US Airways pilot's gun discharges in cockpit
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: US Airways pilot's gun discharges in cockpit

US Airways pilot's gun discharges in cockpit

Pilot's gun discharges on US Airways flight

http://www.wcnc.com/news/topstories/....1c4cabd1.html

CHARLOTTE, N.C.-- A US Airways pilot’s gun accidentally discharged during a flight from Denver to Charlotte Saturday, according to a statement released by the airline.

The statement said the discharge happened on Flight 1536, which left Denver at approximately 6:45 a.m. and arrived in Charlotte at approximately 11:51 a.m.

Who wants to bet that it wasn't holstered or appropriately stored at the time.

yes it would be interesting to find out the exact circumstances of what the pilot was doing at the time of the discharge.. glad no one was hurt.
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

I like how the "pilot's gun accidentally discharged" instead of being "the pilot accidentally discharged his gun". Gun's don't just go off, keep your finger off the trigger and get a quality holster.

Memberships: NRA, GOA, USCCA
    Guns: Glock 26, Ruger LCP, Beretta 90-Two .40, Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9MM, Beretta Tomcat, Bushmaster Patrolman M4

I don't believe in accidental discharges, only negligent discharges. I doubt that the gun just went off while resting in it's holster. It will be interesting to find out more of this story. One or two incidents like this and the whole armed pilots program will be in serious jeapordy.

Just how do we educate the public and media for proper use of the ND/AD issue? I just hate seeing it improperly used. I believe that every misuse just solidifies in peoples minds that these inanimate objects just go and fire when they feel like it.

I sent this to the person that wrote it and the person following up with the story.

Hello,

I read your article and wanted to mention something about the wording you used. Guns do not accidentally discharge by themselves. The article should be worded that the pilot had a negligent discharge as there is no such thing as an accidenta discharge. Something that pilot did caused that gun to fire whether it was his finger, a cheap holster that allowed something to engage the trigger, etc., all being faults of the pilot.

Memberships: NRA, GOA, USCCA
    Guns: Glock 26, Ruger LCP, Beretta 90-Two .40, Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9MM, Beretta Tomcat, Bushmaster Patrolman M4

I agree the pilot was doing something he was not supposed to be doing like perhaps playing with the gun. Wonder if he ever learned hte four basic rules of gun safety. Could be he needs more training.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Agreed - does anyone know the regulations for pilot carry? I thought I remembered somewhere that they had to keep the pistol locked in a compartment in the cockpit, but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrellM5 View Post
    I don't believe in accidental discharges, only negligent discharges. I doubt that the gun just went off while resting in it's holster. It will be interesting to find out more of this story. One or two incidents like this and the whole armed pilots program will be in serious jeapordy.
    Negligent Discharge - Improper handling of the firearm. The person in control of the firearm did something that deviated from safe handling rules when the gun discharged. (Finger on the trigger, improper holstering, etc.)

Accidental Discharge - Gun discharged due to a physical mechanical defect. All safe handling rules were followed. I've been shooting for almost 20 years and have witnessed only one "accidental" discharge. This was while serving in the U.S. Army. When a soldier switched the M-16 selector lever from "safe" to "semi" the firearm discharged. Upon inspection of the rifle, we found that one of the springs in the trigger assembly was defective, which caused the "accidental discharge".

I make it a point to use the correct terminology and educate others whenever possible.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    I agree the pilot was doing something he was not supposed to be doing like perhaps playing with the gun. Wonder if he ever learned hte four basic rules of gun safety. Could be he needs more training.
    You mean like: impressing that cute flight attendant with the size of his gun?

:58:
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast