This is probably a stupid question - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: This is probably a stupid question

1. Not that I'm afraid of getting ripped off I'm afraid I might fail NICS for some reason when it reaches my ffl and it goes through a long return process. It's rare but it CAN happen.

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910:235837
    Quote Originally Posted by Providence Ranch View Post
    I use those stores for research, and then order NIB from the dealer with the best price.
    It used to be that there was an electronics store selling TV's. stereos, cameras, appliances on about every street corner that would let you handle the stuff and look it over to really know what you were getting before you actually bought it. Back in the 70's people started finding great deals on all that stuff in the back of magazines so the local businessed turned into nothing more than display cases. I wonder how long it is going to be the same way with guns that the only dealers left with be the big box stores along with Bud's and a few others and no more being able to actually see or handle before purchasing.

The comparision with cars isn't too far off, it is just that we are conditioned to think that way. If you think that a dealer gives you a discount for something that has happened while people were looking at it then you were paying too much to start with.
    Sorry, guy. Buying a firearm is a bit different to me than buying a blender or a toaster oven. But I'd bet you in that mom and pop shop, if you decided you wanted that blender, they would go in the back and grab you one still in the box. That's how its supposed to be. Don't blame the consumer for asking more of the market when every dollar is becoming more precious with the moment.

I'm not condeming anyone but simply pointing out how things are changing. The demise of the mom and pop shops is simply an effect of today's economy and communication methods such as the Internet. You want the best price on anything that you purchase and no one is wrong for that. For any store to have one item on display such as a blender that they will never sell cuts into their profit greatly on the remaining blenders. Or look at it this way if a gun dealer is going to put out a Glock 21 for the customers to handle and abuse but never sell how many Glock 21's will he have to sell to cover the cost of that 21 on display?

Just for example say a dealers cost on a Glock is $500 and he sells them for $550. That means if he sells 10 but has to have one on display he has so far no profit and nothing to cover his other overheads. To make it even worse a large number of those handling it come in just to look at it then go to Bud's and buy it for $525 as due to volume Bud's get better pricing and sell at lower prices and doesn't have to figure in a display model.

I am not saying this is wrong or chastising anyone for it but the days of the mom and pop stores are slipping away. Besides all the talk about a getting a gun in the box vs. the display model is overblown as when you walk out the door it becomes a second-hand gun and the first time you shoot your gun it becomes a used gun. The same way as when you drive your new car off the lot it may only have 3 miles on it but it is now a used car with a used car value.

Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Deserteagle View Post
    Do you also refuse to buy cars with more than zero miles on them? Do you refuse to buy a car if somebody has opened the driver side door and then slammed it shut? God help you if you bought something that has been touched by somebody else...
    If I was a snob, I would tell you to buy a $1400 Kimber.
    If nothing else, I'd say the slide being racked a number of times prior to getting it will just be someone elses helping the break in process. Having said that, I've never purchased out of the case but always from NIB from the back-stock. I've not asked for such, the clerks have always just went back and got one...

BTW, a pretty Kimber is something you show your friends, a Glock is something you show your enemy. ;-)
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    I'm not condeming anyone but simply pointing out how things are changing. The demise of the mom and pop shops is simply an effect of today's economy and communication methods such as the Internet. You want the best price on anything that you purchase and no one is wrong for that. For any store to have one item on display such as a blender that they will never sell cuts into their profit greatly on the remaining blenders. Or look at it this way if a gun dealer is going to put out a Glock 21 for the customers to handle and abuse but never sell how many Glock 21's will he have to sell to cover the cost of that 21 on display?

Just for example say a dealers cost on a Glock is $500 and he sells them for $550. That means if he sells 10 but has to have one on display he has so far no profit and nothing to cover his other overheads. To make it even worse a large number of those handling it come in just to look at it then go to Bud's and buy it for $525 as due to volume Bud's get better pricing and sell at lower prices and doesn't have to figure in a display model.

I am not saying this is wrong or chastising anyone for it but the days of the mom and pop stores are slipping away. Besides all the talk about a getting a gun in the box vs. the display model is overblown as when you walk out the door it becomes a second-hand gun and the first time you shoot your gun it becomes a used gun. The same way as when you drive your new car off the lot it may only have 3 miles on it but it is now a used car with a used car value.
    I don't think the dealer having the Glock 21 on display will loose the entire cost of it. He/she will likely sell the display at a discount, right? So if they sell the display unit for 425, well, that's something. Besides, if they by 10 or more at a time from Glock or from a warehouse, will they not get a discount of any kind? I dunno, just thought I'd toss it out there.
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

Quote Originally Posted by rifleshooter474:235450
    If any firearm can be damaged just by dry firing or racking the slide, it is not a very good firearm in the first place.
    Do a google search for breech face failures, there seems to be a lot of evidence that disagrees with you. Many posts specifically mention glocks and have pictures to back up their claims. I think it is a simple thing to avoid by using snap caps. But hey if you want to offend the glock guys here, give me a second to put on my fireproof boxers first.

Quote Originally Posted by tuts40:235926

BTW, a pretty Kimber is something you show your friends, a Glock is something you show your enemy. ;-)
    LMAO! I love it!

@FN1910 and tuts40...

Good points. Tuts you were right along my line of thinking. Problem is, I've never encountered a gun shop owner willing to discount the show model. Because then the next show model comes out of the box and IT gets discounted, and so on. I feel for the small businesses, but let me put this spin on it:

If it weren't so damned difficult and expensive in some states to simply own and operate a small business, their prices would be lower, and we wouldn't be having this discussion. I know you're not casting blame, but if we are looking for solutions (as opposed to gratuitous venting, which is fun) let's look to the lawmakers and burdensome workplace regulations that really are driving small businesses out of business.

Quote Originally Posted by Cotillion View Post
    No but would you buy a cell phone off the demo shelf? And if you did would you pay full price? Would you pay the same price at best buy for the tv outside of the box that was used for display only? How about that brand new laptop? I could go on all night so let me ask you this, what would you buy for full price that has been used and handled by dozens, maybe hundreds of people?

Your car argument was fail btw, a new car has been handled but is thoroughly cleaned and maintenanced before buying it, these gun stores just hand it over. There's also room for price negotiation if there's anything wrong, from the smallest scratch and up. If to many people use said car it becomes a used car and goes down in value. You fail at trolling lady
    Funny thing is, the TV sitting in front of me was a display TV! Oh no! It works great!
    Your argument was a fail. Every car is "handled". Every car in the parking lot at your local dealer has been driven before. They didnt assemble the car and then neatly unwrap it in the parking spot. And guess what? When you test drive a car, you are test driving the car you or somebody else will be buying!
    Also dont forget that many, if not all firearms have a couple rounds put through them before you even own it, so whether you like it or not, your gun is probably used even if it came fresh out of a box.

Calling me a lady? I hope that is just ignorance rather than ignorance combined with sexism.
    Fail for you!

Quote Originally Posted by cougaram View Post
    Don't call someone a snob just because you can't afford or justify buying a Kimber. I treasure mine!
    That was not an attack on Kimber. It was a response to Cotillion calling me a snob for talking about my Glock that is only "500 dollars" which is apparently not expensive enough for him/her.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast