"Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, I know" - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, I know"

The major problem with these guys is leaving loaded guns on the bench while going down range. I calmly point out that they should put the guns away before going downrange, then I get the "yeah, yeah, yeah...." bit. Another problem is with this one kid that likes to play "quick draw", eject a loaded cartridge and catch it in the air. We (management) have discussed the situation, but cannot agree on a course of action. Your suggestions so far have been helpful. Thanks for the input.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Many people worry about going to the range with me. I'm also laid back and quite a joking synical person normally. But, firearms are serious business. I applaud anyone to point out mistakes to me if I make them. I try extremely hard to make sure and follow ALL the rules.

Itís usually quite frustrating when I go to the range. I am very serious and disciplined at the line, but many others are not. I'm a college student and typically get the "I've been shooting since you were in diapers attitude from some older folks". Thatís fine and everything, I only have as much shooting experience as I have, and others may have more.

However, laziness, negligence, and failure to follow safety on range is a serious offense in my mind. I caught a guy in the range parking lot one year showing a buddy how to do a "tactical" draw from his holster. He swept half of the cars on the road and half of us on the line while doing it. I went over to him to calmly ask that he do that either pointed down range, or off in one of the training stalls. I further go to find out that not only is he doing this with a magazine in place, but also a round chambered.

I might not be great in some instances while shooting or know all there is to know, but dang nabbit safety is important. He gave the "yeah, yeah" speech followed by telling me that he had been shooting since he was 5 and was perfectly knowledgeable in firearms safety. Obviously not from his actions. I don't care how much experience you have or how old or young you are. If you break the rules, youíre going to get an ear full from me. I expect the same back. And darn tootin I agree with previous comments. When a "Cease Fire" is called, you better unload your gun at your booth, stall, etc. Preferably keep the action open. Then you can go get your target. Plus, don't fiddle with your gun while the rest of us are down range, we don't want to get shot. I think with some "yeah, yeah" people itís going to take a serious beating and/or something to put fear in them before they change easily.
    They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    ---Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    The major problem with these guys is leaving loaded guns on the bench while going down range. I calmly point out that they should put the guns away before going downrange, then I get the "yeah, yeah, yeah...." bit. Another problem is with this one kid that likes to play "quick draw", eject a loaded cartridge and catch it in the air. We (management) have discussed the situation, but cannot agree on a course of action. Your suggestions so far have been helpful. Thanks for the input.

gf
    How about a rule of "NO TRICK SHOOTING"?

At the range I shoot at, they won't let anyone DRAW without having taken advanced training. Seems to me that shooting without any real-world application practice should be banned. He wants to trick shoot? Send him elsewhere until he decides that practicing is more important than impressing people.
    Victory rewards not the army that fires the most rounds, but who is the more accurate shot. ---Unknown

Update on "Mr. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, I know"

The guy was on the range after his work shift this evening practicing for a match this weekend. While supposedly "dry firing", the guy had a ND! He left his ammo and all but one magazine in the office before going into the range area to practice. We told him that he should leave all of his magazines and clear his firearm before heading into the range area. (All firearms are supposed to be cleared and cased prior to going into the range.) He pulled his "yeah, yeah, yeah....." thing and proceeded into the range with a magazine in his pocket and his firearm holstered in his competition rig. The guy tending to the range was cleaning the rental guns when he was stunned by the sound of the ND. The two management folks on duty went into the range area and told the guy to clear and bench his firearm.

Upon inspection of the firearm, I discovered that he used a file or some other abrasive device to alter the connector in his Glock. It's up to the GM on how he gets punished. As of right now, he's suspended for a week. I'm voting for him getting fired due to the breech in at least 3 range safety rules. On his way out the door he mentioned to another manager and myself "I'm usually very safe on the range." At this point we both couldn't help but to respond "Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, I know", followed by "Mr. xxx, you're still suspended for a week."

Damn kid has got to learn sometime. I'm glad that he didn't hurt himself or someone else on the range.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12