Fighting Misinformation
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fighting Misinformation

Fighting Misinformation

It really startles me how much false information regarding gun laws is posted online. Maybe its just me, but it seems like the only way to carry and be assured that you are following the laws is to research the laws yourself by going to your state's website and reading them.

Tonight, I visited a popular site for Colorado gun owners that claims to be active in supporting our rights as well as providing information to gun owners about the laws. Sure enough within a few minutes I found false information posted on the website that is just outright wrong. The website lists a place that is "illegal" to carry and they cite it with a reference to Colorado Revised Statutes. So I go take a look at the laws on the books and sure enough, the website is completely wrong. But unless you verified it yourself, you would believe the website's false information. It just makes me wonder how many people read that and went around spreading that rumor and false information.
    A visit to another Colorado gun forum turned up similar results. People start quoting laws that dont exist, telling others what is legal/illegal and seemingly turning their rumors into factual gun laws.

I know Im preaching to the choir for many here (NavyLCDR), but to those of you who have never read your state's gun laws, I suggest doing so instead of assuming the information you found on a random website has told you accurate info about your carry limitations and rights. Unless you read the law yourself, take everything everyone says regarding the law with a grain of salt. USACarry has good info dont get me wrong. But there are so many gun laws with serious penalties if not followed that it would be ludicrous to not take a look at the actual laws yourself before carrying your loaded firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by Deserteagle View Post
    It really startles me how much false information regarding gun laws is posted online. Maybe its just me, but it seems like the only way to carry and be assured that you are following the laws is to research the laws yourself by going to your state's website and reading them.
    Tonight, I visited a popular site for Colorado gun owners that claims to be active in supporting our rights as well as providing information to gun owners about the laws. Sure enough within a few minutes I found false information posted on the website that is just outright wrong. The website lists a place that is "illegal" to carry and they cite it with a reference to Colorado Revised Statutes. So I go take a look at the laws on the books and sure enough, the website is completely wrong. But unless you verified it yourself, you would believe the website's false information. It just makes me wonder how many people read that and went around spreading that rumor and false information.
    A visit to another Colorado gun forum turned up similar results. People start quoting laws that dont exist, telling others what is legal/illegal and seemingly turning their rumors into factual gun laws.

I know Im preaching to the choir for many here (NavyLCDR), but to those of you who have never read your state's gun laws, I suggest doing so instead of assuming the information you found on a random website has told you accurate info about your carry limitations and rights. USACarry has good info dont get me wrong. But there are so many gun laws with serious penalties if not followed that it would be ludicrous to not take a look at the actual laws yourself before carrying your loaded firearm.
    I've not only read Florida's but have written to our Reps about them. And am always referring to the book, Florida Firearms Law, Use & Ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    I've not only read Florida's but have written to our Reps about them. And am always referring to the book, Florida Firearms Law, Use & Ownership.
    You my friend, are a responsible gun owner. I just worry about how many people believe what others tell them regarding gun laws. I could say something ridiculous like its illegal to carry a gun in a shoulder holster and I guarantee somebody out there will believe it instead of research it themselves! Not good for us gun owners as a whole.

After 37 years working for the Dept of Defense, I learned one thing...

"Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see."

I think Low summed it up well. Hey even your momma lied to you "for your own good".

It truly is amazing. The ink is not dry on my previous reply and I go to the next thread "Hornady" and how does it begin you ask? "a guy in Dicks Sporting Goods told him that a detective told him that Hornady Critical Defense can be construed as "overkill". Missinformation to the 2nd degree--amazing. Information of this forum is interesting and informative as long as you know what to do with it and use your own smarts and due diligence--if you don't you may be in for some big surprises considering that we are talking about forum subjects that basically come down to lethality in some form or another.

In my role as a Concealed Handgun License instructor I've had folks sit in class, listen to the law I've just displayed to them, and discussed and then ask me a question that they, themselves, have "assumed" to be true. When I point to the law and tell them that what they say was never indicated in the law they realize that far too many people don't read and comprehend; they read and "read into" what they believe. Also, the laws of the various states point out what is legal, not what a person "should" do based on their own beliefs or morals. It also doesn't point out what a jury's beliefs and morals are. This, I believe, helps in changing what people believe to be the exact law. I agree with your aessment that people should study the laws for their own good, but they need to NOT add their own beliefs in that law ... that's why we refer to "The letter of the law." But our educational system today wishes to have students talk about how that law makes them feel rather than what was read. Just my two cents...
    NRA Certified Instructor - Basic Pistol
    NRA Range Saftey Officer
    Certified TX CHL instructor (11 years)

9. Yes, I agree, and have posted to that point a number of times both here and elsewhere. It never ceases to amaze me how many people will accept advice from a nameless, faceless person online rather than going to the source for readily accessible information. The internet gives us a wonderful tool for spreading truth and ideas. Unfortunately, it is just as easy to spread lies and misunderstanding. Bottom line is, if you look it up yourself, and understand it, then you know what the law actually is and can make properly informed decisions.

I had a discussion yesterday with a co-worker about how people hear what you say which falls right in line with what the OP is saying. People have a very hard time in separating fact from opinion and laws from rumor. In the "overkill" comment above this is quite possible that a lawyer in a trial could argue that using certain type ammo but there is nothing in the law that says anything about it. So the statement was not totally false but was taken out of context and completely misunderstood as being fact vs. opinion or rumor.

As for the saying about "Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see" I find that people will only hear part of what you say and then believe that part. I see it all the time when someone comes back from their CCW/CWP training classes telling what the instructor said. I have done a lot of training both formal training and informal and find that sometimes you need to ignore certain things. An example is that if you give driving directions to some place and tell someone that when you get to a certain intersection turn left, DO NOT TURN RIGHT, and later get them to repeat the directions as many as 50%, usually the same 50% will say the you told them to turn right at that intersection. One reason is that you emphasized the turn right and they heard that but not the DO NOT. The same way in a lot of CCW/CWP classes that the students only heard part of the answer.

Then there is the part of being able to understand what you are reading. Even if a person reads the law straight from the code book it still is not a sure thing that they will understand it. Ever notice how many different interpretations of 2A there are? All we can do is try to know the laws ourselves, try to separate fact from opinion or rumor and be sure that when we post advice that we are sure of what we post and state whether or not it is opinion or fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    Yes, I agree, and have posted to that point a number of times both here and elsewhere. It never ceases to amaze me how many people will accept advice from a nameless, faceless person online rather than going to the source for readily accessible information. The internet gives us a wonderful tool for spreading truth and ideas. Unfortunately, it is just as easy to spread lies and misunderstanding. Bottom line is, if you look it up yourself, and understand it, then you know what the law actually is and can make properly informed decisions.
    The bad part is the laws are written in both legalese and gov't double speak. The gov't can interpret a law one way while it actually might say something else. Like the current thread on the military spending bill. A " is not required to " is not the same as " can't " or " won't ".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast