During a gun fight, does the military use ear protection? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: During a gun fight, does the military use ear protection?

Quote Originally Posted by gunshrink View Post
    The interesting thing is that I can hear at all. I did a lot of shooting when I was in the Boy Scouts, 4 years military - two in Vietman and some flying in C-130's which are supposed to cause hearing loss with just one "application" - plus four years as a drummer in a rock band through HS and some of college - now if my muffs even slip a little I feel the pain. In indoor sometimes I double block and sometimes that is not enough - but like I say still hear pretty well. Like an earlier poster said "the human body is an amazing thing."
    I don't know what it is about the C-130 but I can tell one coming or going from miles away. Same applies to DC-3s/C-47s. The vibrations a C-130 produces are pretty bad even at ground level.

Quote Originally Posted by PaxMentis View Post
    Closest we ever came to hearing protection was a flight helmet with headphones when I was flying gunner on an old Huey C-model gunship...with a minigun about 4 ft from my head one direction, a jet engine about 5ft the other direction and a cut down M-60 in my hands.

40+ years later, my ears still ring...
    I fully understand! MAN those Hueys were LOUD!

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

I had "flight time' in C-130s over my career. The two longest trips were from California to Hawaii and from Cherry Point to England. My head reverberated like a snare drum for days after both trips. (... and muffs didn't seem to help a bit for those low frequency "dronings".)

GG

Norton, originally Lee, has had an "earvalve" earplug for 40+ years now. $30 or so, I believe. Only a fool would go into a combat zone without a pair tied to his belt. Given a few seconds of time, behind cover, I'd certainly get them into my ears! They about double your effective range, you know, and you can still hear normal sounds. The NRA mag always has an ad in the back, an outfit will send you a kit of materials you need for making a casting of the inside of your ears. Then, for $70 or so, they send you some custom made plastic earplugs, with a tiny hole that lets you hear normally, but which blocks loud noises.

I sometimes wear my earplugs to bed because sometimes hubby snores. It saves my ear drums from getting annoyed by those motorcycle-like sounds coming from the other side of the bed. LOL...
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker's Mom View Post
    I sometimes wear my earplugs to bed because sometimes hubby snores. It saves my ear drums from getting annoyed by those motorcycle-like sounds coming from the other side of the bed. LOL...
    You ought to try sleeping next to a Detroit Diesl running at 1800 RPM. Nap time in engine rooms is fun. Foam plugs and a set of 3-M earmuffs at the same time.

And GG, the C-130 vibrations can cause spinal problems if exposed to them for too long.

Quote Originally Posted by hotti View Post
    Norton, originally Lee, has had an "earvalve" earplug for 40+ years now. $30 or so, I believe. Only a fool would go into a combat zone without a pair tied to his belt. Given a few seconds of time, behind cover, I'd certainly get them into my ears! They about double your effective range, you know, and you can still hear normal sounds. The NRA mag always has an ad in the back, an outfit will send you a kit of materials you need for making a casting of the inside of your ears. Then, for $70 or so, they send you some custom made plastic earplugs, with a tiny hole that lets you hear normally, but which blocks loud noises.
    Call me a fool, because I've never heard of that company, nor had any ear protection while in combat.
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    And GG, the C-130 vibrations can cause spinal problems if exposed to them for too long.
    Hadn't heard that particular malady mentioned before. But, it's OK, I'm out of the LOUD stuff these days. It is so still at night where I call home, the loudest sound heard is the owls reporting "Post nr ___ all secure!" to each other. (LOL!)

In fact, I had occasion to go to the local gas station this morning and was mortified by the noise emanating from two diesel trucks, one gas driven sedan and one of the town's finest blowing leaves off the sidewalk with one of those hand held, gas driven leaf blowers. I thought it almost unbearable.

I guess it is all in what you are currently used to.

GG

P.S. I would have thought any spinal problems at all would have been a direct result of those torture devices they laughingly (I'm sure) refer to as troop seating assemblys.

Quote Originally Posted by dcselby1 View Post
    Earplugs? Nope. Which explains my hearing loss and Tinnitus. LOL. Buddy of mine was a cannon-cocker in the 101st in Vietnam and he said that they used to (sometimes) put cigarette butts in their ears, but had no earplugs. Almost deaf as a post, too.
    BTW for ANYONE still in the service, BEFORE YOU GET OUT, make sure to get your hearing tested! It is a real bi** to get any compensation for anything that is NOT in your health records! List EVERYTHING that was ever wrong with you while on active duty, no matter how minor orembarrassingg. It will save you TONS of grief should you ever have to deal with the VA. Also, remember that it may be MANY years before you have to do this. There are STILL WWII guys going through VA for INITIAL claims and award increases, etc., ESPECIALLY PTSD. Don't be macho, DOCUMENT!
    Lets take that a step further make sure you get a full physical (as you should when you ETS anyway) and make absolutely certain that you get an official (stop ,right there and read that last word again) copy of your medical records made at your post hospital. and that you keep that official(stop ,right there and read that last word again)copy when you get out
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

yep, that's what you were, for not checking out what was available, trusting the military to "provide" for your needs is a big mistake. Like the lack of cleaning/lube gear for M16's in Nam, like the lack of armor early on in Iraq, like the guys using OIL in the desert, on M16's, instead of dry graphite. Take your own WITH you, when they tell you that you are being deployed. Personally, when I was to be shipped overseas in 1972, I took a 380 Llama and some reloads with me to Oakland air base, but the military pulled a fast one on me and I wound up not getting the pistol on board the plane with me, after all.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast