Would you help a civilian and/or LEO? - Page 5

View Poll Results: Would you help a civilian and/or LEO?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would help both

28 73.68%
  • I would help the civilian, not the LEO.

0 0%
  • I would help the LEO, not the civilian.

6 15.79%
  • I would not help either.

4 10.53%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Would you help a civilian and/or LEO?

1. Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    True, most cops are civilians, but most civilians aren't cops. So I was making a distinction. Thank you for the post though :-)
    With the exception of military police, all cops are civilians, and citizens. They are the "Civilian authority."

Anyway, i've helped them in the past and would again, so long as i felt they were in the right.
    I am Infantry, follow me!

Quote Originally Posted by Valorius:236152
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    True, most cops are civilians, but most civilians aren't cops. So I was making a distinction. Thank you for the post though :-)
    With the exception of military police, all cops are civilians, and citizens. They are the "Civilian authority."

Anyway, i've helped them in the past and would again, so long as i felt they were in the right.
    Yup, that's why I said most cops. Glad you have a level head in life.

I would have a hard time NOT getting involved in some way, and although I dont have much respect or sympathy for cops, stopping the attack would probably help in the gathering of intel on the situation of who is the bad/good guy....... besides maybe saving someones life...

There was a looooong thread about a yr ago if I remember correctly about this same subject...... Quite a heated one (with me being probably the MOST heated) and I will end this post with my main point from THAT thread... If I am having an altercation (fight) with the cops, THEY are the bad guy, period, I would NEVER do anything disrespectful or treat anyone in a way I would not want to be treated BUT... and it is a BIG BUT!!! I will defend myself against ANYONE infringing on my rights and/or life including using deadly force... and it does NOT matter if the one who is attacking me has a badge/uniform or not.... (it needs to be said here that if I am pulled over for speeding or whatever, I have no problems with it, and say sir and such, and am very polite/compliant) I just dont want any of you to be coming to the cops rescue by shooting me before you know who is the instigator/bad guy....

Very thought provoking scenarios.

Since the scenario does not involve lethality (getting beat up sucks, but getting killed is pretty final), my snap decision would be to help both. I've had an experience similar to scenario two, and when I chose to get involved, I kept it to fists since they kept it at fists the whole time, and the two cowards beating on a single guy retreated (I ambushed them and shoved both to the ground). Turned out the guy I "saved" had asked out one of the other guy's girlfriends so the two had decided on some personal justice. Wierd outcome but I just felt drawn to the conflict so I acted.

The LEO scenario isn't lethal as written, but there is a gun involved already presumably from the LEO, so the answer to that again is yes, I'd more than likely act. Question to me is how? Running in with your own gun drawn creates some "level of force"/"brandishing" issues, but I'm pretty sure as long as the situation doesn't escalate to the USE of lethal force the cop is probably going to be pretty forgiving toward you for helping him out. But, running in with gun drawn, bad guys go for weapons, shooting starts...you just became the instigator of a lethal force application and opened yourself up to all sorts of legal issues.

Sucks that our culture has put us in a position where we have to worry about if helping someone out is going to lead to getting sued or prosecuted, but it's reality.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345