safety requirements - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: safety requirements

When I show a friend a firearm I also unload it and inspect the chamber and make sure there's no ammo around. But I would not inspect that person to rack the slide of an unfamiliar firearm that was not loaded 30 seconds ago. Bullets don't magically climb into guns. IMHO that's a bit extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by jg1967 View Post
    When I show a friend a firearm I also unload it and inspect the chamber and make sure there's no ammo around. But I would not inspect that person to rack the slide of an unfamiliar firearm that was not loaded 30 seconds ago. Bullets don't magically climb into guns. IMHO that's a bit extreme.
    Oh yes they do they do indeed
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Maybe on your planet but not on mine. ;-0

Maybe I'm just obsessed with safety. I'm the type of person who has seen the unexpected. I used to carry with out a round in the chamber and practiced loading a round in the chamber as I pulled the gun out. After some training I was able to load a round by the time I was able to get the gun to the half way point of being able to fire. Now that I have carried enough and feel comfortable enough doing so I carry with a round in the chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    If bullets magically climbed into guns, I would definitely not have a callus on my thumb from loading so darn many mags!

Quote Originally Posted by jg1967 View Post
    Extreme? Maybe. I look at it as a habit that, once gotten into, stays with you for life.

Kind of like the automatic "keys check" I go through before I close the door of the house behind me or the car door. Never locked myself out of anything, yet.

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

Better to overemphasize safety than to suffer the consequences of underemphasizing it.

It's those "consequences" that can be very "extreme" indeed. Up to and including the age old observation that one is only dead ONCE!

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

JSDinTexas Guest
    A couple of comments addressing the posts:

1. When I "clear" the weapon, I remove the magazine, cycle to eject any round that may be chambered, lock back the slide, AND stick my pinky finger in the chamber to physically feel if there is a bullet still in there. Why? Because my eyes are getting old like the rest of me.

4. Had a buddy over to the house - he showed me his 1911 while we sat at the kitchen table. After he cleared the weapon and handed it to me, I cleared it again. He said, "no need, it's empty." I just smiled at him while I finished my clearing.

2. If a person presumes to carry a gun, they should also presume to use it correctly and responsibly. If they have never had firearm training or instruction, they should go to a class voluntarily, not because it may or may not be required.

3. I am a strict constitutionalist, and believe the 2nd is all that is needed, but I didn't want to go to jail or pay thousands to fight a felony in court, so I got the permit. Yes folks, even in Texas.

If you feel better racking the slide 4 times instead of 3 then by all means do so. Personally I prefer to slow down, pay attention and make sure I do it slowly and deliberately but just once.

In a word? YES. As an instructor I find most people have absolutely no clue when it comes to gun safety. For those that say "no" I wonder if they feel uncomfortable when the guy next to them is turning in their diredtion, loaded with finger on trigger. I tell students when they go to a range don't just setup and start shooting. Do a "huckalero" check of the other shooters. Sometimes it's just better to call it a day and go home.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast