During a gun fight, does the military use ear protection? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: During a gun fight, does the military use ear protection?

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker's Mom View Post
    I understand how you feel. One of my husband's relative came back from Vietnam a different man than when he left. He was such a nice guy with a nice wife and a child. Very caring. He was sent to Vietnam and came back a broken man, started beating his wife and doing stuffs no one thought he was capable of. He ended up committing suicide.

Thank you for your service. I am glad you came back in one piece. Be at peace with your fellowman. We appreciate what you did for us all here, keeping us safe.
    Sadly, it happens way too often. I'm glad that the military now offers counseling for those returning from combat. It helped me to deal with a lot of the stuff I dealt with overseas.
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    Sadly, it happens way too often. I'm glad that the military now offers counseling for those returning from combat. It helped me to deal with a lot of the stuff I dealt with overseas.
    And thank you for serving this country too. We will continue to fly our flag for you and all the vets and all those serving overseas to keep us safe. We are because of people like you.
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

Earplugs? Nope. Which explains my hearing loss and Tinnitus. LOL. Buddy of mine was a cannon-cocker in the 101st in Vietnam and he said that they used to (sometimes) put cigarette butts in their ears, but had no earplugs. Almost deaf as a post, too.
    BTW for ANYONE still in the service, BEFORE YOU GET OUT, make sure to get your hearing tested! It is a real bi** to get any compensation for anything that is NOT in your health records! List EVERYTHING that was ever wrong with you while on active duty, no matter how minor orembarrassingg. It will save you TONS of grief should you ever have to deal with the VA. Also, remember that it may be MANY years before you have to do this. There are STILL WWII guys going through VA for INITIAL claims and award increases, etc., ESPECIALLY PTSD. Don't be macho, DOCUMENT!
    Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man gainst his own bosom. Congress have no power to disarm the militia...Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

I went through "boot" in '63 and we used cotton balls as ear plugs on the range. Thought that was a fine idea and carried cotton balls with me in Nam. Once the crap was ON.... I stuck them in as soon as I could.

It wasn't so much that it stopped the sound altogether, it more or less took the "edge" off the loudest of the lot.

Must have worked, I still have excellent hearing, just a little off the very high end scale.

... and I STILL jump when a loud noise goes off unexpectedly around me.

... and yes the "soiling of the trou" combat ritual for FNGs is real. (I managed to hold my water and crap OK. My post "flap" reaction was to puke my guts out.) Ah, the little indignities (and realities) of life. DAMN! John Wayne never puked! (LOL!)

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

Heard from some of the "OLD SALTS" that were in Korea, used cig filters. Never tried it myself, but I guess it would work in a pinch. Corps never issued any that I'm aware of. Hell, I was only 17 then & never even thought about it. But now I find myself saying what? alot.

Closest we ever came to hearing protection was a flight helmet with headphones when I was flying gunner on an old Huey C-model gunship...with a minigun about 4 ft from my head one direction, a jet engine about 5ft the other direction and a cut down M-60 in my hands.

40+ years later, my ears still ring...

Im a former Marine who did a tour of duty in Vietnam. Earplugs was not a standard issue then and I doubt if they are now!!

I was issued Surefire EP-3's for my tours in Afghanistan and Iraq. The following is from Surefire's website:

EP3 Sonic Defenders protect your hearing without interfering with your ability to hear routine sounds or conversations. Their double-flange stem design fits most people and provides a Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) of 24dB. Sounds, at safe levels, are allowed to pass through into the ear canal, while potentially harmful noises (above 85dB) are reduced via a proprietary design that incorporates the patented Hocks Noise Braker® filter. EP3s include attached stopper plugs, which can be inserted for further protection, and they also block out lower-level noise like that heard on a plane. They can be used in situations where hearing ambient sounds or conversations isn't critical.

The interesting thing is that I can hear at all. I did a lot of shooting when I was in the Boy Scouts, 4 years military - two in Vietman and some flying in C-130's which are supposed to cause hearing loss with just one "application" - plus four years as a drummer in a rock band through HS and some of college - now if my muffs even slip a little I feel the pain. In indoor sometimes I double block and sometimes that is not enough - but like I say still hear pretty well. Like an earlier poster said "the human body is an amazing thing."
    NRA Certified Instructor, Vietnam Veteran
    XD 9 MM, XD 40, 9 MM SC, 9 MM Tactical, XDM 5.25 Custom Canyon Creek 9 mm, XDM 9MM, XDM 40 Canyon Creek XDM Limited, CZ 75B, Ruger MIII, Buckmark, Beretta Neos, CX4 Storm

Quote Originally Posted by dcselby1 View Post
    Earplugs? Nope. Which explains my hearing loss and Tinnitus. LOL. Buddy of mine was a cannon-cocker in the 101st in Vietnam and he said that they used to (sometimes) put cigarette butts in their ears, but had no earplugs. Almost deaf as a post, too.
    BTW for ANYONE still in the service, BEFORE YOU GET OUT, make sure to get your hearing tested! It is a real bi** to get any compensation for anything that is NOT in your health records! List EVERYTHING that was ever wrong with you while on active duty, no matter how minor orembarrassingg. It will save you TONS of grief should you ever have to deal with the VA. Also, remember that it may be MANY years before you have to do this. There are STILL WWII guys going through VA for INITIAL claims and award increases, etc., ESPECIALLY PTSD. Don't be macho, DOCUMENT!
    That was some EXTREMELY good advice you gave for those who are still in service. GET THOSE MEDICAL EXAMS and keep everything on record. Speaking as one who have caught a "Boatload" of hell working with the VA. If they have no record of it, You can forget it!!!!!
    I will look towards the hills from whense cometh my help. All my help cometh from the Lord.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast