Wounded Roadkill Question - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wounded Roadkill Question

1. Quote Originally Posted by Jugganate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blkcheech View Post
    In Wisconsin, that would be illegal. A police officer would come and would have to shoot it. If you wanted to take the deer for meat, you could but only with a car kill permit from a police officer/state patrol/game warden.
    Here in Wisconsin it happens ALOT in rural areas. Twice I hit a nice sized deer and just used a knife to finish it off then just called the sheriffs dept and they just told me to take it if I want it. They never even asked to come out and they just sent me a form to send out about the accident.
    The different departments can handle it how they wish, but the simple fact is that killing an animal, out of season, without a license, is illegal. If you did have the proper hunting license, I suppose you could kill the animal within the legal requirments, but then you would need to tag it and register it properly. It looks a liitle fishy to game wardens when you "hit a deer" and "had to kill it". That is why they prefer a n officer dispatch the animal. Again, your local department may handle it differently, but if I were you I would demand/request politely they come out with a road kill tag. If you were to get stopped and had an untagged deer, could be more trouble than it is worth. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Providence Ranch View Post
    Where would that be? I need to put your part of the country on my "places I might retire" list! MAN, I hate California!
    Closely guarded secret ;)

Quote Originally Posted by cartisdm:242270
    The other day my fiancee and I almost struck a deer at 12am off I-66, in what some would call "the country." She is a HUGE animal person and vegetarian so the thought stuck with me longer than usual. If I were to strike the deer and it was visibly wounded beyond healing, should I get out and shoot it with my .45?

Growing up I spent plenty of time hunting so I'm no foreigner to slaughtering deer, but after meeting my future wife I've since given up the pastime (it was never that big for me anyway, I'd rather fish). However, if we struck an animal and it was going to suffer in pain until it died, would I be expecting any trouble from local law enforcement if I just got out, shot it, then left it? I realize that located plays a big part in this issue because the closer to an urban environment you are, the more likely trouble with firearms will occur but what would the general rule of thumb be?

I remember a time when my dad struck a deer with his truck. He grabbed his butcher knife (we were on out way out for a hunt), chased down the deer, cut its throat, then tossed it in the back of the truck. Now, that's a little brutal an would absolutely mortify my fiancee. However, I think she would understand that the animal needed to be put down and for practicality sake calling a vet isn't the best option.

Sorry for the long drawn out story. The sum things up, if you hit a deer on the side of the road should you just shoot it? Try to be realistic in your answer and understand that animals are hit all over, not just in rural areas. Discharging a firearm that close to the road is most likely illegal under all circumstances, but putting and animal down and getting back in my car to carry on about my day doesn't seem like something that's going to put me on America's Most Wanted list...
    IMHO
    No you just keep driving. No need to invite unwanted hassles.

If you strike a deer hard enough to mortally wound it, I would surmise the damage to your vehicle would be substantial and require a police report for insurance purposes. After a car / deer collision, a good citizen would insure the deer is not left in or near the roadway to prevent another unfortunate accident. And by all means, be aware of on coming traffic, because many motorists have been struck and killed stopping on the side of the road on the highway for any reason. Best advice, call 911 and let LEO handle it. Just my 3.5 cents...

If you hit the deer and wound it. Stop, call police if in town. If in the country and no one is around, shoot it.
    You don't need to call the police for a deer hit. The police are going to ask if you need a tow truck. If not and the deer isn't limping around they will ask why you are bothering them!

If the deer is limping around they will take care of it, but not quickly. (At least not where I live.) My boys called because of an injured deer in our back yard. Officer had to call to get permission to use a shot gun (He should have used my axe.) and then he shot AT it three times before he hit it in the head and left it lying in the yard for me to take care of.

Psalm 82:3-5

Quote Originally Posted by MarkX View Post
    If you hit the deer you should call the police anyway. Your insurance may baulk at your claim if there is no police report.*
    If in a rural area I cannot believe anyone would blink an eye at putting it down.
    In town you might upset some people.
    If the police are slow in responding ask the 911 operator for permission.

*My father worked in insurance and always told me if a deer runs out in front of you, aim for the back legs. If you are in accident and there is no proof a deer was involved you will be seen as a failure to control. In defense of the insurance company on this, anyone can claim a deer ran across th road. In this case you can't blame the company, you need to blame the people who have lied to them.
    I'm guessing neither you nor your father have ever been in a deer vs vehicle collision.

First off...if you hit a deer, believe me, there will be evidence. Blood. Fur. Guts. Dead or wounded deer. Deer-shaped imprint on your sheet metal. It's not pretty.

(The only time I ever saw otherwise was when I managed to swerve just enough, and took him down one side of my vehicle, with no apparent damage to either vehicle or deer. The deer was still alive and ran off.)

Seriously? Aim for the back legs?? If you have enough time to do that, you probably have enough time to avoid the damn thing.
    S&W M&P 45; Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum; Charter Arms .38 Undercover
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/members/phillip-gain-albums-phil-s-photos-picture3828-reciprocity-map-29jun11.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by blkcheech View Post
    It looks a liitle fishy to game wardens when you "hit a deer" and "had to kill it".
    Are the game wardens really stupid where you are?

Anyone with eyes - especially a game warden - knows the difference between a road-wounded animal that was put out of its misery with a well-placed mercy shot with your pistol, vs an animal that was killed with a gun then run over once or twice in its non-meat areas to make it look like a roadkill.

Hint: If the animal has tire marks over its midsection or front, and there's no damage to your vehicle's sheet metal..then THAT is going to look suspicious.
    S&W M&P 45; Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum; Charter Arms .38 Undercover
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/members/phillip-gain-albums-phil-s-photos-picture3828-reciprocity-map-29jun11.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Rick246:242290
    They might give you a more humane answer and quicker. Besides which, shooting a game animal in or out of season with out a license is a violation of the law whether you take the animal or not.
    I agree, in reality your harvesting the animal once you take its life & out of season, you have no deer tags,to close to the road, your not LE or GW, IMO thats a clear case of poaching!

10. Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Gain View Post
    Are the game wardens really stupid where you are?

Anyone with eyes - especially a game warden - knows the difference between a road-wounded animal that was put out of its misery with a well-placed mercy shot with your pistol, vs an animal that was killed with a gun then run over once or twice in its non-meat areas to make it look like a roadkill.

Hint: If the animal has tire marks over its midsection or front, and there's no damage to your vehicle's sheet metal..then THAT is going to look suspicious.
    The point is that there are plenty of people out there that will hit a deer on PURPOSE and then shoot it and say, "Oh it ran out in front of me and I just shot it out of mercy."

It may SEEM simple, to just put it out since no recovery is possible. That may work in some states, it could also get you in trouble in others. Of course there can be a wide range of circumstances. If I wanted to keep the meat or rack I'd hold my fire & call the cops. I've seen deer under dire circumstances on the side of the road, 2 occasions come to mind. Both deer were still alive, not going anywhere with possibly broken backs. I called the authorities in both cases.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast