talk about safe purchase. suggestions
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: talk about safe purchase. suggestions

talk about safe purchase. suggestions

Looking into purchasing a safe. Any do's and don'ts? Sentry any good? Dicks had some for my price range. $500-$800.

Safe will be used for long guns, ammo, pistols, family stuff.

I consider this a "last a lifetime" purchase so I want to make a decent purchase. I own 3 long guns and 2 pistols so I thouht a 10-gun would be adequate to hold ammo and guns.

Thoughts on these? What about securing them? Tie them to a joist, concrete screws to floor?

http://m.dickssportinggoods.com/aHR0cDovL3d3dy5kaWNrc3Nwb3J0aW5nZ29vZHMuY29tL3Byb2 R1Y3QvaW5kZXguanNwP3Byb2R1Y3RJZD0zNTk5MjY0JnNlYXJj aC1idXR0b249U3VibWl0

Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Blog Entries
    Congrats on not only having a place where you can place a safe, but also on having the foresight to get one!

If I woulda had the money at the time I'da gotton a Liberty safe or such, but ended up getting a fire-resistant $600+ dollar (on a good sale) safe and Dicks Sporting Goods. Makes be feel a bit easier about any thug-wanna-be's that break in, they will have one hell of a time getting my guns/papers. I built a wall in next to it so as to help deter prying, etc, and have it bolted to the concrete floor.

Good luck with your purchase and let us know what you get, and how it goes!

Oh yeah, your collection may grow so make sure your safe gives you the room to grow your collection. :-)
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

Love telling this story. A few of years ago I decided to buy a safe. Went with a friend, he decided to get one also. Seems that safes were hard to come buy at this time. This was when ammo was hard to get and expensive. Just a sign of the times.
    Safe sales were up because gold was on the move and Barry O was also on the move. Two main reasons to have a safe is for Guns and Gold!
    Have to shorten this. I was at a gun store. My safe hadn't come in yet at Lowes. I was talking to one of the guys behind the counter and he told me to make sure I got a safe that was large enough.
    I thought to myself. "Are you crazy? Do you know how many guns this safe can hold?" Well I didn't say anything to the guy.
    Bottom line here is that I NEED ANOTHER LARGER SAFE. Yes cracks me up also. Most likely you will have more purchases and a larger safe would be a good place to keep ammo in also.
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    NRA Certified RSO

But my future wife told me no more guns. ;)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by rdm6680 View Post
    Be careful. Some consider wedding cake a form or birth control!
    Just put them in the new big safe with the rest of the guns. If she is not into guns she will never know.lol If she is into them she won't restrict you.
    Of course you could always tell her no more new shoes until she wears the others out!
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    NRA Certified RSO

7. The cheaper gun safes you find at Dicks Academy and many other places are nice but as for real security, from being cracked open quickly or being really fire proof well you won,t get it with a $500/$800 safe.

Think of them as nice thin metal cans with locks.

If you really want your firearms safe from quick entry by smart thugs, and being fire proof for a UL rated time. My choice would be getting a Fort Knox safe.
    Gun Safes, Fort Knox: Americas Best Made Gun Safes, Hand Gun, Fireproof, Home and Vault Doors

I have heard that two companies warranty their safes so that if you have a fire or burglary they will send someone to open it and then replace or repair the safe. I think it is Cannon and Rhino Metals.

9. Quote Originally Posted by rdm6680 View Post
    Tell her only when she stops buying new shoes - just kidding.

Seriously, I would get a safe that holds more guns than you have. You may never know when you may buy more guns, trade in your guns for something else, or buy lots of ammunition.

In my case, I'm running out of room in my Liberty Safe because I got some really good deals on guns and ammunition. I'm actually very cautious opening and closing the safe door.

I have a Liberty 18 gun safe.

Quote Originally Posted by rdm6680 View Post
    There are some things you just gotta agree on.... and some things are just non-negotiable.

Concealed means concealed! (Just put it in the safe!) LOL

Psalm 82:3-5

Oh yeah... the safe... Mine was so heavy it took four of us to get it in the door. - I ain't moving it again. A couple of bolts into the concrete floor or studs and it will become part of the house. If I sell the house, I will give them the code and manual to change it.

Of course, like a lot of people, I didn't get mine until AFTER my good rifle was stolen. :-(

Psalm 82:3-5

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast