Range Rules - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Range Rules

Hey Guys: You are in a gun shop or at a range where most if not all the persons there are thinking about shooting a firearm. The inclination to have that thought front and center puts the mindset one step closer to actually using a firearm, as opposed to walking down the street CC. IMO, that "one step closer" in mindset is one step closer to actually handling your firearm, something you would not be doing if you were walking around in an ice cream parlor or a department store; it is "one step closer" to actually having the firearm discharge. I hope I got my point across; that is my perception of a possible reason for such restrictions.

Quote Originally Posted by eaccents View Post
    Doesn't annoy me. I ignore that sign as I believe it pertains to the guns you are USING at the range. It is a safety issue, which I respect, since there are enough idiots in the world who have accidentally shot someone at the range. However, the gun that I am concealing is not a safety issue since it remains in my holster while I am shooting.

BTW, I am always carrying concealed at the range and practicing with a separate gun. Just don't like the feeling of being "naked."
    That's pretty much what I always thought the rule was about, too. It had not even occured to me that there should be an issue with my loaded but holstered gun.

Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    I trust myself and I'd probably trust you when it comes to firearm safety. I don't trust Joe Schmoe out there wandering around without a clue. I'd much rather be out in the sticks shooting at stumps but that option isn't available to me. As a result it's the ranges and their rules for me.
    I realize that many people including you dont have an abundance of places to shoot other than a range, and I know for a fact there are tons of stupid people out there that probably shouldnt have guns. I just cant help but notice the similarities between the logic of the anti-gun laws, and the rules of range officers. Both assume all gun owners are not to be trusted. I didnt like being treated like a criminal when I got my fingerprints taken for a CC permit, and I dont like being treated like an idiot at the range. Only difference for me is that I can choose to not support being treated like an idiot at the range and go somewhere else. IMO, the only rules a range should have should be the basic NRA rules like keep your gun pointed in a safe direction, etc.
    So what it comes down to is, we need to get you to an even more gun friendly state with more places available to shoot :)

5. I've never had an issue at my gun club. Fully loaded, open carry in a holster. For membership meetings, competitions, and standard range practice.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

At the club I am thinking of joining is a totally cold range unless you are shooting on the line

"Originally Posted by CharlieK:240152

The range signs that really irk me are these: ALL FIREARMS ARE LOADED, NO EXCEPTIONS. I got an indoor range and gun shop in Albuquerque to change their sign that said that when I pointed out that it means that I can't come into their shop with an unloaded gun. They meant, of course, that all guns are TO BE TREATED AS LOADED. But I pointed out that it does NOT say that. They changed it."

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLM View Post
    You should treat all firearms as if they were loaded. Its a gun way to keep from shooting yourself or someone else! To correct spelling --- Its a "Good" way!
    Well, duh! Of course, but as I said in my post, the sign didn't say that; it said that all firearms are loaded. Treating them as if they are loaded is not the same as saying that they ARE loaded.
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieK View Post
    "Originally Posted by CharlieK:240152

The range signs that really irk me are these: ALL FIREARMS ARE LOADED, NO EXCEPTIONS. I got an indoor range and gun shop in Albuquerque to change their sign that said that when I pointed out that it means that I can't come into their shop with an unloaded gun. They meant, of course, that all guns are TO BE TREATED AS LOADED. But I pointed out that it does NOT say that. They changed it."

Well, duh! Of course, but as I said in my post, the sign didn't say that; it said that all firearms are loaded. Treating them as if they are loaded is not the same as saying that they ARE loaded.
    If I'd seen that I would have thought "Seems odd but alright if they insist, let's load them!" ;-)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123