Church Carry - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Church Carry

FOX News - Colorado Church Gunman Had Grudge Against Christian Group, Cops Say

Update 12/10 11:05am Eastern. New Life Church Pastor Brady Boyd is speaking to the media right now. He reports that the female church security guard rushed toward the gunman in the building when she heard shots ring out. She was stationed at a rotunda. She has a law enforcement background. “She probably saved a hundred lives.” They put the security/evacuation plan in place after hearing about the first church attack. Volunteers joined security details. Armed security all have licenses to carry.

Pastor Boyd: “We’re so grateful to God for giving us the wisdom to do that.”
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Tucker's Mom,

I completely agree with your reply. Nicely put.

A church is a comertial enterprise similar to a movie theater or a sports areana, I assume most people on these forums carry in those places as well.

I went through the process to carry at church in MO. Why...
    1. On the way to church or on the way home I am most likely going to stop at a gas station near my home where a young man was killed for a few dollars. (And it is a nice area of town.)
    2. Most likely we will go out to eat after church. AKA fellowship! YUM!
    3. A church is a very risky place. As noted above... people know there is cash there. People come there for help and sometimes don't like what they hear. (Hopefully, truth and grace.) Pastors do counseling of all types of people.

A side note: A church is not a place that only saints go. The rest of us attend too. I too can't stand religion. It isn't about religion, It is about a relationship.

Psalm 82:3-5

Quote Originally Posted by HootmonSccy View Post
    Most people see church as a place for saints to go to..
    And I guess some are..
    But a real church is a Hospital for people that are hurting..
    Sometimes the people that are hurting just don't get better (For lots of reasons) just like in a medical hospital..

As for setting foot in one... Sounds like you are Anti-religious.
    So am I..
    I just don't let that stand in the way of my relationship with God!!!
    If I can press 10 likes in your post, I would have done a hundred 10s of them. Brilliant!
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by trophyhunter View Post
    Tucker's Mom,

I completely agree with your reply. Nicely put.
    Thanks...........and I am not allow to type less than 15 characters...
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

8. Carry can be compatible with church

In Virginia, state code says carry in a place of worship during services is prohibited *without good reason.* The gun-friendly AG said this summer that self-defense is a good reason, meaning he won't prosecute you if you have a concealed weapon in a church, synagogue, mosque or any other place of worship.

I started carrying my Kel-Tec P3AT in church after the AG's announcement. I even have it when I assist in serving communion, because I don't have anywhere else to put it. I wrestled with the seeming contradictions of trusting in God versus taking precautions, and also whether carrying distracts from proper worship. The P3AT is so small and unobtrusive, I don't even think about it during service. As for trusting in God, I should and do trust God wherever I go, so if I felt that meant not carrying at church (as a sign of my trust), it should mean not carrying at work, the store and everywhere else. However, each worshipper needs to make that decision for himself or herself. If it is a distraction, leave it at home or in the car.

Are churches dangerous? Since the recession, we've had many more people walk in at all hours and during services looking for handouts. We have a benevolence fund set up to help all comers, but we don't give to everyone with no questions asked. When someone's story sounds fishy, we ask questions and sometimes people have gotten belligerent. We run a preschool and have had a few too many incidents of people threatening the preschool teachers so much so we installed secure doors. Now parents have to buzz in. It sucks. Church is a place for the needy and lost to find comfort, but we can't minister to our kids and teachers if they feel like they're in danger.

I guess that's really why I carry at church. Perhaps it's a small, secret ministry to protect others, one that I'm sure I'm woefully underqualified for. Fortunately, we have in our congregation a sheriff's deputy who has sometimes come to church in uniform, fresh from a shift. Plus, I can't count the number of churchmates I've run into at gun shows and the range. I suspect if an armed intruder interrupted a service, I might be the last person to need to draw. Fine with me.

Why wouldn't you carry in church? It's not to protect yourself from the regular attendees necessarily, but rather from the nutbars who are looking for easy victims in a demographic that they hate. It's to protect yourself from the gang-bangers at the gas station when you fill up on the way to church. It's to stop the psycho at the IHOP that you eat at after church. It's to drop the crackhead that broke into your house while you were out.

You can't predict violence, but you can prepare for it.

10. Keeping the members safe.

I carry in church because we have had pimps, ex-spouses , and former gang associates coming in looking for people.
    I want to ensure that church is a safe place.
    If your church is not reaching out to people like this maybe you should read the gospels again.

Some want to live within the sound of church or chapel bell;
    I want to run a rescue shop within a yard of hell.

C. T. Studd, 1860-1931.
    English missionary to China, India, and Africa

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast