Would you help a civilian and/or LEO? - Page 3

View Poll Results: Would you help a civilian and/or LEO?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would help both

    28 73.68%
  • I would help the civilian, not the LEO.

    0 0%
  • I would help the LEO, not the civilian.

    6 15.79%
  • I would not help either.

    4 10.53%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 44

Thread: Would you help a civilian and/or LEO?

  1. I help the LEO the civi gets a 911 call the guy on the ground could be the BG I would hate to help the rapist or worse get away

  2.   
  3. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltcreek View Post
    As a retired LEO, I would not help the civilian. From experience, I have had men and women fighting where you think you are stopping a domestic, and they BOTH turn on you when you "help". A civilian has no experience to judge or know in most cases, who is the real victim and who is the perpetrator. You may end up in jail with them. Tell them your calling 911 and stay out of the way. Help the Cop if you can, but don't make your wife a widow.
    Yes, be wary of "domestic" situations. Often, they will unite against a common enemy.......you!

  4. What saltcreek said was right on the money. About 5 years ago I pulled up to my friends apartment complex and as I was driving slowly down to his building I saw a black male straight punch a very petite white female. Her knees buckled and I stopped and about 100 thoughts ran through my head and as I went to grab my phone to call 911 the man actually kicked the girl in the face! I jumped out of my truck and went towards him. He started saying he was gonna F me up and all the other nonsense people afraid to fight say in hopes of not actually having to throw a punch. I grabbed him by the throat and kicked his legs out, ending up on his back telling the girl to call the cops. What does she do? Attacks me! She slapped me god knows how many times, scratches me and pulls my hair all the while I'm trying to keep this guy subdued. I end up telling the guy ill hurt him if he moves, I get up and start jogging to my vehicle. He was smart enough to not attack me but while the woman with her busted bloody face was hugging him and asking if he was hurt he screamed every threat in the book at me. His homeboys was gonna git at me supposedly.

    After that I decided never to get involved with anyone else's problems ever again.

  5. Despite what people say, you CAN tell a lot about a book by its cover. If I see a thug jumping an old lady, or a clean cut civilian I will probably intervene with reasonable force.

    Now, if Bubba is smacking up his Trailer Queen, or if Tyrone is trying to punch Jamal with one hand while he holds his pants up with the other. Iíll watch from a distance for my own amusement.
    I'm not sure if that was a werewolf, or a hairy homeless guy... either way... the silver bullets worked.

  6. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    Would you help a civilian?

    Would you help an LEO?

    Would you help both?

    Wouldn't help either?

    Common sense: We are NOT talking about opening a door, rather a more aggressive scenario. In life, you won't have all the information, so base it off of what you feel you would do in any given circumstance.

    Ok...so generalization was completely missed.

    Instructions: Take the scenarios word for word. If it's not in the scenario you do not know the information. If I did not put that other people were around, then no one was around.

    Scenario 1: You walk outside a restaurant after dinner. You turn the corner to head towards your car. Upon reaching your car, you see 25 yards away, in the next parking lot a police officer on his back, with 2 people surrounding him trying to strike him. Officer looks to be of medium build, while the two attackers look to be of large build. The officer is protecting his head. What do you do?

    Scenario 2: You walk outside a restaurant after dinner. You turn the corner to head towards your car. Upon reaching your car, you see 25 yards away in the next parking lot, a civilian on his back, with 2 people surrounding him trying to strike him. Victim looks to be of a medium build, while the two attackers look to be of a large build. Victim is protecting his head. What do you do?
    Problem with both scenarios- You have no way of knowing who is the LEO and who is the BG. You could easily end up shooting an innocent person or you could end up shot by a LEO, uniformed or not.

  7. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltcreek View Post
    As a retired LEO, I would not help the civilian. From experience, I have had men and women fighting where you think you are stopping a domestic, and they BOTH turn on you when you "help". A civilian has no experience to judge or know in most cases, who is the real victim and who is the perpetrator. You may end up in jail with them. Tell them your calling 911 and stay out of the way. Help the Cop if you can, but don't make your wife a widow.
    Great advice. One advantage of CC is that when you start making noise and dialing 911you do have the abilit y to defend yourself if necessary.

  8. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Houston Metro Area, Texas
    Posts
    3,004
    Second thought remains same 25 years as a paramedic helping people still got into fights while trying to help. LEO yes, civilian move to CA under Jerry Browns new law on carry.

  9. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotillion View Post
    What saltcreek said was right on the money. About 5 years ago I pulled up to my friends apartment complex and as I was driving slowly down to his building I saw a black male straight punch a very petite white female. Her knees buckled and I stopped and about 100 thoughts ran through my head and as I went to grab my phone to call 911 the man actually kicked the girl in the face! I jumped out of my truck and went towards him. He started saying he was gonna F me up and all the other nonsense people afraid to fight say in hopes of not actually having to throw a punch. I grabbed him by the throat and kicked his legs out, ending up on his back telling the girl to call the cops. What does she do? Attacks me! She slapped me god knows how many times, scratches me and pulls my hair all the while I'm trying to keep this guy subdued. I end up telling the guy ill hurt him if he moves, I get up and start jogging to my vehicle. He was smart enough to not attack me but while the woman with her busted bloody face was hugging him and asking if he was hurt he screamed every threat in the book at me. His homeboys was gonna git at me supposedly.

    After that I decided never to get involved with anyone else's problems ever again.
    You were able to provide a very different type of family unification that day. Some people pay big money for therapy for that kind of issue!

    The enemy of my enemy is.....wait....he's not my enemy.....today....I think....but I don't want to be alone...

    Yes, dysfunction can be very dangerous.

  10. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Pasco, Washington, United States
    Posts
    6,271
    Quote Originally Posted by wallyb View Post
    Problem with both scenarios- You have no way of knowing who is the LEO and who is the BG. You could easily end up shooting an innocent person or you could end up shot by a LEO, uniformed or not.
    There is no problems with my scenarios. I said in the instructions, take it word for word. I said, you see an LEO on his back. Therefore, you see an LEO on his back. I explicitly said do not add anything or subtract anything from the scenarios. In the 2nd scenario, you see a civilian (don't know if he is good or bad) on his back. Civilian is not an LEO, because I never said he was. (This is a lot of the ways they test for paramedic...we were not allowed to ask, "is the family with the patient?"...all they would do is look at you, or say "what does the scenario say?")

  11. #30
    My definition of help: Cell phone first; intervene last resort.
    If the officer or person is on the ground, I will try to see that they don't get killed. You can yell, scream, etc. that you called the police. Video cameras on cell phones are great tools. Learn how to operate one. It will make a great back up in court.
    Last resort, person is being beaten unmercifully, I would find it difficult not to do something to try to help.

    Psalm 82:3-5

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast