45 / 410 Derringers....Handgun or Shotgun by Law ? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31

Thread: 45 / 410 Derringers....Handgun or Shotgun by Law ?

  1. Maybe you can just ask a couple local leos? I know many cops don't know all the cc laws but at least you'll have a general idea of how they might react. You could also print the laws provided here and keep them in your glove box or something just in case that scenario ever occurs.

    Me personally I would factor in the probability of ever actually being in a situation where what I carry comes into question. Since I never break the law and am never frisked and the probability of me shooting someone is 1 in a billion and the laws appear to state nothing against it, I would carry it. Then again if it were me the judge would sit in my dresser since I consider my TCP about the biggest gun I can carry ha!

  2.   
  3. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Actually, Oklahoma does have a .45 caliber limit on concealed handguns in statute.
    Which would still allow for .410.

  4. Quote Originally Posted by scotty48 View Post
    Thanks Navy.......That's about as Clear as it gets !
    I only posted Oklahoma statutes. But, to the best of my knowledge, there aren't any states that classify a shotgun or a pistol because of the ammo that is loaded in it.

    Federally, the Judge (and guns like it) are classified as handguns because they have a rifled barrel. If the judge has a smooth barrel, it would be a smooth bore pistol, which is an NFA firearm, even if it is only loaded with .45 Colts. Firearms are classified by the design characteristics of the gun itself, not the ammo.

    That being said, hunting regulations may prohibit the use of certain types of ammo in certain types of firearms during certain seasons.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

  5. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    That being said, hunting regulations may prohibit the use of certain types of ammo in certain types of firearms during certain seasons.
    And the state of Florida prohibits flechette ammo across the board.

  6. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by rifleshooter474:241675
    Quote Originally Posted by Warbirds View Post
    It's weird I find myself supporting Navy, but he has a point in that if it is law it is written down. You provided information as fact, but you have nothing to back it up. That is a disservice to the people that read these forums looking for help. The thirty minutes it will take to read through your laws regarding shotguns will be well worth it both for yourself and for proving him wrong...... If you can.
    Well you and Navy can just sue me Ok?
    Pretty sad. If you think you are responsible enough to carry a gun but don't know you're own laws you are just asking for trouble.

  7. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Warbirds View Post
    Pretty sad. If you think you are responsible enough to carry a gun but don't know you're own laws you are just asking for trouble.
    That's the point that NavyLCDR and myself have been trying to make.

  8. So here's a legal question for this group to figure out. Is CT a open carry or concealed carry state? Be sure and quote the statute when responding

  9. Quote Originally Posted by OpenCarryYes View Post
    So here's a legal question for this group to figure out. Is CT a open carry or concealed carry state? Be sure and quote the statute when responding
    Open carry is legal in Connecticut with a permit.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Open carry is legal in Connecticut with a permit.
    That's true, but, a lot of people have been arrested for disturbing the peace while OC'ing and it has cost them thousands of dollars to get the charges dropped. It also has taken years to get thru the review board to have a hearing to get your permit back. When I got my permit, I was told by the CSP that CT is enforced as CC and open carry will be arrested even though the statute does not mention concealed anywhere in it.

    My point in asking the question was that even though I can't quote a statute making OC'ing illegal in CT (and it isn't illegal), it is often treated that way and creates a major hassle for those that try. As a side note, I was in Lowes the other day and a guy came in OC'ing. You should have seen the looks he was getting but I didn't see anyone approach him and the police didn't show up while I was there. Maybe that's progress.

  11. Quote Originally Posted by OpenCarryYes View Post
    That's true, but, a lot of people have been arrested for disturbing the peace while OC'ing and it has cost them thousands of dollars to get the charges dropped. It also has taken years to get thru the review board to have a hearing to get your permit back. When I got my permit, I was told by the CSP that CT is enforced as CC and open carry will be arrested even though the statute does not mention concealed anywhere in it.

    My point in asking the question was that even though I can't quote a statute making OC'ing illegal in CT (and it isn't illegal), it is often treated that way and creates a major hassle for those that try. As a side note, I was in Lowes the other day and a guy came in OC'ing. You should have seen the looks he was getting but I didn't see anyone approach him and the police didn't show up while I was there. Maybe that's progress.
    Police and government will continue to push the limits of their authority. It is only the natural progression of history. All we can do is hope that citizens will push back and that the Courts will continue to honor the Constitution in favor of those citizens who push back. If that ever ceases to happen, then the responsible citizen will be required to fulfill their duties as set forth in the second paragraph of the Declaration of Independence.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast