45 / 410 Derringers....Handgun or Shotgun by Law ?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 45 / 410 Derringers....Handgun or Shotgun by Law ?

1. Post 45 / 410 Derringers....Handgun or Shotgun by Law ?

Hi- Does anyone know if the 45/410 derringers fall into the handgun category , or are they considered shotguns for concealed carry ?

3. In Oklahoma if it's got a shotgun shell in chamber it's a shotgun, and you can't use it in C.C. Put a pistol round in it and it becomes a pistol. You now can C.C. Just more Goofy firearm laws to deal with.

The way I see it if it has no shoulder stock ( not shotgun )
    hold in hand pistol !
    A Body Piercing
    Saved My Life
    <(((><

Afaik.. Federally, anything with less than a 16 inch barrel must be manufactured as either a NFA exempt/stamped item or as a handgun. I'm very sure that derringers are registered as handguns. Even the Taurus "Judge" guns that have the longer barrels (3+ inches) and shoot .410 are federally classified as handguns.

6. Thumbs up 45 /.410

Thanks a lot ,you guys for the info , I guess if the "Judge" is classified as a handgun - I should be ok , But Wisconsin has some strange laws - so I'll have to see what's on the books here....Thanks Again !

Quote Originally Posted by rifleshooter474 View Post
    In Oklahoma if it's got a shotgun shell in chamber it's a shotgun, and you can't use it in C.C. Put a pistol round in it and it becomes a pistol. You now can C.C. Just more Goofy firearm laws to deal with.
    I don't suppose you would have a citation to the statute that says that, would you?

The Oklahoma Statues that I read disagree with your statement:

21-1289.5. Definitions for Firearms Act - Shotguns.
    DEFINITIONS FOR FIREARMS ACT
    "Shotguns" as used in the Oklahoma Firearms Act of 1971, Sections 1289.1 through 1289.17 of this title, shall mean any firearm capable of discharging a series of projectiles of any material which may reasonably be expected to be able to cause lethal injury, with a barrel or barrels more than eighteen (18) inches in length, and using either gunpowder, gas or any means of rocket propulsion, but not to include any weapon so designed with a barrel less than eighteen (18) inches in length. In addition, any "shotgun" capable of firing single projectiles but primarily designed to fire multiple projectiles such as "shot" will be regarded as a "shotgun".
    and

21-1290.2. Definitions.
    DEFINITIONS
    As used in Sections 1 through 25 of this act:
    1. "Concealed handgun" means a loaded or unloaded pistol carried hidden from the detection and view of another person either upon or about the person, in a purse or other container belonging to the person, or in a vehicle which is operated by the person or in which the person is riding as a passenger; and
    2. "Pistol" means any derringer, revolver or semiautomatic firearm which:
    a. has an overall length of less than sixteen (16) inches and is able to be fully concealed from detection and view,
    b. is capable of discharging a projectile composed of any material which may reasonably be expected to be able to cause lethal injury,
    c. is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand, and
    d. uses either gunpowder, gas or any means of rocket propulsion to discharge the projectile.
    The definition of pistol for purposes of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act shall not apply to homemade or imitation pistols, flare guns, underwater fishing guns or blank pistols.
    Added by Laws 1995, c. 272, 2, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.
    So, please tell us in Oklahoma statute where it says that a derringer when loaded with .45 Colt is a pistol and when loaded with .410 shell it becomes a shotgun?
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

8. Thumbs up NavyCDR ...45/410

Thanks Navy.......That's about as Clear as it gets !

9. I heard it was ok becaues of the rifled barrel.

10. Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    I don't suppose you would have a citation to the statute that says that, would you?

The Oklahoma Statues that I read disagree with your statement:

and

So, please tell us in Oklahoma statute where it says that a derringer when loaded with .45 Colt is a pistol and when loaded with .410 shell it becomes a shotgun?
    If one has a CCW in oklahoma and it's loaded with a shot shell and your asked to show a a cop this handgun, it's a shot gun and will be impounded and you will have fun in Court.

But you just do what you want, it's not going to mean anything to me.

11. Quote Originally Posted by rifleshooter474 View Post
    If one has a CCW in oklahoma and it's loaded with a shot shell and your asked to show a a cop this handgun, it's a shot gun and will be impounded and you will have fun in Court.

But you just do what you want, it's not going to mean anything to me.
    So, you have no statute to back up your assumption? Didn't think so.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast