safety requirements - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: safety requirements

Exactly why the wife and I go shooting on afternoons when she "flexes" at work and gets a half day off. We typically get there around one and generally there is, at most, one-two others in there shooting with us.

All the better to keep a situational awareness on what is happening on the line.

As for "checking and clearing" guns being handed back and forth.... Not only is it a good "safety" habit to get into and ALWAYS do, it is also a demonstration of good manners AND an indication of the level of safety the other party to the "exchange" adheres to.

A visual demonstration of: "See? I am safety oriented by checking and clearing this weapon before handing it to you. I expect no less a level of observed safety from you."

There's a certain level of personal comfort by observing these little niceties of interpersonal relationships.

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

Quote Originally Posted by jg1967 View Post
    When I show a friend a firearm I also unload it and inspect the chamber and make sure there's no ammo around. But I would not inspect that person to rack the slide of an unfamiliar firearm that was not loaded 30 seconds ago. Bullets don't magically climb into guns. IMHO that's a bit extreme.
    Check it again anyway. That's the rule and we NEVER break it. NRA instructors are required to teach new gun owners to unload and clear every gun everytime it's handled. No exceptions. It takes two seconds so there's no reason not to check. One should even check their own gun everytime they strap-on or put it away.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Maybe on your planet but not on mine. ;-0
    Treo is correct. Bullets have a way of finding their way into the picture. The decision is not ours. We always check the gun. Can anyone give me a reason why this two-second check is such a burden? NEVER deviate from procedure. Never allow those around you to deviate either. Most ranges have the bullet holes to show for unintentional discharges.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    Check it again anyway. That's the rule and we NEVER break it. NRA instructors are required to teach new gun owners to unload and clear every gun everytime it's handled. No exceptions. It takes two seconds so there's no reason not to check. One should even check their own gun everytime they strap-on or put it away.
    The key here is "teach." Unless you show/tell someone this is how they handle a weapon, they have no way of knowing. In my world, you always assumed a weapon was loaded anyway. Always, all the time. So you would just hand one back without pointing the barrel at anyone. Now that I've read this thread, I see it's a good additional step, and I'll add this to my safety repertoire. But I imagine there's a lot of people this simply doesn't occur to.

Don't get offended, guys. But the gun that I just checked 2 seconds ago and handed somebody and now gets handed back to me still slide open with no ammo on the table can NOT magically load itself. If it makes you feel safer to check it again or maybe check it again twice or mayb check it again 10 times then by all means do so. It certainly will not hurt anybody.

Localgirl hit it on the nose. The key is teaching. In the infancy of our nation, every household was the center of much learning, including responsible gun handling and shooting. This was a basic skill that needed to be learned. Sadly, that culture and philosophy are no longer so prevalent. The point is, back then you could reasonably expect to find safe gun handling skills in the average person above 10 or so years old. Nowadays, especially in more populated areas, you might be lucky to find one in ten who truly know and practice safe gun handling. The rest must be taught. And until they are, they will be the source of many many unfortunate incidents. We can and should help our friends, coworkers, relatives and neighbors by teaching them as we expose them to guns and gun culture. But would a one-time gun safety course requirement prior to first-time gun ownership be a bad thing? I don't believe so. Not at all.

Don't get offended, guys. But the gun that I just checked 2 seconds ago and handed somebody and now gets handed back to me still slide open with no ammo on the table can NOT magically load itself. If it makes you feel safer to check it again or maybe check it again twice or mayb check it again 10 times then by all means do so. It certainly will not hurt anybody.
    We double/triple check, not for the reasons we can think of but for the exceptional reasons we can't imagine.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

9. I will address the racking of the slide multiple times which was mentioned. I've been seeing that a lot on places like YouTube. It looks cool but is based on a false premise. The premise is that racking the slide will remove any chambered cartridges. First, you have to ask why am I racking the slide. The answer is, to confirm that the gun is unloaded. The problem is racking the slide confirms only that the slide slides. Extractors can and do fail or be badly adjusted-even on brand new guns. That's why the correct procedure is to physically look into the chamber to verify it is empty or, in poor light, to insert your pinky finger to confirm.

As far as seeing someone else clear it so you know its clear-any half-way decent magician can make you think things happened that didn't; coins from ears or collars; which shell is the pea under? I've known of instructors who will slip dummy cartridges in just to make this very point.

The gun is always loaded until you have proven otherwise. Always means always, you means you, and proof means proof.

Remember Murphy's Law.

We double/triple check, not for the reasons we can think of but for the exceptional reasons we can't imagine.
    That's fine. In a more dynamic environment with more people, more guns and more ammo out and abound I would too. I am just saying, one gun on my kitchen table with no ammo in it or around and just one more person in the mix just can't magically materialize fresh bullets and load itself. Not while I am watching it. If it can ... well, actually, first of all I then WOULD change my approach. Secondly, me and my gun would become very very rich in short order! ;-)

jg: THAT is one approach to the topic at hand, safety. Yet it is not just for the safety of others, but also for your safety.

Case in point: I typically "carry" my automatics with one in the tube and the hammer at half cock and the safety on. When stashed around the house, I generally just have a mag in, hammer down on an empty tube and the safety off. THAT is how I do "business' with the autos, no exceptions.

Thus the "safety" drill that I impose upon myself, each and every time I pick up one of my weapons at home is to insure that the weapon is in the state I want and expect it to be. Doing this repeated check every time I pick one up just serves to insure that I have not left one in the tube from my last carry of that particular gun.

I haven't "forgotten" to get that round out of the tube yet, post carry..... But, like the man says, Murphy always finds the simplest flaw to work his havoc in. Mo' bettah to be sure than to be sorry!

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast