Holster Conditioning
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holster Conditioning

Holster Conditioning

Is there anything you can do to condition the inside of the holster to keep it from marring polymer frame guns. I have several Galico leather holsters. These are good holsters but the inside are quite rough. Is there anything that can condition it? THANKS

Wink

I will wait for this answer I just received a new leather holster and also noticed it was slightly rough http://c.usacarry.co/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif
    A Body Piercing
    Saved My Life
    <(((><

if you have the proper tools and time, you could always line them with a softer leather (ie: calf skin) or material (ie: felt). Remember, leather was used for years (still used in some barber shops) to sharpen the razor for a clean shave. I do not know of any substance that will soften leather but will allow it to retain its shape.

Kydex is a much more modern and nearly indestructible holster material. Faster, durable, doesn't hold moisture, etc., and is slick inside :-). Yeah I realize I'm prolly talking to the wall on this but reality is not nostalgic or sentimental :-)
    Scott
    Scott Vaughn
    AR CHCL Instructor #02-414 www.vftar.com
    Suarez International Staff Instructor www.suarezinternationalstore.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Budreaux39:238801
    Kydex is a much more modern and nearly indestructible holster material. Faster, durable, doesn't hold moisture, etc., and is slick inside :-). Yeah I realize I'm prolly talking to the wall on this but reality is not nostalgic or sentimental :-)
    Scott
    If more modern was always better there wouldn't be a 1911 owner on the site.

I am curious as to what damage the leather is doing to the polymer. Can you be more specific on what is happening.

@ Budtreaux39:238801 bet you own a Dale Fricke Archangel iwba
    A Body Piercing
    Saved My Life
    <(((><

"It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it" - SGB

I condition my Galco holsters with silicone spray. No issues and does the job. Made my 3 slot cop secure and release my Glocks just right.

Try a leather conditioning wax by Stoner Holsters. I've used it, and it does a great job. They say it contains 5 different types of wax. Don't know what's in it, but it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Warbirds View Post
    If more modern was always better there wouldn't be a 1911 owner on the site.

I am curious as to what damage the leather is doing to the polymer. Can you be more specific on what is happening.
    It seems to be dulling the frame when I pull the gun out of the holster!! I wipe the gun down with a Hoppe's cloth when not in use but the dulling is what concerns me.
    I will look towards the hills from whense cometh my help. All my help cometh from the Lord.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast