During a gun fight, does the military use ear protection?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: During a gun fight, does the military use ear protection?

During a gun fight, does the military use ear protection?

During safe lines at the range I often remove my ear pro. When they call the hot line I sometimes forget to put them back on, recently a 10mm glock reminded me as it went KABOOM!! loudest thing I've ever heard. My testicles went into self-preserve mode up into my abdomen, my skin went flush, and I think I popped myself a little.

Um. No. its a side effect of the job.

Quote Originally Posted by che View Post
    During safe lines at the range I often remove my ear pro. When they call the hot line I sometimes forget to put them back on, recently a 10mm glock reminded me as it went KABOOM!! loudest thing I've ever heard. My testicles went into self-preserve mode up into my abdomen, my skin went flush, and I think I popped myself a little.
    Whatever range you were shooting on has very lax RSO. I ensure that everyone on the range has their eye and ear protection in place before giving the ok to resume fire.

With that said, while in combat, there's no time to put on ear protection. Not to mention that the hearing protection may hamper the ability to hear stuff that may prevent the need for a fire fight.
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    Whatever range you were shooting on has very lax RSO. I ensure that everyone on the range has their eye and ear protection in place before giving the ok to resume fire.

With that said, while in combat, there's no time to put on ear protection. Not to mention that the hearing protection may hamper the ability to hear stuff that may prevent the need for a fire fight.
    I've thought about this as well. I used to be in the concert industry and was frequently subjected to ear-splitting music. I had special ear inserts that dampened the sound but still allowed me to hear clearly. They weren't as protective as muffs or solid plugs but they were still pretty good....a lot better than nothing. It was a long time ago and I don't remember what they were called.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

GIf you read the book called "On Combat," the author talks extensively about how the body's adrenaline dump has funny effects on people in violent encounters. One such effect was the leo/ military interviewees recalling hearing commands being shouted by higher ups, but never even hearing a single shot fired. Auditory exclusion... the human body is an amazing machine. Its a great read if you carry a gun btw.

yes

There are modular plugs available now but not all units have them. Its a plug with a small hole to allow for minimal protection that can be switched by sliding the cover over for full protection.

Quote Originally Posted by ti02 View Post
    There are modular plugs available now but not all units have them. Its a plug with a small hole to allow for minimal protection that can be switched by sliding the cover over for full protection.
    Those are probably the ones Surefire makes!

Please do not be mistaken about auditory exclusion. It is real but it does not protect your hearing at all you will still suffer permanent hearing loss to a greater or lesser degree
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Please do not be mistaken about auditory exclusion. It is real but it does not protect your hearing at all you will still suffer permanent hearing loss to a greater or lesser degree
    True. The cilia will be damaged and destroyed by the extremely loud noise even if your brain can choose what sound (nerve signals) it wants to process and therefore you "hear".

I put this gunshot noise in the "gun myth" thread that was started a day or two ago so, yes, I've wondered how the good writer-folks on a variety of tv shows and movies could overlook such an obvious issue.

Che: Did you "popp" yourself a little as you wrote (typed), or did you mean that you may have needed a shower and a boxer/briefs change? hehe
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

Quote Originally Posted by che View Post
    I can't help but laugh at your post...anyway, in reply to your question, I will ask our son, he is in the military.
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast