Fan accidentally shoots himself in leg - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fan accidentally shoots himself in leg

1. Quote Originally Posted by Grognard Gunny View Post
    As such, I see nothing wrong with yanking permits from the accident prone. Vehicular or gun.
    Does one mistake cause one to be "accident prone"? Especially when that mistake occurred while attempting to comply with a rediculous law?

My opinion, not that it's worth anything....
    Write the guy a ticket for a $100 fine for negligent discharge of a firearm in a public place and move on. Then, if there is a second occurrence, suspend his permit pending completion of gun safety training. On third occurrence revoke his permit permanently and, in a state such as Washington - force him to carry his gun openly without a permit! :-)
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Warbirds:241698
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen:241696
    Quote Originally Posted by Warbirds:241680
    The only way I can picture this happening would be if he was trying to lower the hammer on a 1911 style gun. I can't think of another situation where this would happen. Hopefully more details will come forward.
    I could see him racking out the chambered round, then releasing the mag (but didn't realize his steps were backwards), then pulling the trigger to release the firing mechanism.

Anyone know what firearm he had?
    So you are thinking he had a glock or XD type weapon. I will see if I can find anything on the interweb.
    Not necessarily, just another form of brain fart that could happen with any type of firearm.

Did he have to unload it in the first place? In Washington it just has to be out of sight if left unattended in a vehicle.

Those that feel he should have his permit revoked, should people who have had one motor vehicle crash, with no injuries but to the driver of the vehicle, give up their license? Emphasizing the one crash, and a clean record otherwise. What about people who have cut themselves with a knife negligently? No knives for them? He made a mistake, if he makes it again, then I would say he is negligent prone, other wise he is just being human.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Does one mistake cause one to be "accident prone"? Especially when that mistake occurred while attempting to comply with a rediculous law?

My opinion, not that it's worth anything....
    Write the guy a ticket for a $100 fine for negligent discharge of a firearm in a public place and move on. Then, if there is a second occurrence, suspend his permit pending completion of gun safety training. On third occurrence revoke his permit permanently and, in a state such as Washington - force him to carry his gun openly without a permit! :-)
    As for what constitutes "accident prone", that is a question you have to answer for yourself. When it pertains to guns and safety..... there IS no excuse as far as I am concerned.

So, the question comes to mind, just how much of the en toto body of Law DO you consider ridiculous? .... and how much do you ignore as a result of YOUR judgement? Are you Law Abiding if you selectively heed various Laws?

Again, my "concern" is simply for others around the accident waiting to happen. But we already have an idea as to your concern for others, through your "signature line", if nothing else.

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

5. Quote Originally Posted by Grognard Gunny View Post
    So, the question comes to mind, just how much of the en toto body of Law DO you consider ridiculous?
    Actually I may have spoken without knowling all the facts. The subject was apparently attempting to comply with a firearms ban in the stadium - whether that ban was in place as a matter of law or policy, I do not know. I consider the ban on firearms in the stadium to be rediculous, regardless of whether it is law or policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Grognard Gunny View Post
    .... and how much do you ignore as a result of YOUR judgement? Are you Law Abiding if you selectively heed various Laws?
    So, it negates a person being a law abiding citizen simply because they feel a law or policy is ridiculous?

Quote Originally Posted by Grognard Gunny View Post
    Again, my "concern" is simply for others around the accident waiting to happen. But we already have an idea as to your concern for others, through your "signature line", if nothing else.

GG
    I am truly sorry if the fact that I place the safety of myself and my family over the hoplophobia of a soccer mom. I carry my gun in accordance with the law and in a manner which, for me in my location and situation, is what I determine to be the most effective way. There is no right for everyone to feel comfortable 100% of the time in public. If a person doesn't want to be around my gun in a holster on my belt, then they have the freedom to go somewhere that I am not present at.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Hope he is ok and will not have perm damage....

Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    This was no accident. This was negligent. I would pull his permit before he hurts someone else. In my world you get one SHOT at this.
    What if you were sitting at home and as you are reaching for your gun, your finger brushes the trigger and it discharges into the ground. Does that mean you should not have a 2nd amendment right anymore?

I once had a patient that shot himself in the abdomen while twirling his revolver. I don't remember exactly what I said to him but he certainly knew that I thought his actions were stupid. He heartily agreed. I am certain that many at the hospital communicated similar thoughts through words and facial expression. I feel certain that two things came out of this incident: 1- He is now far more careful with guns. 2- Hi friends will never let him forget. He was lucky, the passage of the bullet hit nothing vital and he was released from the hospital in a day or two.

We live in an imperfect world. Sometimes we are fortunate and we are able to hitchhike on some else's mistake but we all learn lessons the hard way. If we trip over our own feet, fall down the stairs and break a leg we have to put up with a cast for a few weeks and the ridicule of our friends for years. Trip over your feet and knock someone else down the stairs then expect to see the inside of a courtroom. Push someone down the stairs and expect free room and board from the State. My point is this, as a culture we traditionally punish someone depending on intention and outcome. When the only person hurt is the one who made the mistake, letting them get a walk on the first time seems right to me.

A cop friend of mine was shooting at some bad guys one day when all of a sudden his gun went off. He got by with only having to buy his roommate a new TV. It only happened once and twenty odd years later he retired from the police department. I never felt uncomfortable around him when he had a gun. Stuff happens, most of the time the lesson has been learned. Often learning that lesson is punishment enough. Why worry about something that is not likely to happen again? If it does happen again then deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Deserteagle View Post
    What if you were sitting at home and as you are reaching for your gun, your finger brushes the trigger and it discharges into the ground. Does that mean you should not have a 2nd amendment right anymore?
    No, it means you need to take a couple of stupid reducer pills and see your shrink in the morning. "Yo, Doc. I need help! I'm a danger to myself and all around me. What can you do for me?" (You already have my verdict.)

GG

P.S. ....and if your trigger pressure has been "jiggled" down to the point where a mere "brush" will set it off...... take a double dose of above pills.

Carib: Confucious say; "Perfection may never be attained, but better (and safer) he, by far, that tries all the same."

GG

"A cop friend of mine was shooting at some bad guys one day when all of a sudden his gun went off...." (?????)

Dry firing at BGs on TV? I can only surmise, considering the rest of the paragraph.

At any rate, one does NOT "practice" firing, drawing or any of the "be ready for anything" related actions with ammo in the gun. That is the very first step of gun safety. If you wanna "play" with it, unload it first. (DUH-UH!)

GG

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast