357 for EDC - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 357 for EDC

Had and carried a .357mag S&W mod 60 with 3" BBL for many many years...loved it ....BUT as age was wearing down my joints, I moved down to 38 in a S&W mod 642... BUT that didn't work out due to super light frame...+P's (and even defensive 38) were quite harsh and just as with the 357, I had lots of pain in finger joints, wrists, and elbow the next day after shooting even a few (that pain lasts for days). So, yes, I can honestly recommend 38+P/357 mag for carry, if you like the gun & round and shoot it well.

I myself am looking for a super light recoiling center-fire that's actually worth carrying and that's a jump ahead of .22's. Until I find something more potent, I'm down to .22... one mag, one LR... I do wish I had the ability to carry something with more bang and that delivers a harder hit, but in the face of carrying nothing, the .22 will do...

One of my favorite carry guns is my Rossi 462. It's a little big to hide in warm weather but, as soon as the sweatshirts come out it goes on my side.

Quote Originally Posted by Almost_Blameless View Post
    I myself am looking for a super light recoiling center-fire that's actually worth carrying and that's a jump ahead of .22's. Until I find something more potent, I'm down to .22... one mag, one LR... I do wish I had the ability to carry something with more bang and that delivers a harder hit, but in the face of carrying nothing, the .22 will do...
    Have you looked at a .32? and there is a new .32 magnum cartridge also...maybe they would work for you... I do need to say that I have 0% experience with either of these though.... might kick worse than a .357!

Also, I know of no-one willing to be shot with a .22

Another thing you can do is acquire (if you dont already have one) a .22 pistol roughly the same type/size as your .357 and practice with it, and only shoot a few light loaded .38s out of the .357 at the range yet CARRY the .357 with regular/hot loads for protection........

I carry a pair of S&W Model 65's sometimes. Tons of power, fun to shoot, hard to screw up.
    War to the Knife, Knife to the hilt.
    If we don't want to live in a trashy area, we all have to be willing to help pick up the trash.

6. When you have a 357/38s revolver its nice to shoot the 38 at the range because the added weight being a 357 gun usually soaks a lot of the recoil but in an actual carry situation having only 5 shots I'd prefer to have the manstopper loaded.

Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Axeanda45 View Post
    357 is an excellent choice for EDC.... The only downside in my opinion is the limit on rounds available before reloading.... (I have been known to carry 2 5-shot snubby's for new york reloads, lol)...

All boils down to what YOU want/like, it is always a personal choice....
    Bingo, tell this person what they've won Johnny!
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Axeanda45 View Post
    Have you looked at a .32? and there is a new .32 magnum cartridge also...maybe they would work for you... I do need to say that I have 0% experience with either of these though.... might kick worse than a .357!

Also, I know of no-one willing to be shot with a .22

Another thing you can do is acquire (if you dont already have one) a .22 pistol roughly the same type/size as your .357 and practice with it, and only shoot a few light loaded .38s out of the .357 at the range yet CARRY the .357 with regular/hot loads for protection........
    Would this be what you refer to? .327 Federal Magnum If so, yeah, looks like a great choice for wheelgunners! I'd adopt it but am set up in .38/.375mag there.
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

Quote Originally Posted by tuts40 View Post
    Would this be what you refer to? .327 Federal Magnum If so, yeah, looks like a great choice for wheelgunners! I'd adopt it but am set up in .38/.375mag there.
    Yep, thats the one! Thank you...

357 Snubs are my favorite shooting and carry guns. I normally carry a LCR357 and a SP101. They carry well together and use the same Speed Loader. If I need to carry a little less weight I carry a 442 instead of the SP. I can still use the same Speed Loaders but, fill them with 38+p ammo.

I thought about the .327 there for about a moment.... BUT, my SP 101 and my wife's S&W Lady Smith both take the .357 and the 38s. I have a Taurus Tracker (7 shooter) that wife likes as first line of defense at home and I have an ancient Hi-Standard (of all things) Sentinel Mk III sitting in my safe. For each of these guns, there exists two speedloaders ready to go and I have a number of boxes of ammo also in that safe.

So I'm going to change ammo type when virtually half of our weapons are of one type?

I'm NOT going to go into the autos, mixed bag of ammo if I ever saw one! Anything from .22 to 9mm. I keep trying to decide which one or two I could do without....... but I simply can't bring myself to part with any of them. Maybe I could part with the Sterling .25 auto I've had for years.... Used to be my "pocket pistol", but the Beretta Tomcat in .32 has served me well for that purpose these past few years... thus the Sterling sits in the safe except the semi-annual performance check at the range.

Decisions. Decisions.

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast