FNH 5.8 Semi Auto - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: FNH 5.8 Semi Auto

Kelcarry Maybe I misread your question.I think that KT will get their problem sorted out pretty quickly. It is likely a feed ramp or spring weight problem. As a home defense weapon, I would choose neither pistol. I use a 12 Ga pump gun and a Colt LWT Commander for home defense.
    War to the Knife, Knife to the hilt.
    If we don't want to live in a trashy area, we all have to be willing to help pick up the trash.

Appreciate all comments. When you get complete reliability, light weight, high capcacity, low recoil, and a calibre that if you are using custom ammunition, will be as effective as a 45, you have an ideal weapon. Cost is high but the firearm is forever. The FN 57 is all these things and I am now shopping.

4. And we have another Fiveseven Convert!

Quote Originally Posted by jathtech View Post
    And we have another Fiveseven Convert!
    Too bad there isn't a Glock Five seveN.

Hey G:It would be a welcome addition to the Glock lineup. Some LEO depts have changed over to the FNH 5.7 and from my due diligence, a great many people in the military use the FNH 5.7.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey G:It would be a welcome addition to the Glock lineup. Some LEO depts have changed over to the FNH 5.7 and from my due diligence, a great many people in the military use the FNH 5.7.
    Then you could change your user name to G5.7

Not Willing to think "Out of the Box."

I do not own the Five SeveN, but I have shot it, and can confirm the .22mag recoil and extremely inherent accuracy of this platform. I noted this had a lot of the same characteristics as the .357Sig and both are what could be considered a "non-standard" cartridge. The problem is, people like standards because they are very easy to understand and explain and they do not step outside of easily defined parameters. In 1941, it was very easy to explain how a .22, a .38 and a .45 all worked in relation to each other - they all had full metal jackets and they all used the same powder. Unfortunately, 70 years has passed, hundreds of technologies have been applied to firearms, powders, bullet design and the firearm itself, and shooters, gun writers, bloggers and "experts" are still talking and using the platitudes of seven decades past!

The FN Five SeveN is a bottle-necked rifle cartridge with a (roughly) long .22 bullet topping it. The problem with this "simplification" is that it now does not allow the round to be "justified" in people's minds between what it looks like, what the statistics say it can do, and what 70 years of platitudes tell us a .22 can, and can't, do. The fact that it is a dynamically engineered round that is pushing the technological envelope and doesn't deserve to be cataloged with ANY other handgun round doesn't seem to matter to anyone discussing or writing about this round. And the fact that you need to pay over $1,000 for the platform to launch this "over-developed, designer plinking round" is absolutely ridiculous...right? (WRONG!) I mean, no ".22 pistol" should cost over $400, and that should be for one of the good, American brands! (Sarcasm included)

There have been so many things talked about in shooting for so long that many of us now believe they are cold, hard facts, when in truth anything can be changed by the application of technology and human ingenuity. One man started in the '80's reading about "One-shot Stops" and read about it for 20 years, then collected actual shooting data for over a decade to find out how often it actually happens. The compilation of his data can be found in a page here and it's very interesting. However, it doesn't support the "Big Bullet Theory" for anyone...not .45, .44mag, .41mag or any big caliber. WE ARE IN A DIFFERENT WORLD than back when the only thing you had to worry about an attacker being was drunk...when was that, say, 70 years ago?

Our thinking MUST change and it must change based on FACT. This is one industry where opinion should really not count for anything because too much of it has been influenced for too long incorrectly. I honestly believe we all do it with the best of intentions, but to one degree or another, we have all been poisoned, either through misinformation, or through information that was, in its time, correct, but is now outdated and we continue to pass it along because we have not updated our own "databases!" :) Let's be open to new technologies, drastically redesigned calibers (a .22 that STOPS like a .45??? I think I need to check this out more!), new frame materials, and anything else that comes along that could make our lives and the lives of those we train easier if we have the CORRECT, UPDATED information to pass along!
    Last edited by TekGreg; 10-18-2011 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Try to add the the sarcasm originally intended and make sure everyone understands this is a serious gun and caliber.
    Edmund Burke: “The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.” – 1784 speech. Taken from Founding Fathers Notes. "The unarmed man is not just defenseless -- he is also contemptible." Machiavelli

Hey Tek: Examine some of the ballistics and some of the gel tests and you can find "CORRECT, UPDATED information to pass along". You discuss needing to check this out more after you basically dismiss the firearm with your "overdeveloped designer plinking round" statement. I guess that is why police around the country have started using this weapon and it is very much used in military circles here and around the world. I assume they all want to "plink" with $1000 guns. If you check ballistics, gel tests and use the 57 Forum to find more information, you will find that this firearm combines, as I said before, low weight, low recoil, high capacity, extreme reliability and accuracy, and lethality---what else do you want in a firearm? $1000?---spread it out over your ownership lifetime and factor in all of its abilities and credentials and it is not expensive--it is a prudent expenditure for an almost perfect handgun. Please check out more details. Your comments were interesting and I would like to see additional comments once you have had a chance review "CORRECT, UPDATED" information.

Kelcarry, I was replying from my phone and that was supposed to be sarcasm! I am in full agreement with you that this is a fully serious carry round and a manstopper. I'm sorry I wasn't able to add the appropriate punctuation to make that clear. I was making fun of the people that thought, since it was "only a .22" that it was just a fancy .22 behind a rifle round, making it a "designer round," a comment that came out of a conversation I actually had with someone! And the SAAMI pressures this gun must have to deal with would fully justify the $1,000 price - I didn't look it up, but the chrono on the round means the pressure and the barrel would have to be better than your standard low-pressure rounds. I know I wouldn't want a round like this coming out of a $400 gun! At least not too many times. The point is, this is a top-quality gun meant to last a lifetime and it fires a fully serious manstopper round as long as you are willing to accept the ballistics and read the facts.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast