Carry when skiing - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Carry when skiing

1. It depends on what type of skiing.

If I were doing cross-country skiing, a simple outside-the- waistband hip holster would suffice if it had to be concealed. If it's not required to be concealed, I would use a Safariland tactical thigh holster.

If it was alpine skiing, I would carry in either a leather outside-the-waistband closed thumb strapped holster, or in a tactical backpack similar to a Maxpedition Monsoon pack. I would not carrying carry a round of ammunition chambered for most of my guns if I was alpine skiing. If you have to have a round of ammunition chambered, I would choose a double-action-only with a safety selector for added protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Cotillion View Post
    Yeah I could see the need to pack while skiing. There might be some snipers pecking at you from a helicopter and if Bruce Willis isn't there to save you, you better be packing!
    Hey, never underestimate the capacity of BGs to find opportunities. My wife and I both carry when we go bike (as in bicycle) riding. We typically ride in less travelled County Roads for safety versus cars.... BUT puts us more isolated from other humans when trouble calls.

Biggest "threats" dogs loose and nasty, despite Law counter to loose running dogs, even in the countryside.

Second threat..... two legged varmints. I once had to "go to the rescue" of wife a couple years back. She was being "stalked" by a couple of ya-hoos in a beat up pick up truck. She called me on her cell phone and I came rolling out most ricky tick, loaded for bear. They left the area when I showed up.

Wife decided right then and there that she wanted a CCP. Don't blame her, frankly.

No one is immune from predators. Two legged or four.

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

4. I was just joking with him, I carry everywhere too. Although skiing and carrying would be pretty friggin uncomfortable !

I always carry when my wife and I go out on the quad because we like to get off the beaten track and get back into the less traveled areas of the forest. There are many transients who camp out there and I don't want to take a chance that one will try something plus this area has been known to have black bears and an occasional mountain lion. You can't be too careful these day's.

Yeah, back woods isn't just about "Nature" any more. Lions and Bears and "weed" farmers! (Oh, MY!)

LOL!

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

Yeah there's been a few of those in the woods around here.

Since I am assuming that you are not stationed on the ice planet Hoth and I have never heard of any shootouts at the skilift what is your main concern? Yeti attacks? I am not meaning to diss you here ... ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Deserteagle View Post
    Does anybody else carry while skiing? I got a nice vertical shoulder holster that I want to try carrying with next time I ski.
    Actually I havn't been skiing in quite a few years but I always left my gun in the boat while I was skiing. I figured that if I was going to need it I would have to let go of the rope and it would get wet and probably cause some problems. But I suppose out there in the middle of the lake you are an open target but I still would leave my gun in the boat and just take my chances. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Cotillion View Post
    Yeah I could see the need to pack while skiing. There might be some snipers pecking at you from a helicopter and if Bruce Willis isn't there to save you, you better be packing!
    Awesome analogy, please inform me two days in advance when something bad is going to happen to me, that way I can carry only on those days, thanks again

I'm not a skier, but I'd be worried about retention if I went down. Losing my gun in the snow would REALLY ruin my day. Or worse, having it go skittering down the slope right into the hands of some snow hippie who chose that day to become an enormous pain in my a$$.

Sorry. I'd suggest a fannypack.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast