Would you help a civilian and/or LEO? - Page 4

View Poll Results: Would you help a civilian and/or LEO?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would help both

28 73.68%
  • I would help the civilian, not the LEO.

0 0%
  • I would help the LEO, not the civilian.

6 15.79%
  • I would not help either.

4 10.53%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Would you help a civilian and/or LEO?

1. That line about"be a good witness" is pure BS. In order for that to be of any value, the BG has to be caught and taken to trial. In the meantime, the victim is being beaten,robbed, killed, or whatever. Just come out and say you don't give crap about the other person and be done with it.
    I'll do what I feel is right at the time and the act will be justified in MY MIND regardless of the final outcome. Sometimes you've just got to have some balls and do what's right. Modern society and the effect of indescriminate lawsuits have caused the concept of "doing the right thing" to be put aside.
    Look at it this way. If it was your parent,grandparent, sibling,spouse, child, or whatever being assualted, would you want or expect ME to come to their aid? I would hope someone would help those close to me and I damn sure will make the effort to do the same for someone else.

Depending on the situation, I would help both of them.

4. If I were younger and with no family to support, there is no way I would stay out of the fray. I could not stand by and watch an LEO or civilian take that. However... I AM older and my first obligation and most important concern is to stay uninjured and healthy in order to take care of my family, first, and foremost so I voted NO. If I sound uncaring and unfeeling, so be it. The most important factors in my life are, in order, God, family, church, community, and then myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Rider:235857
    Depending on the situation, I would help both of them.
    Situations in the op

Quote Originally Posted by cougaram:235860
    If I were younger and with no family to support, there is no way I would stay out of the fray. I could not stand by and watch an LEO or civilian take that. However... I AM older and my first obligation and most important concern is to stay uninjured and healthy in order to take care of my family, first, and foremost so I voted NO. If I sound uncaring and unfeeling, so be it. The most important factors in my life are, in order, God, family, church, community, and then myself.
    Valid points.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobuck:235850
    That line about"be a good witness" is pure BS. In order for that to be of any value, the BG has to be caught and taken to trial. In the meantime, the victim is being beaten,robbed, killed, or whatever. Just come out and say you don't give crap about the other person and be done with it.
    I'll do what I feel is right at the time and the act will be justified in MY MIND regardless of the final outcome. Sometimes you've just got to have some balls and do what's right. Modern society and the effect of indescriminate lawsuits have caused the concept of "doing the right thing" to be put aside.
    Look at it this way. If it was your parent,grandparent, sibling,spouse, child, or whatever being assualted, would you want or expect ME to come to their aid? I would hope someone would help those close to me and I damn sure will make the effort to do the same for someone else.
    Thank you. I like your post.

7. I've helped both citizens and LEO's in the past when they needed it.

I'd do it again.

By the way....Cops are civilians.
    I am Infantry, follow me!

Quote Originally Posted by Valorius:235886

By the way....Cops are civilians.
    True, most cops are civilians, but most civilians aren't cops. So I was making a distinction. Thank you for the post though :-)

I'm most likely helping both.

First in both situations, I'm most likely calling 911 to see if anything has been reported.

Scenario 1:
    If the LEO is asking for help, I'm there in a heartbeat; even if I'm not armed.

Number 2 is a bit more tricky.
    Since I didn't see the altercation from the onset. 911 is likely to be the extent of my involvement & help. However, if I see that the victim is going to be beat to DEATH, or the attackers turn on me because I've called 911, the intensity of my involvement will most likely escalate.

-

Quote Originally Posted by cougaram View Post
    If I were younger and with no family to support, there is no way I would stay out of the fray. I could not stand by and watch an LEO or civilian take that. However... I AM older and my first obligation and most important concern is to stay uninjured and healthy in order to take care of my family, first, and foremost so I voted NO. If I sound uncaring and unfeeling, so be it. The most important factors in my life are, in order, God, family, church, community, and then myself.
    Ok, since you brought the importance of "GOD" up, we are commanded by GOD to love HIM with all our heart, with all our soul and with all our mind... We are also told that we are to love our "neighbor" (fellow man); as our self. [Matthew 22:37-39]

That tells me that GOD comes before everything; and my fellow man comes in "almost" as important. (A close "second")

We are also told by "God" to treat "others" as "we" ourselves would like to be treated. ("Do unto others as you would have them do unto you") The golden rule tells me, I have to act on the behalf of my fellow man in the same manner as I would myself.

So, I would look at the circumstance and ask myself, "If I was taking a SEVERE beatdown, would I want a "christian" brother to step in and help by whatever means necessary."

Just something to think about-

-

11. Hell Yeah I would help. Im all about a fair fight, but Im goofy. I would try to look for something to hit an attacker with. With the cop its a little iffy. What if the attackers have his gun? I would still take the risk and do something. Probably call 911 on my way over.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast