Wounded Roadkill Question - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 40

Thread: Wounded Roadkill Question

  1. #11
    If you shoot it, you most likely will be breaking the law. If nobody is around, not too much risk. If you call 911, they will probably send a department of wildlife officer out to kill it.

  2.   
  3. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Sandpoint, Idaho
    Posts
    1,315
    Around here, you take care of it. Shoot it, drag it off the road, then inform the sheriff's office or Fish and Game. There's no way you'd get prosecuted in this part of the country.

  4. In Wisconsin, that would be illegal. A police officer would come and would have to shoot it. If you wanted to take the deer for meat, you could but only with a car kill permit from a police officer/state patrol/game warden.

  5. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Gaston South Carolina
    Posts
    185

    Wounded deer

    I am answering in a differant way,
    the deer is killed by your car you,wife,girl/boy_friend vegetarian you correctly clean the deer knowing you do not eat deer you contact shelters be it boys,girls,womens,homeless this does 2 things feeds needy or lower income places and does not leave a carcass to rot and smell.

    Just my .02
    A Body Piercing
    Saved My Life
    <(((><

  6. Quote Originally Posted by blkcheech View Post
    In Wisconsin, that would be illegal. A police officer would come and would have to shoot it. If you wanted to take the deer for meat, you could but only with a car kill permit from a police officer/state patrol/game warden.
    Here in Wisconsin it happens ALOT in rural areas. Twice I hit a nice sized deer and just used a knife to finish it off then just called the sheriffs dept and they just told me to take it if I want it. They never even asked to come out and they just sent me a form to send out about the accident.

  7. #16
    I guess it really all depends on the location. If I'm in BFE, even if it's "against the law" it's not really going to be a big deal. In the city, calling the local authority seems like the only option. My biggest concern is when you're right in that grey area and you have to sit and watch an animal suffer knowing you could easily help it. Let's just hope that scenario never happens, it will be ugly no matter what I decide I guess

  8. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Houston Metro Area, Texas
    Posts
    3,004
    Although most likely done many times, in Texas it is illegal to discharge a weapon from a highway call report accident and have game warden or police officer distroy the animal.

  9. #18

    My 2 cents

    When I lived in Wisconsin, somebody hit a raccoon on the road by our house. Its back end was paralyzed and it was obviously suffering. I called the sheriff and requested permission to shoot the animal. The operator told me to go ahead, so I put it out of its misery. No report was made and I didn't have any problems.

  10. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Posts
    1,207
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by mvantuyl View Post
    When I lived in Wisconsin, somebody hit a raccoon on the road by our house. Its back end was paralyzed and it was obviously suffering. I called the sheriff and requested permission to shoot the animal. The operator told me to go ahead, so I put it out of its misery. No report was made and I didn't have any problems.
    Well, if another four years of our current regime happens I'd suppose that by the end of those four years that racoon might be eligible for a PETA backed medical plan similar to medicaid.
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

  11. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by localgirl View Post
    Around here, you take care of it. Shoot it, drag it off the road, then inform the sheriff's office or Fish and Game. There's no way you'd get prosecuted in this part of the country.
    Where would that be? I need to put your part of the country on my "places I might retire" list! MAN, I hate California!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast