it anywhere. I personally carry a 380LCP in the summer and a .45 in the colder months when it is easier to conceal.

As long as you are aware of the limitations and capabilities of the weapon and choose to depend on it, then that is your choice. The handgun you will carry and can shoot well is the right gun for you.

Semper Fi,

A lot of people carried a lot of things once upon a time, doesn't mean it's still a good choice now in 2011. There are much more effective calibers available these days.

11. Quote Originally Posted by alduane View Post
    Any gun is better than no gun. It's pretty anemic and I wouldn't carry it for self defense. The mob probably had a lot of different purposes than stopping a robbery. Any gun to the back of the head, execution style, will work.
    ...except the .25 ACP. I read a story years ago where I guy had a .25 pistol next to his bed on the nightstand for defense. He woke up in the middle of the night with an asthma attack and grabbed the pistol instead of his nasal inhaler. One shot up the nose and he had to drive himself to the hospital. There was no permanent damage.

I'm not saying you can't kill somebody with a .25 but it would be the exception rather than the rule in a self-defense situation. My daily carry gun is 9mm. My other one is .380. The .380 is what I consider minimum for an effective self defense caliber. Modern bullets have done a lot to up the capability of that little round.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast