FNH 5.8 Semi Auto
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FNH 5.8 Semi Auto

FNH 5.8 Semi Auto

Friend and I are interested in the FNH 5.8. All comments I have seen make it out to be one of the best semi autos out there and certainly very lethal.Also like the idea that it uses a 20 round mag, which puts it into a very effective capacity category. Only concerns we both have is how it "feels" in your hand (large and small (posssibly for wife) and its recoil. We have not found any shops that have this firearm as a rental and we feel it is improper to ask to use same in a shop and then think about purchasing internet---the price difference is at leat $200 and that is a bit of money. Anyone have one of these and how does it compare say to a 38 revolver or a semi auto in the 9mm to 45 size?

I love it. Recoil about like a 22mag, maybe a little more. Loud and lots of muzzle flash though. I have pretty big hands so grip feels good, it's not much different than a Glock 21 or Sig 229. I like the arrangement of the safety also. Its right under your index finger with the correct grip. As for small hands I can't say, I may have to have wife or a friend test that one out. Some indoor ranges won't allow because of velocity. I like, but its a handgun, I like most all of them! I'm kinda on restriction after I brought this one home, Wife had said "NO MORE, You have enough". I traded a Sig and some cash for it so my overall number didn't go up. She didn't see it the same way!
    [

OK had to look while drinking my coffee. Side by side the FN grip is smaller than a Glock 21 or 22. (Yes I had to measure!) If I can figure out how to post a pic I took one of the FN in between a 21 and 22. Its right pretty.
    Attached Images Attached Images FNH 5.8 Semi Auto-grip.jpg 
    [

I don't see a 5.8 model anywhere. Do you mean the 5.7 (Five-SeveN)?

Both weight and recoil are very light. The recoil is so light that the first time I shot one I thought something was wrong with the pistol.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Friend and I are interested in the FNH 5.8. All comments I have seen make it out to be one of the best semi autos out there and certainly very lethal.Also like the idea that it uses a 20 round mag, which puts it into a very effective capacity category. Only concerns we both have is how it "feels" in your hand (large and small (posssibly for wife) and its recoil. We have not found any shops that have this firearm as a rental and we feel it is improper to ask to use same in a shop and then think about purchasing internet---the price difference is at leat $200 and that is a bit of money. Anyone have one of these and how does it compare say to a 38 revolver or a semi auto in the 9mm to 45 size?
    I am going to assume you mean Five Seven which fires the 5.7 x 28 mm round. I have one, and I love it. It is my carry gun, and it is very concealable with the Crossbreed Supertuck. Holds 20+1 rounds, and you can get a 10 round extender if so desired (I didn't). Comes with three magazines. I like the way it feels in my hand though I do have a medium to large hand. Recoil is extremely small though there is a nice amount of muzzle flash, and is louder than other guns.

I also have several revolvers including a .38 special and .357 mag. MY S&W 442 when firing a 158 grain semi-wadcutter +P round has a lot more recoil than the FsN. I ended up getting different ammo because it was beating up my hand. I tried the same ammo in my S&W 681 without any problem at all. I like to say the FsN has the recoil of a .22 while the power of at least a 9mm.

Factory SS195LF and SS197SR ammo isn't bad. If you want specialized ammo, try Elite Ammunition as they have some great rounds for self defense, and more.

I found the FN 5.7 to be over rated. Ammo cost is high, performance in various mediums questionable. Recoil seemed to be similar to a .40 S&W, however performance was comparable to a .22 mag. Will shoot well on the range and on paper, however, shooting at various targets (glass windshield, steel car door, heavy winter clothing, etc.) I found the performance to be seriously lacking. Yes you do have a higher capacity magazine, however, you will need the extra rounds to accomplish the same result that you would normally get with a more common caliber like a 9mm or .40 S&W.

Selecting a firearm for personal protection is a very personal choice. If you ask a dozen people, you'll probably get at least the same number of responses. Some may love it, others won't.
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Cool

Well apparently you have never shot one for real. I find no truth in any of your comments(except the one about getting 12 different responses). Trust me, I might know what I am talking about on this subject.

You compare it to a .22 mag??? are you fricking nuts. I am a 45acp man personally, but I do own one of these and have put about 3,000(sorry typo/not 6k but 3k) rounds down range with it. All credible balistic data I have seen puts it well above a 9mm and about on par with a 45acp(with the correct ammo). I consistently hit 7 out of 10 clay pigeons at 50yds(yes that is yards). You have a necked down 223 rifle round in a pistol. The gun is putting a 40gr projectile at over 2000fps. The wound path has more than proven itself fatal.

As for ammo cost, I usually get it around $18 a box of 50. Quality ammo, made by 2 companies. Not cheap walmart crap you take to the range. What do you pay for your carry ammo? $20 to $30 a box of 25?

The only reason it is not my CC gun is it is too big and I am all about concealment. I carry a SW 360pd in 357mag.

This is using protector ammo, but most people use the best ammo than can find for their carry anyways.

10. hahaha... people love my ballistic busts!

I enjoy mine its lightweight high capacity spits out rounds fast on target recoil is about .32 acp !!!!!! Very accurate if need be punches straight through bulletproof vest both sides what else can be said about it and for those of you said it doesn't work try telling that to the families who lost loved one's at the tragedy at FORT HOOD!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images FNH 5.8 Semi Auto-2010-07-05-17.09.28.jpg 

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast