US Airways pilot's gun discharges in cockpit - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 39

Thread: US Airways pilot's gun discharges in cockpit

  1. #21
    Accidental Discharges a Law Enforcement term. No, its a scapegoat term to cover oneself from lawsuits!!!! The gun went off during arrival. Wowzers!!! Thats more tasking than I can do. Was the pilot trying to line the plane, runway, and sights together or what??? Amazing!!!
    They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    ---Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.

  2.   
  3. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by toreskha View Post
    I'd be interested to hear this guy's reasoning on both why he became a pilot, and why he decided to carry a gun while flying...because right now, I'm thinking it was so that he could fire shots into cockpits from the inside. Must have been a lifelong dream...
    hahaha totally.. afterall, who else could say they fired their gun in the cockpit of a plane?
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

  4. #23
    You all need to wait until all fact become public. What he was doing was putting the mandated lock through the trigger guard while the gun remains in the holster.

    It's the new Galco holster for the HK LEM. You put the cable lock on thru the trigger guard while it remains in the holster. This outcome was not unexpected.
    "A kind word only goes so far, a kind word and a gun goes a lot further" 1924
    Be Safe, Be Confident, Get Trained! Copyrighted 1996
    [email protected]

  5. #24
    It will be interesting to find out how he ended up getting a negligent discharge while putting the lock through the trigger guard in the holster. Maybe the gun wasn't seated completely prior to putting the lock on. I'm eagerly waiting to find out.

  6. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    2,784
    Here is another email I received from them this morning with a link to their follow-up report.

    Thanks for your note. We've gotten quite a bit of feedback on the discharge issue and your point is well taken. Our use of the term "accidental" is coming from the very brief statements we've received from TSA and US Airways. "Negligence" could point to wrongdoing by the pilot. Although many suspect the pilot was "negligent," we need a source within law enforcement or the airline to say that.

    You may want to see our follow-up report at http://www.wcnc.com/news/topstories/....2652f207.html

    We spoke to a local gun dealer on how its virtually impossible to have an unintentional discharge with an H&K USP.

    I appreciate your taking the time to write.

    Mark


    Memberships: NRA, GOA, USCCA
    Guns: Glock 26, Ruger LCP, Beretta 90-Two .40, Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9MM, Beretta Tomcat, Bushmaster Patrolman M4

  7. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    2,784
    I just heard this story on MSNBC and they said "It is still unknown why the pilot fired the shot and he is on administrative leave."


    Memberships: NRA, GOA, USCCA
    Guns: Glock 26, Ruger LCP, Beretta 90-Two .40, Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9MM, Beretta Tomcat, Bushmaster Patrolman M4

  8. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrellM5 View Post
    Maybe the gun wasn't seated completely prior to putting the lock on.
    I think you may be correct.

    If the holster comes unsnapped, you could place the lock in front of the trigger instead of behind it. Then you see that it is not snapped and push the pistol in to snap it and the trigger is pulled.

  9. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Honolulu, HI & Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    2,797
    Quote Originally Posted by CA CCWInstructor View Post
    You all need to wait until all fact become public. What he was doing was putting the mandated lock through the trigger guard while the gun remains in the holster.

    It's the new Galco holster for the HK LEM. You put the cable lock on thru the trigger guard while it remains in the holster. This outcome was not unexpected.

    Regardless of if the outcome was expected or not, if the guy did something that caused the gun to fire, it's a "negligent" discharge. If it was a mechanical failure with the firearm that was out of the control of the guy, then it would be an "accidental" discharge.

    I'm glad that nobody was hurt. I sincerely hope that the "anti" folks don't use this incident as a reason for putting further restrictions on guns.



    gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

  10. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    Regardless of if the outcome was expected or not, if the guy did something that caused the gun to fire, it's a "negligent" discharge. If it was a mechanical failure with the firearm that was out of the control of the guy, then it would be an "accidental" discharge.

    I'm glad that nobody was hurt. II sincerely hope that the "anti" folks don't use this incident as a reason for putting further restrictions on guns.



    gf
    I sincerely hope that the "anti" folks don't use this incident as a reason for putting further restrictions on guns.


    Guns don't kill. Pilots with guns kill
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

  11. #30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CA CCWInstructor
    You all need to wait until all fact become public. What he was doing was putting the mandated lock through the trigger guard while the gun remains in the holster.

    It's the new Galco holster for the HK LEM. You put the cable lock on thru the trigger guard while it remains in the holster. This outcome was not unexpected.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

    The pilot's first priority is to fly the aircraft. Handling a gun, holstered or not, demands your full attention. When on approach for landing, your attention should be on managing the aircraft, watching for traffic, listening to approach control or the tower, and completing the checklists. You do your "housekeeping" chores after the engines are shutdown at the gate!

    One way or another, I feel the pilot was negligent.
    Last edited by gordo; 03-27-2008 at 05:29 AM. Reason: change "he" to "the pilot". It could have been a women.
    The more I practice, the 'luckier' I get!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast