During a gun fight, does the military use ear protection? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: During a gun fight, does the military use ear protection?

When you are fighting for your life, hearing will be the least of your of their concerns.

3. Unfortunately the military at the range use hearing protection.
    In combat they do not, even the best hearing protection muffles noise you may need to hear to keep you alive.
    That is why Most Veterans have Hearing Losses and/or Tinitus.
    The Tinitus is really irritating constant ringing in the ears, sometimes you can ignore it but it is always there.
    Speaking from experience.

An OLD Marine SGT.

4. Yes we do, we call time out and the enemy stops shooting at us while we plug up. Not really just couldn't resist.

Anyways like many have said no, we would have to wear them constantly and therefore we might miss something important while we do our duty. Even if going on a raid you need to be able to hear what is going on around you, better to avoid the bullet then the noise they make.

When I did have to fire I didn't even feel pain of even notice discomfort because of the adrenaline rush. That was both with the M249 and the BMG .50. Funny though the IED that went of a block away is what got my ears bad. Thank god I don't have the constant ringing but even then it is better then the alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Bear View Post
    Unfortunately the military at the range use hearing protection.
    In combat they do not, even the best hearing protection muffles noise you may need to hear to keep you alive.
    That is why Most Veterans have Hearing Losses and/or Tinitus.
    The Tinitus is really irritating constant ringing in the ears, sometimes you can ignore it but it is always there.
    Speaking from experience.

An OLD Marine SGT.
    WHAT HE SAID....damn phone keeps ringing.....hello, hello, HELLO!!!

6. You're kidding,right?
    While I commend the current generation for their dedication to preserving their hearing, I can't help but chuckle when a member of that generation comments on hearing an unmuffled gunshot for the first time.
    I shot for 30 some years before hearing protection became widespread including competition shotgun, rimfire, and centerfire rifle. The whole idea that a person would have such a reaction to simple nonthreatening gunfire is funny as He^^ to me. I duck or jump at loud unexpected noises but hey, I've been shot at/shot and that would be a normal reaction.

When I was in theatre (combat) we never used ear protection. Needless to say after 3 tours in Irac I have 60% total hearing loss. I learned to read lips...so what, its not a big deal. As long as I came back in one piece...and I can assure you the hearing loss is permanant. So is being shellshocked,nightmares,flashbacks...i could go on & on. You are not the same person after Combat, not even close'.....thats permanant too.

Once again...modular plugs. They work. They're available. Save your hearing.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Malakai Christoff:247457
    When I was in theatre (combat) we never used ear protection. Needless to say after 3 tours in Irac I have 60% total hearing loss. I learned to read lips...so what, its not a big deal. As long as I came back in one piece...and I can assure you the hearing loss is permanant. So is being shellshocked,nightmares,flashbacks...i could go on & on. You are not the same person after Combat, not even close'.....thats permanant too.
    Thank you for your response and thank you for having served our country.

Quote Originally Posted by ti02 View Post
    Once again...modular plugs. They work. They're available. Save your hearing.
    I'll show you my "modular plugs".
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by Malakai Christoff View Post
    I understand how you feel. One of my husband's relative came back from Vietnam a different man than when he left. He was such a nice guy with a nice wife and a child. Very caring. He was sent to Vietnam and came back a broken man, started beating his wife and doing stuffs no one thought he was capable of. He ended up committing suicide.

Thank you for your service. I am glad you came back in one piece. Be at peace with your fellowman. We appreciate what you did for us all here, keeping us safe.
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast