Spartanburg County Deputy Shot

Thread: Spartanburg County Deputy Shot

Spartanburg County Deputy Shot

Three people are in police custody and one sheriff's deputy is left recovering from a shooting that took place in Spartanburg late Sunday.

Out of state officials arrested 27-year-old Robert Odell Brown, 25-year-old Crystal Dominique Lovett and 18-year-old Shiquan Freeman for their alleged involvement in the shooting that happened around 10 p.m. following a short chase on Kimberly Drive.

Deputies say the Brown crashed his Cadillac, got out and "a scuffle ensued". Brown shot Deputy Brad James twice with .410-guage shot, once near the eye and once in the back, Spartanburg County Sheriff Chuck Wright said.

James, who worked narcotics and has been with the department for three years, has undergone surgery but is expected to be OK, the sheriff added. He is left recovering with impaired vision.

Officials say James returned fire, and hit Brown before he drove off.

According to Spartanburg County Communications dispatchers, the red Cadillac Brown was driving was found on Lucerne Drive shortly before 4:00 a.m. Monday.

Brown was later traced to Virginia using cell phone tracking technology.

Brown and his alleged accomplices were arrested in Carroll County, VA after a confrontation with law officers there around 7:30 a.m. Monday.

The Carroll County VA Sheriff's Office says Spartanburg County deputies followed the suspect's car to their jurisdiction and they called for assistance.

There was a brief chase there before the two men and woman were arrested.

Officials say Brown was shot two more times in an attempt to get away. He is recovering from his wounds in the hospital. He is charged with attempted murder, armed robbery, burglary, failure to stop for police, resisting arrest with a deadly weapon.

Lovett and Freeman are charged with accessory after the fact to a felony of murder.

Sheriff Wright held a press conference Monday afternoon about the trio.

Wright told reporters that Brown has a lengthy criminal history in the Upstate. Wright said this is a case where the justice system has failed us.

Wright also thanked the Carroll County VA Sheriff's Office for their quick response in this case.

Wright went on to call Deputy Brad James a "hero" who was doing his job.

Wright also took the time to push for personal protection and the use of concealed weapons permits. He made the same suggestions last week after the arrest of an accused rapist

glad to hear the officer will recover, It's a shame about the impaired vision, will more than likely take him out of the field

It's what happens when the "authority/respect" for LEOs are diminished in the minds of the general public.

Which, in turn, only drives LEOs further into the "them versus us" mode of dealing with your average citizen.

This is NOT a good thing to have happen to a society.

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

5. Us vs Them I never paint with such broad strokes because I wouldn't want to be painted with those same strokes theyre just idiots that keep the legal system flurishing and me armed there is no doubt if he had of come across someone else to harm in order to get away it would have been a sad day for them stay prepared people stay armed

Quote Originally Posted by Grognard Gunny View Post
    It's what happens when the "authority/respect" for LEOs are diminished in the minds of the general public.

Which, in turn, only drives LEOs further into the "them versus us" mode of dealing with your average citizen.

This is NOT a good thing to have happen to a society.

GG
    Has nothing to do with an "us versus them" attitude. How about a couple people that do not want to get put in jail will hurt anyone in their way to escape. Has nothing to do with what their opinions are of police. Its not like they were trying to escape going "Gee, I dont like cops, I think I might try shooting one to express my negative opinions about them"

That was a pretty long chase then. I've driven the likely route a number of times. They would have had to get gas sooner or later. About 175 miles of chase. Glad the officer will survive.

Quote Originally Posted by Deserteagle View Post
    Has nothing to do with an "us versus them" attitude. How about a couple people that do not want to get put in jail will hurt anyone in their way to escape. Has nothing to do with what their opinions are of police. Its not like they were trying to escape going "Gee, I dont like cops, I think I might try shooting one to express my negative opinions about them"
    I HAD made the leap from the specific case to a more general observation. The steps involved were:

1) Obvious lack of respect of Police IN THIS CASE.

2) Note to self: "Open season" on Police has become more prevalent over the years.

3) Why? Libs and others try to demonize Police at every turn... these efforts CAN turn into a general dislike/distrust of Police in general. (MOOOOOOOM! They won't let me do what I want to! WAAAAAH!)

4) If there exists a general disregard for Police overall, it comes to follow that the disrespect for the "Badge" follows...... THEY are the "enemy".

5) If the "distrust" and zero confidence between civilians and the Police becomes widespread, then taking a potshot at an LEO is not as unheard of as hitherto.

THEN comes my post, in context.

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

@Gunny - I took your first post in the way I think you meant it and totally agree with it. I remember when the term "Pigs" was very popular for speaking of LEO and don't know it that was the start of the "Us vs. Them" or not but was sure an acclerant for it. The divide between the US and THEM is becoming wider and the US group is growing fast. Whether or not it had any effect on the incident in question is unknown but there are a lot that are. There is a lot of "baiting" going on in the gun community and a lot of "justification" for it. I think I better stop now before the hole too deep for a ladder and I need a rope.

The problem goes back years...The breakdown of the family has allot to do with our current issues on several levels.
    When a father can just walk out on his kid's and take no responsibility the kid's will carry that into adulthood. Kid's need a Father & Mother in the home. If this is not possible they need the other parent to be very strong and be very involved with the kid's. Don't allow them to become mall rats.