My first hunting handgun... Glock 20

Thread: My first hunting handgun... Glock 20

1. My first hunting handgun... Glock 20

First of all, Hello, I am new to this forum. Been lurking for a few days.

Anyway, I am an avid hunter and want to start with a pistol. I shot all the big revolvers and had nearly settled for a Blackhawk UNTIL I rented the Glock 20.I fell in love with the 10mm. So, now I have ordered the Glock 20 but need to get it setup. I will be shooting double tap 200gr rounds. They are 1300fps and 750ft lbs...

My question is what needs to be done. Should I get Lone Wolf SS replacement barrel? Sights?...wtc.... Any advice on this gun is appreciated.

You need nothing but practice. Get some ammo and shoot. Short sessions, known and unknown distances out past 100.

This is my routine with an encore and it works as long as your goal is to make every shot count.

Have fun.

-Matt

4. If ya wanna put a scope on it look at THEGLOCKSTORE.COM as they sell a couple of mounts to put something on it. Maybe a tungsten spring/guide rod combo for forward balance. Been lookin at doing this myself.

5. Also ya maybe a different barrel. KKM 6" barrel and then practice out to 100. They have those at the glockstore.com also.

JSDinTexas Guest
    I have a G20 and put a mount and reflex sight on it. I designed it for hunting deer. The only comment I have is that a handgun is not used for long range targets - I consider less than 50 yds to be the absolute maximum to be confident of not just hitting the target, but hitting it in the right place for a clean kill as all responsible hunters should do.
    So a scope may be more than is needed and I wouldn't invest in one. The reflex sight I put on was a cheapie but it does fine, and is better than the iron sights in my opinion. This is because I don't go out farther than 30-40 yds.
    Consider this too: A friend and I were talking and he told me about hunting hogs with his Kimber Govt 5" - he said he was shooting at one about 50 yds out and was "hitting all around it." This guy is a good shot, almost as good as me. :>) But this speaks to the limitations of a 5" barrel on the unstable platform of a handgun.

Glock makes a 6" "hunting" barrel for the G20, you might want one.

8. Quote Originally Posted by JSDinTexas:236907
    I have a G20 and put a mount and reflex sight on it. I designed it for hunting deer. The only comment I have is that a handgun is not used for long range targets - I consider less than 50 yds to be the absolute maximum to be confident of not just hitting the target, but hitting it in the right place for a clean kill as all responsible hunters should do.
    So a scope may be more than is needed and I wouldn't invest in one. The reflex sight I put on was a cheapie but it does fine, and is better than the iron sights in my opinion. This is because I don't go out farther than 30-40 yds.
    Consider this too: A friend and I were talking and he told me about hunting hogs with his Kimber Govt 5" - he said he was shooting at one about 50 yds out and was "hitting all around it." This guy is a good shot, almost as good as me. :>) But this speaks to the limitations of a 5" barrel on the unstable platform of a handgun.
    Which reflex sight do you use?