270.......30-06
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 270.......30-06

1. 270.......30-06

Can anyone explain to me the difference in the two rounds.

3. One goes boom and the other goes booom! No seriously I'd like to know too. I've been wanting to get into rifles but I don't understand the rounds other than AK/AR

In a general sense, the 270 is a necked-down 30-06. Same case, with a narrowed neck to accommodate a narrower profile bullet. The result is a usually lighter projectile travelling a bit faster, resulting in a flatter shot. We could really get down into the weeds with ballistic data, but I think you get the idea.

270 is a .27 calber. 30-06 is a .30 caliber i think. 30-06 ballistics are a bit better and the range is a bit farther. That's kinda the basics. I'm sure somebody more intelligent than I am will give a better answer

6. The 270 is a great deer caliber. Less of a kick then the 30.06 and very popular.

I guess the question is, what are you trying to do? Larger game you might want a heavier round. Something between a coyote and a deer a 270 would work. But at the same time I have a buddy that hunts black bears here in colorado with a 270. A lot of it is preference. And yes before someone says it I realize a 270 is a over kill on a coyote but I have seen people do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Raider-3:247247
    270 is a .27 calber. 30-06 is a .30 caliber i think. 30-06 ballistics are a bit better and the range is a bit farther. That's kinda the basics. I'm sure somebody more intelligent than I am will give a better answer
    Actually, a 30-06 is 0.308" in diameter, and a 270 is 0.257" in diameter. But who's counting...:-)

9. Quote Originally Posted by Providence Ranch View Post
    Actually, a 30-06 is 0.308" in diameter, and a 270 is 0.257" in diameter. But who's counting...:-)
    I am, but for our purpose right now, that's close enough.

As Raider-3 said, it depends on what you want to do. The .270 will shoot a litter flatter which gives you a little greater point-blank range. This is useful when hunting antelope or Mule Deer (or black bear) in the high or open country where you need range more than power. It also has a little less kick due to the lighter projectile.

The 30-06 is a more versatile cartridge in that it will handle a greater range of bullet weights. This makes it more suitable for larger animals like elk and moose with their larger bones and thicker bodies. With handloading you can even hunt varmints using .22 caliber bullets in sabots.Although the famous gun writer Jack O'Connor swore by the .270 for everything up to and including these two animals, most people suggest using more gun.

Both are reliable, proven cartridges.

Quote Originally Posted by Providence Ranch View Post
    I think you'll find that the 270 bullet diameter is 0.277", not 0.257". A 0.257" bullet is a 25 caliber.
    Charlie

Woops! Must've hit the wrong number! Thanks for the correction.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast