Unique Personal Identiy Number (UPIN) - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Unique Personal Identiy Number (UPIN)

Spoke to NICS on 4/10/12 November 2011 requests being proccessed this month. Told me 109 days on November 29 2011 in letter saying they recieved my request, red tape delayed it a little longer lol.
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    I refuse to give the SS number to anyone unless they're reporting tax information. ID theft is easy because so many companies use your SS as a customer ID and then don't guard the data very well. I was once asked for my SS number by Verizon Wireless when getting a new cell phone contract. I gave them a fake.
    My former employer wanted to use our SSN as an employee number. Till they were told that if they did, it wasn't covered by state laws for keeping records non-public. And the first person that had an identity theft case could take them to court on it. That changed their thinking real quick. The UPIN is needed when Identity Theft has happened as there may be someone out here using your SSN.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Well recieved a letter on 4/20/2012 from the FBI. It included my FBI record. What an eye opener! So I read it and it says not eligible to be entered into VAF. I read futher and find that a case from 1982 has no disposition as they so kindly highlighted. I know the case was NA (no action). So I go crazy looking for the disposition and find an original Clerk of Courts document that says Diligent Examanation of Files and Records in my Office Fails to find any Felony or Misdemeanor Record (s) for the below named person. A phone call to FBI and told to mail it and the entire application back with the original search of records document. Mailing it today. So just go get the dispositions from the Clerk of Courts for any case you may or not remember this will save time. Will get another original on Monday. Hope this helps others have a smoother process.

Quote Originally Posted by danh View Post
    That's what your social security numbers for.
    Mistake! Don't give your SS number to anyone unless they're reporting taxes or wage info. It's not to be used as an identifier. OK for banks, employment, credit checks. Don't provide this number to a doctors office, phone company, etc.

I love the way banks have coined the term "identity theft." They loan money to someone who claims to be you and then try to pawn the mistake off on you by saying your identity was stolen. My identity wasn't stolen. I'm still me. The fact is they got ripped off.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

eanor
    Quote Originally Posted by Seeya View Post
    Well recieved a letter on 4/20/2012 from the FBI. It included my FBI record. What an eye opener! So I read it and it says not eligible to be entered into VAF. I read futher and find that a case from 1982 has no disposition as they so kindly highlighted. I know the case was NA (no action). So I go crazy looking for the disposition and find an original Clerk of Courts document that says Diligent Examanation of Files and Records in my Office Fails to find any Felony or Misdemeanor Record (s) for the below named person. A phone call to FBI and told to mail it and the entire application back with the original search of records document. Mailing it today. So just go get the dispositions from the Clerk of Courts for any case you may or not remember this will save time. Will get another original on Monday. Hope this helps others have a smoother process.
    Well I was a little busy making ends meet and jumping thru hoops. So here is the update from the above date and post. I sent the search of records with the package they sent me back to the FBI on 4/21/2012.

Recievied package back 5/18/2012. Went back to Clerk of Courts, show the Clerk the case on the FBI rap sheet and asked what do I need to do, he said he had been thru this before. The FBI had it listed as felony. He said it was most likely a misdemeanor. Took a week for the Cleark to get the Arrest Report, so he could find the Court Case File and issue a Dispostion. Mailed this back to FBI on 6/1/2012.

Whew!!!!! Finally got my UPIN # Today! 6/30/2012 I started this red tape on 10/18/2011 (paperwork) mailed on 10/18/2011 recieved UPIN # today 6/30/2012.

Roughly 7 & 1/2 months.

I might just go out for a JW Blue!!

7. Quote Originally Posted by Seeya View Post
    eanor

Well I was a little busy making ends meet and jumping thru hoops. So here is the update from the above date and post. I sent the search of records with the package they sent me back to the FBI on 4/21/2012.

Recievied package back 5/18/2012. Went back to Clerk of Courts, show the Clerk the case on the FBI rap sheet and asked what do I need to do, he said he had been thru this before. The FBI had it listed as felony. He said it was most likely a misdemeanor. Took a week for the Cleark to get the Arrest Report, so he could find the Court Case File and issue a Dispostion. Mailed this back to FBI on 6/1/2012.

Whew!!!!! Finally got my UPIN # Today! 6/30/2012 I started this red tape on 10/18/2011 (paperwork) mailed on 10/18/2011 recieved UPIN # today 6/30/2012.

Roughly 7 & 1/2 months.

I might just go out for a JW Blue!!

wow, it sounds like a daunting task. I'm at the beginning stages of the same road you went down. I sent in my VAF application on 10/01/12 this thread helps give me a feel for the time frame ahead. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by GIFF View Post
    wow, it sounds like a daunting task. I'm at the beginning stages of the same road you went down. I sent in my VAF application on 10/01/12 this thread helps give me a feel for the time frame ahead. Thanks for the info.
    Good Luck keep us updated on your progress.

9. Update as follows:
    I mailed in my VAF application on 10-01-12 .....
    Today 10-15-12 I received a letter from the U.S. Department of Justice / Federal Bureau of Investigation
    The Subject: "Application Acknowledgement" from (NICS) National Criminal Background Check (VAF) Voluntary Appeal File
    My application has been forwarded on to the (AST) Appeal Service Team for further processing.
    With that I am to be advised the VAF applications are processed in the order in which they are received, that being said they are experiencing a high volume of requests and are currently processing applications received in August 2012.

I will update as time goes on and there is something new to add or report. At this point I can only assume that I am approximately three months away from my turn at review.

If any of you are interested in having some of your questions answered directly you can call 1-877-FBI-NICS (324-6427)

Downloadable application link http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nic...ochure_eng.pdf
    Read about the FAQ's at FBI — NICS Appeal Frequently Asked Questions
    I hope this helps someone who may not know how to begin the process of obtaining a U-PIN number

Well update and info for all UPIN people. I found pistol I wanted a few days ago went in did the paperwork gave the FFL my UPIN and still got a conditional. Will pick it up on Tuesday. Out of town till then. What I found out is if the FFL uses the computer system it's automatic a conditional even with a UPIN. If they phone it in and tell the agent it's a UPIN it gets aprroved in 5-10 minutes. Lesson learned.

Why register guns when they have successfully registered people?

Sent from my SM-N920T using USA Carry mobile app
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast