.327 Federal Magnum (?)

Thread: .327 Federal Magnum (?)

1. .327 Federal Magnum (?)

Anybody have experince with the .327 Federal Magnum? Seems like a neat round. I'm wondering what it compares to i.e. .38 Special, 9mm, .380, etc in terms of both recoil and performance.

When I bought my SP101 357 there was also a 327 available. The dealer told me that the 327 was a good gun but the ammo would be hard to get! Don't know how true that is !!
    I will look towards the hills from whense cometh my help. All my help cometh from the Lord.

I haven't heard anything, pertaining to the Ammo being hard to get.I searched over the Internet, and there was plenty availible

If you've never shot or been present when a 327 fed mag fires, you're in for a real shock when it goes bang. It really goes BANG, somewhat like a 357 mag, however a 357 mag it is NOT. There are those who claim its the right medicine if you're recoil sensitive, in comparison to a 357, HOWEVER, the ammo is a tad bit expensive...although readily available online, and in some stores.

A 3" S&W mod60 is capable of 357mag, and is quite pleasant with 38+P, and will match that 327Fed if not exceed it at combat range. The 38+P is a bunch more common on the store shelves, and probably always will be, AND it'll be cheaper, and it will be seen 'on sale'.

I was amazed at the ear pinging and blast-shockwave of the 327fed...way too much for no gain in performance over the 38+P...

I believe 9mm will beat the 327 hands down, & the 380 will lag a bit behind (but be more concealable)

The penetration charts of the 327fed shows it IS capable of being a self defense round, if that's your main concern.

Good luck in your final decision...

In my opinion, if 357 is too much switch to 38's still using the same gun. 327 is just another caliber to maintain plus a different gun. 38 and 357 are popular enough that ammo should be available most everywhere in the future, 327 could be a short lived fad.
    "You can get a lot accomplished if you don't care who gets the credit" - Ronald Reagan

I'd like to see a 9-shooter in .327Mag, similar to the Taurus 608.