erie county ny pistol permit questions&answers
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: erie county ny pistol permit questions&answers

1. Question erie county ny pistol permit questions&answers

on 6~1~11 i was fingerprinted in lackawana erie county ny. on 9~2~11
    the sherrifs department called to do a interview with me it took maybe 10 min's. after we were threw he told me that he had already contacted my 4 ref's and they all checked out well. then he asked one more question, while did you apply for a full carry i told him since ive been hurt yrs ago on the job and now disabled on disability
    ect. i have benn attacked twice once with my 12yr and once by myself he chucled alittle and said there's no crime in hamburg i said look into the police reports that was all he told me looks good for you. my question is it took only 3 months to get interviewed and contact and research the ref's now how long will it take for the judge to make a decition? or somthing anyone know the answer

Took me about 13 months from submitting my app to getting my pistol. They usually want you to have your permit for about 5 years before getting full carry but given your circumstances you may get it. I would however expect an interview with the judge if he does consider it. Good luck to you.

4. thax thats awful long time i should have used my address in sinclairville ny

It'll all depend on the judge whether they issue a Target/Hunting permit or Unrestricted permit. Have had ours for about 10 yrs. My wife was given Unrestricted immediately since she's a realtor and sometimes meets 'strangers' alone at vacant homes. My job took me into not-so-good neighborhoods and vacant homes, but I didn't have a compelling enough reason to carry....even after producing photos of bullet holes in windows, knives and needles on the floors, etc. Took about 5 yrs with target/hunting restrictions to prove I wasn't an idiot with a gun to get upgraded to Unrestricted. I guess they figured that I didn't shoot myself or someone else by accident in that time, so I was now qualified enough for Unrestricted permit.

What they didn't consider was...1. I don't (have time to) hunt...and 2. the range has strict safety rules, so the likelihood of an "accident" there was minimal. So the fallacy is... If you can't carry, the limitations they impose almost guarantee you won't be able to carry your weapon the way you want or need to...in order for them to assess your ability to carry responsibly.

My advice... get the permit and get familiar with your chosen weapon.... join a club and practice. The fact that you're in a gun club tells them you're interested in safety and have a safe place to shoot.

That practice will also give you an opportunity to test different carry methods/locations so you can have an idea of what size gun, full size, compact, sub-compact fits you best, given whatever disability you have.

For example, I know some people who work in environments where they can carry a full size pistol because they can leave their shirt hanging out & over the weapon. However, since I need to have a shirt (polo or dress) tucked in, I need to pocket carry. That requires a lightweight sub-compact, otherwise, it's tough to sit down comfortably, or to keep your pants/shorts up.

Sorry for being long-winded.. Hope this helps.

Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Blog Entries
    Good grief. NY? ...No, thank you.
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

Quote Originally Posted by tuts40:236901
    Good grief. NY? ...No, thank you.
    Ill second that, the pro gun org' s that state really need to start doing their job! It' s nuts that the residents go through that crap.

Quote Originally Posted by snatale42 View Post
    Ill second that, the pro gun org' s that state really need to start doing their job! It' s nuts that the residents go through that crap.
    Can you carry on a bus? In a bar? Public transportation? Church? Hospital? Is your permit renewable or good for life? Everyone is going through this in one form or another. The denial is alive in well all over America.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    on 6~1~11 i was fingerprinted in lackawana erie county ny. on 9~2~11
    the sherrifs department called to do a interview with me it took maybe 10 min's. after we were threw he told me that he had already contacted my 4 ref's and they all checked out well. then he asked one more question, while did you apply for a full carry i told him since ive been hurt yrs ago on the job and now disabled on disability
    ect. i have benn attacked twice once with my 12yr and once by myself he chucled alittle and said there's no crime in hamburg i said look into the police reports that was all he told me looks good for you. my question is it took only 3 months to get interviewed and contact and research the ref's now how long will it take for the judge to make a decition? or somthing anyone know the answer
    Probably not a good idea to talk about being attacked during the interview. When you're ready, contact me via PM and we'll see about getting any restrictions lifted for ya.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

10. Here's what I received in the mail today. I applied for an upgrade from target/hunting to unrestricted, I have had my permit for just about a year with no issues.

----

After reviewing the above-named Licensee's file and application submitted for an upgrade in the status of firearms license previously issued herein on XXXX XX, 2010, the Court has determived that the licensee is not eligible for an upgrade to unrestricted status at this time.

Section 400.00-2(f) requires the demonstration of "proper cause" for the issuance of an unrestricted firearms license. Such has not been demonstrated in this case.

Licensee's appliction for an upgrade to an unrestricted license is therefore DENIED. Licensee may apply for an upgrade in status after five years from date of issuance, with showing proper cuase.

SO ORDERED

M. William Boller

11. That my friend is CRAP!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast