school zone question.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: school zone question.

school zone question.

I was reading another post that said no firearms within 1000 feet of school zone per us code 18 section 921. If my private property sits next to a school zone and is within the 1000 feet does that law also include my property? I live in Ohio.

USC and ORC

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/search/display.html?terms=Definitions%20921&url=/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00000922----000-.html#q - see (q)(2)(A) and (q)(2)(B)(i)

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.12 - see (C)(1)(d)

As the law reads, this is true if you don't have a licence issued by your state. If you have a licence your fine.

Already a thread on this
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/polit...important.html

Doesn't apply to private property, but as soon as you pull out of the driveway....

You are good on your own property even without a a CCW permit/license. With a CCW permit/license from your state, you can go thru the school zone without problems as long as you aren't entering the school grounds. Ohio says if you have an out of state permit from a state that has a reciprocity agreement you are good too. The Feds have a different opinion on reciprocity.

There is a case where a women was arrested for having a firearm in her home that was within 1000' of a school zone. I'll look for the link

http://openjurist.org/480/f3d/597/un...-nieves-castao

Quote Originally Posted by thedub88 View Post
    There is a case where a women was arrested for having a firearm in her home that was within 1000' of a school zone. I'll look for the link

480 F3d 597 United States v. Nieves-Castao | OpenJurist
    I looked a little further into the case that's linked above. It appears that the woman was living in a publicly-funded housing project and was therfore not considered to be on private property (which would have made her exempt on the school-zone charge).
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

9. Great Topic

This is a great post! I always wondered the same thing and did some research on my own. I am glad what I found is backed up here. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    With a CCW permit/license from your state, you can go thru the school zone without problems as long as you aren't entering the school grounds.
    That depends upon state law. In Washington, with a CPL, I can walk right up to the door of the school building open carrying. And I have a couple of times picking up my daughter from school - no issues.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

11. Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall:241635
    Quote Originally Posted by thedub88 View Post

480 F3d 597 United States v. Nieves-Castao | OpenJurist
    I looked a little further into the case that's linked above. It appears that the woman was living in a publicly-funded housing project and was therfore not considered to be on private property (which would have made her exempt on the school-zone charge).
    So not owning your resident domicile negates your right to own a firearm? Not attacking you, im attacking the policy. I don't care if my tax dollars pay her rent she should still have equal protection under the constitution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast