social anxiety when you don't carry? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: social anxiety when you don't carry?

They can be fitted to any model of Glock. However only the G17 and G19 can be safely fired underwater, and only with FMJ ammo, no hollowpoints.

3. I'm a therapist and you need to talk to someone about the nature of your anxiety. It's clinical. GAD

Quote Originally Posted by tuts40 View Post
    I started carrying because I started to have feelings for firearms. Was about six years ago when I was looking at a Ruger catalog and noticed I was, well, getting strangely aroused. Oh yeah, the sight of gleaming metal coated with a supreme protectant that had the power to destroy, the power to save life. Oh baby, give me a gun to fondle and the day will move quickly and joyously into the past leaving me feeling a certain glow! I don't dare go anywhere without my 'partner'. ;-)

...You asked.
    OMG.... he muttered while hold his head in his hands trying to steady himself from laughing his head off! Just OMG!

5. So hyperjoe, please explain from a therapists point of view why YOU carry? The world is full of chocolate and rainbows but you sure enjoy the cold hard feeling of a glock poking into your hip?

Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Blog Entries
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

You know it does sound a little crazy to have anxiety when not carrying but I have to admit after having my CCW for only three months when I have to go places I am not allowed to carry I do feel a little exposed because I am no longer prepared to properly defend my self. I was never really as aware of my surroundings before like I am now. Kinda odd because I never expected to feel that way.

Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
    You know it does sound a little crazy to have anxiety when not carrying but I have to admit after having my CCW for only three months when I have to go places I am not allowed to carry I do feel a little exposed because I am no longer prepared to properly defend my self. I was never really as aware of my surroundings before like I am now. Kinda odd because I never expected to feel that way.
    I understand that completely. That is why I may (or may not, you trolling LEO/gov't sh-t birds) carry everywhere regardless of signage. Not to start another "law breaker vs. sign follower" arguments, but I just carry unless there are metal detectors or active searches. For me, the ability to better defend my life is more valuable than following a sign.

Soooo, back to your thoughts, I also am more aware of surroundings. BTW, I find I am very polite out there so as to reduce the likelihood of starting a mouth-off which can lead to worse with some of the many childish adults out there. Someone cuts me off in traffic, I call them names sure but never loud enough to be heard and certainly no one finger salutes or 'chasing' them. Do you also act a bit more civilized when carrying?

I started carrying actually a few years ago because I took a four day defensive handgun course after getting a gun to protect the family. Through the lectures they offered I realized that self defense does not end at the front door and in fact you and your family can be exposed to much more violence away from home. The idea then of carrying was provided to me and I've carried since, and recieved more training.
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

9. I carry anywhere as long as I know I won't get searched. Signs are silly tuts!

10. Cotillion,

I agree with you when it comes to looking at the world differently, but I don't think it's that bad. Being a police officer I see the worst 3% of our society, but I also see the best 3% of our society. Sometimes it's days until something serious happens where I live.

Over the years I've developed looking for potential escape routes, hiding places, and potential items I can use to defend myself (mostly fire extinguishers) regardless if I'm carrying a gun or not. My way of thinking has become very natural and passive. Because I'm a police officer, I have had the benefit not being in a place that doesn't allow guns for more than fifteen minutes.

I've spoken to several victims over the years, and unfortunately the victims always state they felt an ultimate sense of helplessness when being attacked, the ultimate violation for some, and their sense of innocence is lost forever. It does make me sad that we, as a society, have decided to rely on others to protect us. I don't think it's a bad idea to have law enforcement be a force multiplier but as a sole means of protection is not a good idea.

With that being said, I do not look at everyone as if they are a liar, rapist, or murderer whether I'm on duty or off duty. My job does not negatively affect my view on life, instead it prepares me for the very unlikely chance I will be attacked off duty. Most people are good, law-abiding people who wouldn't consider breaking the law.

Another way I look at it is if I were a paramedic, I wouldn't think everyone around would die of a heart attack but if it happens I'll know how to do CPR.

Every year I'm required to have a psychological evaluation because of my job - all police officers where I work are required. The psychologist thought I was lying when I first told him this, but after talking to him for a while he actually believed me and thought I was an exception to the rule.

I explain the above to my students, and state if they don't think they can change their way of thinking they need to leave the class and I won't judge them.

If you are constantly feeling negative about the world, and angry - I would suggest you talk to someone that has the training who can help you such as a therapist, psychologist, counselor, psychiatrist or Chaplin.

Take and stay safe!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123