safety requirements
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: safety requirements

safety requirements

I was with some of my friends the other day and we were talking about firearms. He has been thinking about purchasing a concealment weapon am has been wondering what to purchase. I gladly let him look at 2 of my guns just so he could get a idea of size and weight. Prior to giving him the weapon I had unloaded the magazine racked the gun several times and put the slide in locked back position prior to handing him each gun. After a few min of handling the guns and talking about what I liked about each he proceed to hand the guns back to me. In each instance he his handed them back there was no racking of the slide or locking the slide back. I know I handed him the guns unloaded and did not let him hand the clips but this lack of safe is concerning and in my state there are no required classes to revive your carry or conceal permit.

So the question I'm posing to everyone is should there be a required safety class prior to being able to be eligible for a permit to carry.

I personally feel you should be required to take a 20 hour basic training class and have a minimum of 5 hours of documented handling of the gun (range training) prior to being able to carry. To many gun relate incidents are attributed to the lack of safety knowledge.

I believe there should be no infringements on the 2nd amendment. Period. If he is a true friend of yours, you should set aside some quality time to train him up to your standards of safety. It's everyones job to keep training to make that standard higher and higher every day..

Charleston, South Carolina, United States
    I concur with the response above. :)

I'm of two minds.

On the one hand - I would love to see no infringements on the 2nd Amendment as the Constitution states. (But realizing that rights may be taken away by due process of law for convictions of crimes.)

On the other hand, though - I really hate the idea of unsafe idiots being able to carry without training.
    S&W M&P 45; Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum; Charter Arms .38 Undercover
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/members/phillip-gain-albums-phil-s-photos-picture3828-reciprocity-map-29jun11.JPG

6. Did you voice your concern? I know if I watched someone unload the mag and physically check the pipe I wouldn't feel the need to do it again if the gun hadn't left my hand in the short amount of time you described. The gun was obviously and had been proven unloaded

Folks are not born knowing gun safety, even though many think they are. If we see anyone handling a gun unsafely, I think it is incumbent on us to politely show then the safe way to handle the gun. NRA certified instructors offer courses on safe gun handling in every state in the union. Encourage folks to avail themselves of those courses.

I have found that many people who have handled guns for many years do not know the first thing about safe gun handling and would benefit from training.

JMHO

I agree with Cotillion, if I checked the gun, handed it over with no ammunition and had eyes on the whole time I would not expect him to recheck before handing it over. On the other hand if at a gunstore the sales guy checks the gun I will check for myself as soon as it hits my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Cotillion View Post
    Did you voice your concern? I know if I watched someone unload the mag and physically check the pipe I wouldn't feel the need to do it again if the gun hadn't left my hand in the short amount of time you described. The gun was obviously and had been proven unloaded
    I agree...I would have done exactly what you did, however I wouldn't expect him to do the same if he hadn't been looking at full mags or handling any ammo. I would have handed you the firearm back in the exact same manner you describe.

How many times have you gone into a gun store and had the clerk rack the slide and lock it back, then after you check it out you also rack the slide and lock it back? Personally, I've never done that, nor would, at least not in the name of safety.

Now had there been ANY ammo involved, fake or real...then I would completely expect the other party to check the weapon first.

I am a very strong proponent of training. However, when it comes to our rights I am against the government dictating the required training. I would like to see people more informed before they go to vote but each person has to decide for themselves how much research (training) they need before exercising their rights.

Interesting, what firearms were the OP handing to his friend? I am guessing a Mauser Broomhandle because the OP mentions that they used "clips" which are not used by most modern style semi-auto pistols.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast