I mildly brandished last night
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I mildly brandished last night

1. I mildly brandished last night

I thought i would share my first experience with my firearm. It's not an action packed story but it did the job and I'm thankful it didn't escalate.

The wife and I typically walk to the grocery shore instead of driving to fight the flab. The store is about 3/4 a mile away and I usually walk it several times a day. We have never had a problem, and being from a small country town I never expected one either. Population is like 2600 or something small, but we are just outside a larger city filled with tweakers. Anyway we were checking out at the register and I looked over and saw several trashy looking guys, 4 total I think staring at us through the front of the store, which made me a little nervous since I use a money clip so it was obvious I had a few hundred on me. I always try and avoid these situations so as we walked out instead of going left where they were loitering I told my wife to walk straight out before going left on the sidewalk. Once we got to the sidewalk however I noticed out of the corner of my eye that they appeared to be headed our way. My wife is a natural speedwalker so I figured we would just out walk them.

About a 1/3rd of the way home my wife glanced back and then asked if I was carrying my gun. This shocked me as my wife is one of those it wont happen to me people, especially in my town. I of course was packing, however instead of it being in my wallet holster I was Mexican carrying it in the sob position. I Mexican carry around the house unchambered as an added security measure for my daughter. She couldn't rack the slide if her life depended on it, so it just adds some extra comfort knowing that. So we are about 2/3 the way home when I noticed they stopped talking or started wispering making me VERY nervous so I asked my wife to be as quiet as possible. They were VERY close now and I knew I still needed to chamber a round. I asked my wife how she wanted to handle it and she said do what you gotta do so I very gently lifted my hooded sweatshirt up from the front so it would rise up in the back revealing my gun. Not 10 steps go by before I turn for a peak and they did a complete u turn hightailing it out of there. The fact that there was 4 of them, all probably smacked out on dope meant it was going to end badly if I let it continue and now thankfully my wife 100% understands why I carry and loves it. We had some good loving after dinner!

I know its not a huge climatic story but I just wanted to share. It doesn't matter where you live, there's drugs in EVERY town and people willing to do what it takes to get them. I live across the street from the only gas station in town where I talk to the local LEO a lot and I relayed the story to him. He said I handled it very well in that I didn't flash it threateningly ( eye contact or use of words ) but I made a mistake by not just calling the cops while I was walking. That is one thing I definately need to work on. My thoughts were more around how fast can I get my gun, cock and fire and at who first. I usually always carry one in the chamber but I didn't take that extra minute to grab my holster. I hope everyone here carries with a round ready and a good holster. It saves lives.

You should have just drew down just knowing you were gonna get beaten by drug crazed fiends. I hear you can get away with that now:):)

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/conce...ntinued-5.html

Good job though. :)

KK

Carry all of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Cotillion View Post
    I thought i would share my first experience with my firearm. It's not an action packed story but it did the job and I'm thankful it didn't escalate.

The wife and I typically walk to the grocery shore instead of driving to fight the flab. The store is about 3/4 a mile away and I usually walk it several times a day. We have never had a problem, and being from a small country town I never expected one either. Population is like 2600 or something small, but we are just outside a larger city filled with tweakers. Anyway we were checking out at the register and I looked over and saw several trashy looking guys, 4 total I think staring at us through the front of the store, which made me a little nervous since I use a money clip so it was obvious I had a few hundred on me. I always try and avoid these situations so as we walked out instead of going left where they were loitering I told my wife to walk straight out before going left on the sidewalk. Once we got to the sidewalk however I noticed out of the corner of my eye that they appeared to be headed our way. My wife is a natural speedwalker so I figured we would just out walk them.

About a 1/3rd of the way home my wife glanced back and then asked if I was carrying my gun. This shocked me as my wife is one of those it wont happen to me people, especially in my town. I of course was packing, however instead of it being in my wallet holster I was Mexican carrying it in the sob position. I Mexican carry around the house unchambered as an added security measure for my daughter. She couldn't rack the slide if her life depended on it, so it just adds some extra comfort knowing that. So we are about 2/3 the way home when I noticed they stopped talking or started wispering making me VERY nervous so I asked my wife to be as quiet as possible. They were VERY close now and I knew I still needed to chamber a round. I asked my wife how she wanted to handle it and she said do what you gotta do so I very gently lifted my hooded sweatshirt up from the front so it would rise up in the back revealing my gun. Not 10 steps go by before I turn for a peak and they did a complete u turn hightailing it out of there. The fact that there was 4 of them, all probably smacked out on dope meant it was going to end badly if I let it continue and now thankfully my wife 100% understands why I carry and loves it. We had some good loving after dinner!

I know its not a huge climatic story but I just wanted to share. It doesn't matter where you live, there's drugs in EVERY town and people willing to do what it takes to get them. I live across the street from the only gas station in town where I talk to the local LEO a lot and I relayed the story to him. He said I handled it very well in that I didn't flash it threateningly ( eye contact or use of words ) but I made a mistake by not just calling the cops while I was walking. That is one thing I definately need to work on. My thoughts were more around how fast can I get my gun, cock and fire and at who first. I usually always carry one in the chamber but I didn't take that extra minute to grab my holster. I hope everyone here carries with a round ready and a good holster. It saves lives.
    Glad it ended well for you...and thank you for advocating the regular use of a holster. Might I add that the holster should cover the trigger so this doesn't happen to you...

Arizona Man Accidentally Shoots His ***** Off

You know, I have read a few things like this, and I always wonder, is this a male/female thing? I can only imagine the first thing I would have done was get on my cell, call the cops, and quite loudly said something like "Yeah, there's these guys following me way to close, making me really uncomfortable, and the last thing I want to do is have to shoot somebody." But I'm kind of obnoxious that way.

Frankly, I think this was the best outcome. The display of weapons in a non-menacing way is highly underrated. And as much as people say "If you're going to draw, you shoot," just about everyone involved is going to be much happier if any conflict ends without bullets flying.

If you exposed your weapon, while "they were VERY close", and then waited to PEEK back after ten steps. What was stopping them from lunging at you and taking your gun? What is with this site lately? OH now Iknow...It was just a full moon...Lots of loonies out and about. I think I will start carrying ALL OF MY PISTOLS, AND MY 870 just in case. They all fit nicely under my trench coat.

Quote Originally Posted by titaniumman View Post
    If you exposed your weapon, while "they were VERY close", and then waited to PEEK back after ten steps. What was stopping them from lunging at you and taking your gun? What is with this site lately? OH now Iknow...It was just a full moon...Lots of loonies out and about. I think I will start carrying ALL OF MY PISTOLS, AND MY 870 just in case. They all fit nicely under my trench coat.
    I'm thinking 'very' close may be relative. Sounds to me like if they were going to rush him, he may just have been able to hear them and not taken the 10 steps before he took other action.

Calling the cops with the proximity of the drug crazed fiends would have only taken your mind off the possible imminent danger.

Although I am not one to advocate my gun being my first move, I would also not call the law in that situation until it was over. I may though have told my wife to start walking faster ahead of me and gave her a buffer zone.

It's easy to sit here and think about it after you have some time. It does give you food for thought which may make you ready'er than if you never thought about it.

KK

It is estimated that a firearm is used over 2 million times per year to stop a crime, a shot being discharged less than 8% of the time. You fall right into that stat nicely.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

I think it was a good move. You can't call the cops at every bad glance or scary looking dude. That was a real world situation and it worked out.

10. Angry

I feel you did the right thing by not drawing the handgun, I sure would get a quality holster and I would keep a round chambered.
    You really have to be careful when people see a firearm, in my case the guy made a formal complaint that I had pointed my handgun at him, this never happened. But on his word alone I was arrested in Tulsa, Oklahoma Our District Attorney charged me with a felony took about a year to get to trial I was found not guilty. But it cost me around $2000 Attorney costs and a year of going to court each Month eight times. And being out on bond all these Months.
    Just take my advice be careful how you handle things, sometimes it just don't work correctly for you.

11. I'm thinking if you don't carry with one in the chamber you might as well have a brick. Seven paces is about 21ft, takes 1.5 seconds to cover that distance. Can you retrieve, chamber a round and fire a shot accurately if needed in less than 1.5 seconds? I didn't think so...

SMH
    I don't necessarily mean everything I say, I just do it to see the [email protected]@K on your face - HueMan 1998

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast