Fan accidentally shoots himself in leg - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Fan accidentally shoots himself in leg

I am a bit concerned about the general attitude that "[crap] happens" and that it's OK.... yada yada. It happens to everyone...... MOST assuredly it does NOT!

In the case of weaponry, crap does NOT happen, stupidity DOES.

The significance? Stats indicate that more people are killed through "accidental" weapons fire every year than "good guys" dispatching "bad guys" in defense situations. (IIRC, 400+ versus around 200) I would much rather see MUCH fewer "accidents" and more purposeful dispatch of BGs.

Both "goals" are contingent on training. Safety training in the case of the former and markmanship (accuracy) in the case of the latter.

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

Bottom line: I have other things I have to fret about in life without having to add worrying about if "John Wayne-Dirty Harry-Quick Draw Mcgraw-Mr. HOTSHOT" is going to have his (apparently "acceptable") accidental discharge in my vicinity.

Just sayin'.

GG

4. Quote Originally Posted by Grognard Gunny View Post
    Bottom line: I have other things I have to fret about in life without having to add worrying about if "John Wayne-Dirty Harry-Quick Draw Mcgraw-Mr. HOTSHOT" is going to have his (apparently "acceptable") accidental discharge in my vicinity.

Just sayin'.

GG
    I don't think we can classify a person who is attempting to comply with a statute, regulation or policy that requires him to unload his gun and store it in his vehicle as "John Wayne-Dirty Harry-Quick Draw Mcgraw-Mr. HOTSHOT".

This just seems to be another case of, "Let's put limitations on everyone else's rights to make the minority feel safer."
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    This just seems to be another case of, "Let's put limitations on everyone else's rights to make the minority feel safer."
    Going off what Navy said, there is a fine line here between taking away rights of some to protect the rights of others. The liberals will quickly jump onto the side of taking away rights to protect the rights of others. Liberals believe guns kill, so we shouldnt have them. People in this thread are doing the same thing and are quick to take away rights "before somebody gets hurt", rather than try something like educating this guy on how to properly unload his firearm. But according to some on this thread, its not the guy that is the problem, its the gun. So take away his guns and problem solved!

It is rather sad how some people in here are so quick to take away the right to bear arms, just like all the liberals who are trying to do the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Grognard Gunny:241878

Just say

GG
    It sounds like your best bet it to never go outside. I hate to break this to you but you live in a world where people make poor choices. How a person reacts to the consequences will determine if they learn from their actions. This guy screwed up majorly, but if he pays the consequences and doesn't do it again, that's how we all learn. It sounds like you want to holds this guy to level of accountability that you aren't capable of meeting yourself.

But then again if you are going to hold a demonstration where you walk on water I'm sure we can find some lepers for you to heal as well.

Welcome to America, where acceptance of mediocrity is not only acceptable, but lauded.

As for poor choices, I present our sitting President as majority proof of exactly that.

Oh, and I do hold myself to a high degree of accountability. Nor do I look for "excuses" or a means with which to pass off responsibility for my actions, should I screw up. (But irresponsibility is another great American passtime I don't hold much truck with.)

You have, you know, already predisposed to "forgive" yourself should you ever be the cause of an AD. "Oh. It was an accident and besides, it happens to everyone. Right?" Then we are supposed to pat you on the head, tell you it's OK and send you on your merry way?

I have a different "take" on it. I go forth predetermined to NEVER have it happen to me. Period. Worse, I would be distraught to the max and wonder if I should continue to carry if it did.

I have managed to be involved with weapons for nearly half a century now and never a misstep. I intend to keep in mind to maintain that "record" intact.

You DO see the different approach to the matter between you and I? Yes? You are willing to forgive and forget.... and circumvent responsibility, thus tacitly allowing it to go on. I maintain that there is NO substitute for a perfect safety record..... Particularly when the very lives of those I am armed to protect may very well be the ones I harm should I accept anything less than perfection in gun safety.

Now, there ARE those who proclaim loud and long that the "right" to own and carry weapons are both universal and irrevokable. Be that as it may.... I stand on my contention that despite our "rights", there ARE people existant that own and carry guns that I wouldn't allow to have a potato gun.... such is their callousness and disregard for safety and overall "attitude" toward guns. We are thus required to "police" ourselves. If for no other reason than to prevent the anti-gunners from using our own stupidity as cause for ceasing our "rights".

Unfortunately, I (we) are forced to take the bad along with the good in this particular exercise of our "rights". Mainly because I would be loath to trust the "Authorities" to have the decision making as to who and who should NOT own guns.

Sorry, I'm NOT into saving others through miracle working. I have enough on my plate trying to stay alive through the "allowable" levels of "accidents" you seem so interested in defending. From the stats, I have a greater degree of probability of getting shot or killed by a fellow "legit" gunner than I do "counting coup" on "bad guys". I find THAT inacceptable. So should you.

GG

Accident or negligence, I bet it hurt like hell.

There are few REAL "accidents"..... got BOO-KOO cases of negligence to draw from.

GG

You are the only one that has said to pat the guy on the head and let him go. Everyone else has started there are are consequences. If the guy mans up and deals with the consequences he is a much better person than someone that tries to put themselves on a pedestal and look down at others. There are many many many more ways you can screw up someone elses life than just with a firearm. But I guess you have never made a poor decision while driving, which by the way is much more likely to kill you that a gun, because you are perfect.

I fear more of people that claim to never make mistakes than those that learn from them.

Btw....how's the weather up there on your pedestal....... Those people "down below" you aren't waving with all their fingers..... Just an fyi.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    I don't think we can classify a person who is attempting to comply with a statute, regulation or policy that requires him to unload his gun and store it in his vehicle as "John Wayne-Dirty Harry-Quick Draw Mcgraw-Mr. HOTSHOT".
    You are, of course, correct. I really meant to say "Dumb Ass!" but was trying to be nice about it. Even at that only when he screws up the "drill". (As is the case here.)

You will generally find that I have very little sympathy for self inflicted wounds, especially if predicated through carelessness and/or stupidity. My concern is more for the "innocent bystanders" that might get involuntarily involved while one tries to qualify for "Darwin Awards". (Worst case scenario, it could even be me!)

I have long decided that I am to meet my demise at the hands of a soccer mom behind the wheel of a three ton SUV with a cell phone stuck in her ear. (The odds seem to so indicate! LOL!) My objective, of course, is to try to beat the odds! Thus far, so good, despite many serious attempts at my life on the Nation's roadways over the years.

It's real easy! All you have to do is pay bloody attention to what you are doing! (Knowing full well that the average American's attention span is somewhat less than a 30 second commercial. More's the pity.)

GG

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast