Kimber Solo
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kimber Solo

Kimber Solo

I am looking at a new addition to my carry arsenal and have been eying up Kimber's Solo 9mm. I wanna know if anyone has one and what they think about it especially reliability, wear and how they handle + P loads if used at all. I hear both good and bad, mostly good about it but want as much input as possible before I plunk down 700 for a pocket pistol.
    "Those who would trade liberty for security, deserves neither liberty nor security."
    "The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson".

Wiley Clapp does a rundown on the Solo in the Oct 2011 issue of American Rifleman if you can find a copy of that. I'm pretty sure another recent gunrag also had a Mas Ayoob rundown of the Solo. Maybe it wasn't Ayoob but another guy who lives in Illinios who was also bitching about has lack of carry privledges.

I just bought a Raptor Ultra II in stainless. I was thinking about the Solo but it seemed a bit too small.

To each his own.

KK

Copy that. Thanks
    "Those who would trade liberty for security, deserves neither liberty nor security."

My shooting buddy loves Kimbers. He ordered the Solo when they first hit the market...waiting several weeks for delivery.

He has sent it back to Kimber three times for FTF's. He has never gotten the gun to successfully empty a magazine without failure.

I wouldn't touch one with a ten-foot pole.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowjiber View Post
    My shooting buddy loves Kimbers. He ordered the Solo when they first hit the market...waiting several weeks for delivery.

He has sent it back to Kimber three times for FTF's. He has never gotten the gun to successfully empty a magazine without failure.

I wouldn't touch one with a ten-foot pole.

I have a friend whos has been the same way... hes had one round go off since hes bought it 3 months ago... been back to Kimber three times and still waiting for it back and its been three weeks.. He wishes he never bought it .... My .02 doesn't seem to be a gun Id bet my life on...

Quote Originally Posted by longslide10 View Post
    I am looking at a new addition to my carry arsenal and have been eying up Kimber's Solo 9mm. I wanna know if anyone has one and what they think about it especially reliability, wear and how they handle + P loads if used at all. I hear both good and bad, mostly good about it but want as much input as possible before I plunk down 700 for a pocket pistol.
    According to American Rifleman the weapon can handle the +P rounds with no problem. The gun comes close to the same weight as the sub-compact 45cal. So my question would be 45 or 9mm....I'd rather have the stopping power of the 45..

The gun write ups I have read all seemed positive, but all mention the fact that it tends to twist in your hand and you seem to have to adjust your grip for each shot. The previously mentioned FTF would tell me to go with something else, like a Springfield Armory EMP in 9mm. That is a nice Handgun, rented one to check it out, was comfortable and accurate. It was dirty as hell but never skipped a beat. last note, my brother has been waiting 6 mo for a solo he ordered. Said he will sell it when and IF he gets it.

Get yourself a Glock instead.

Yeah I like Glock better but Kimbers look so nice.

Appreciate all the info but I may throw caution to the wind and buy one anyway. I don't want or like plastic guns that much and I carry a SA XD 4" 45 at times which is a bit bulky and heavy for some methods of carry so I want a non-plastic pocket pistol that still has enough stopping power. Another one I am considering is the Kahr MK9 Elite but it's a bit heavier than the Kimber, it'll be a toss up between the two. If I come across more negative feedback through research on the Kimber I may just go with Kahr.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast