Laser targeting... Da or Nyet? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Laser targeting... Da or Nyet?

I think they have their place for short range engagements and low light and also to some degree sheer intimidation. But if you can't shoot straight the laser won't fix that for you, it can only help you.

I tend to think and use laser targeting devices as targeting aids. Although it is sometimes distracting I still try to focus on my weapon's sights.

I have a laser on my Glock though I do not put it on all the time. I practice on both, with and without. It is a lot more fun to detach the laser for my dog to follow. It is really bright and can climb the tree (er, the light, not my dog. LOL) Seriously...it has limited use for me.
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

Only optics can truly replace iron sights. Even then iron sights are still fundamental in zeroing an optic, and as a back up if anything goes wrong with the optic.

Lasers and flash lights are supplements to good tactics. They have their role in various situations. It gives me more options. I train train train ...so when shtf I revert back to training and hopefully naturally pick the correct option for the situation.

Only advantage I see with a laser, as has been previously stated, "point and shoot close quarter defense". In the event you are in this situation you must overcome physical limitations. Fight or flight conditions with normal everyday people (myself included) will result in very little cognitive thinking processes. Your ability to perform your every day shooting and sighting techniques will be overrun by adrenalin. With the use of a laser, at least you do not have to use the sighting techniques you have practiced. Your brain cannot focus on three objects at once. Your brain will not focus on sites in this situation. You will focus on the attacker. Using the laser to aim in this instance could very well be the difference in protecting yourself. If you don't believe me........research it. The brain overloads....a term "condition black". Very few people can overcome this without extensive training. Practice with iron sites!!!! Learn to shoot with iron sites!!!! But don't discount the life saving advantage of instant target acquisition, it may save you.

I must admit that I always thought laser sights were kind of "gimmicky", but found out they can be intimidating. Case in point: I shared those feelings with an acquaintance of mine and he had felt the same way, but told me about a situation he encountered which made him a believer in laser sights, and me too. One night he and his wife had turned off the lights, TV, etc. and were ready to call it a day. All of a sudden there was a "frantic" knock on his front door. He grabbed his laser equipped semi-auto, and told his wife to get the phone and be prepared to call 911. Upon opening the door a found a young lady, naked from the waist up, hysterically screaming, "Let me in, he's going to kill me"! The home owner saw a man sitting in a pick-up truck parked on the street in front of his house with the engine running. As soon as he aimed that little red dot inside the cab of the pick-up, the driver put the vehicle in gear and sped away. I'm not saying lasers are an end-all/be-all answer, but that story made a believer out of me!

I have a Crimson Trace on my carry gun. during the daylight I can not see nor do I look for my "MAGICAL" laser. At night I can not see my sights even with my highly trained eyes and lots of daylight practice. Bottom line is if it helps you acquire the target effectively it is a good thing!

Finally found it...but I can't copy the thread on my phone..if you search for "The False Security of Laser Aiming Devices and Their General Uselessness" By NFTA, there is even more discussion on this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    Finally found it...but I can't copy the thread on my phone..if you search for "The False Security of Laser Aiming Devices and Their General Uselessness" By NFTA, there is even more discussion on this topic.
    Thread is here: http://www.usacarry.com/forums/instr...elessness.html
    Bob Mueller
    Blog | Facebook | Flickr

11. I don't have much use for them myself.

I've been trained to shoot instinctively-AKA 'point shooting'- (and actually PRACTICED what I was trained to do). I know I can hit where I'm looking at close ranges from the hip, chest level or shoulder high if I do my part, so I don't need one for close in shooting.

In my opinion, if you are in a low light situation you don't need a laser you need a FLASHLIGHT. I'm partial to being able to identify my target before shooting. I'm strange that way but I've also discovered that if I can SEE a target, I'm far more likely to hit it.

I also don't see how a little red or green dot on someone's chest is more intimidating than pointing a real live gun at them. If the gun ain't scaring him, I don't see how the little red dot is going to do any good.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast