"What If", Vol. XXVI - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "What If", Vol. XXVI

Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    Read a little closer, Mom. I said I'd call 911 if I saw somebody forcing their way into a neighbor's house, not simply walking up to the front door. The guy I saw walking to their front door merely caught my attention.
    That's what happens when we have many beautiful days in a row then rain like buggery -- I easily get distracted thinking of my dog's muddy tracks in my newly steamed carpet instead of reading closely. Can I say sorry???
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

Tatted said it all for me. I am not an LEO, I am not trained as an LEO and last I looked, my firearm was for imminent danger to me. In SC we do have an alter ego rule, which allows me to act on someone else's behalf if I believe they are in imminent danger. Looking out my window does not, IMHO, mean imminent danger to anyone. You call 911 and stay alert. You go over to your neighbor's house you can be killed, you can make a very big and bad mistake, or you can be the hero of the day. One out of three is not good odds.

Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Blog Entries
    It's not the "training" or lack of it (many here are trained very well) that would, in my opinion, make us want to call 911 and observe only. It's the better chance of not being mis-identified as a thug (hold your bad cop experiences for another thread) when in an LEO uniform, along with having the authority to be there to take action AND the better chance of not being sued for any "activity" you might become involved in.

For me, I'd have a hard time just waiting for the cops wondering what harm MIGHT (or might not) befalling my friends and neighbors and yet I don't want to act irresponsibly. I honestly don't know what I'd do.

Kelcarry made good points up there, but man would it be hard to not want to actively help your neighbor, but perhaps Kel's points should be seriously considered...
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

Quote Originally Posted by tuts40 View Post
    It's not the "training" or lack of it (many here are trained very well) that would, in my opinion, make us want to call 911 and observe only. It's the better chance of not being mis-identified as a thug (hold your bad cop experiences for another thread) when in an LEO uniform, along with having the authority to be there to take action AND the better chance of not being sued for any "activity" you might become involved in.
    The whole misidentification thing is big. A LEO comes on the scene and sees me with a gun.....let's just say that he/she could now pose a bigger threat to me than the perp. I'm inclined to stay put and wait, but then I start thinking......what if I hear my neighbor's wife start to scream........?

I take comfort in the fact that it's highly unlikely that I'll ever be in this situation, but it good to discuss these things. Being prepared is the first step.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker's Mom View Post
    That's what happens when we have many beautiful days in a row then rain like buggery -- I easily get distracted thinking of my dog's muddy tracks in my newly steamed carpet instead of reading closely. Can I say sorry???
    No need. Next time just shout at me in ALL CAPS and tell me to make myself clearer next time
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12