safety requirements - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: safety requirements

Quote Originally Posted by Deserteagle View Post
    If we require training to exercise one basic right, where is the limit to requiring training for other basic rights? Should we require 20 hours of 1st amendment training about how to safely use words and protest before allowing people to speak or gather together?
    Training isnt going to fix stupid, but at least natural selection has a way of doing that.
    Well, sometimes I wish people had to take training to properly use words. Heh.

It sounds like your friend didn't know a lot about guns. I would just be glad he didn't point it at you while handing it back. And I wouldn't have locked the slide, either, unless you made it clear to me that's how you wanted me to handle the weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Deserteagle View Post
    If we require training to exercise one basic right, where is the limit to requiring training for other basic rights? Should we require 20 hours of 1st amendment training about how to safely use words and protest before allowing people to speak or gather together?
    Training isnt going to fix stupid, but at least natural selection has a way of doing that.
    I vote for parental training before people are allowed to have kids.

I don't even think you should have to apply for a permit
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

5. Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    I don't even think you should have to apply for a permit
    or pay for one.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    or pay for one.
    Pay isn't the issue. If I can legally own a gun I should be able to carry it at my discretion
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Unfortunately, the government has regulated away most natural selection, and stupid is multiplying at an alarming rate because of it!
    Well now now, lets not be too critical of the government. After all, it knows what's best for us! We need a strong "social safety net" because its good for us. Natural selection is bad of course, darn nature! And we also need socialized medicine because the all-knowing BO says its good for us and if we dont like it, we are racist, hateful, fear mongering, radical conservatives who dont know anything because all we do is "cling to guns and religion" in our "57 states".

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Gain View Post
    On the one hand - I would love to see no infringements on the 2nd Amendment as the Constitution states. (But realizing that rights may be taken away by due process of law for convictions of crimes.)

On the other hand, though - I really hate the idea of unsafe idiots being able to carry without training.
    Agreed. Particularly when one can find evidence of the "I know everything there is to know about gunslinging..." being put to the lie every day.... If not in news items showing an amazing level of ignorance concerning safety, then in some of the commentary discovered right here in these forums concerning safety procedures.

Almost to the point where one has to ask one's self; "Should I be more concerned about the potential Bad Guys or the stupidity of some of my fellow 'gunslingers'"?

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

I tend to agreee with NavLCdr and would be perfectly willing to let natural selection both weed and strengthen the gene pool.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. Unsafe gun handlers take down others, not only themselves.

Therein lies the dilemma. While I don't mind someone "dummy"-ing themselves to death.... I do have a bit of a complaint if they try to take me with them.

As for the safety courses...... Most "tools" have safety concerns inherent in their safe operation. Guns no less than.... say, chain saws. But there are no safety courses for chain saws...........

A few years back, in my neck of the woods, there was one hell of a Spring wind storm went through here that trashed a LOT of lumber. Surprisingly, no lives were lost during the storm. Immediately after the wind died down, however..... one stalwart soul armed with his power chain saw went out into his driveway to begin to clear the tree blocking his drive. His very first "cut" was on a large branch that was folded under the bulk of the fallen tree. You guessed it..... upon "release" from the pressure that branch was under, it swung/whipped out and just about took Mr. Chain Saw's head off. (Visualize a watermelon and a baseball bat.) Went on the "books" as death due to storm rather than death due to stupidity.

..... (fade back to "chain saws").... but should there be?

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

You can (and should) correct his bad behavior. I would welcome him into the world of accepting responsibility for his own protection. Be glad a fellow citizen has joined our ranks!!

Remember we all were beginners once and someone took the time to teach us the correct way to handle a weapon. For me it was a Father!

Personally I have felt and trained myself that an unchecked gun by myself is a loaded gun. Even if i just watched some one drop the magazine and rack the gun. Even when I go shopping to look for a new gun they hand the gun to me after they have racked the slide and locked it back. The first thing I do when I pick up the gun is physically check it myself and when I hand the firearm back I rack it and place the slide in the locked back position. Safety should be everyone's priority. After my friend had handed me back the gun I instructed him on the proper way to check the gun as well as make it safe.

I feel the the 2nd amendment should not be infringed upon. But just because we have the right don't mean we need to abuse the right. Proper training and safety should be the first priority of every gun owner. For example the state I live in (Indiana) you do not have to demonstrate any knowledge in proper handgun techniques.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast