Being new to handguns.... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Being new to handguns....

Quote Originally Posted by missoak View Post
    My brother & my son have S&W Sigmas. I have shot both ( 9mm & 40 ) & they are decent for the $$$
    Before you commit, check out "BUDS" on line for prices. Good starting point.
    Sigma is widely considered to be the biggest POS Smith ever made. YMMV....

Went to hit reply and accidentally hit "like"...oops! As if I know the difference in models! But what Rich said validates my point. I would have naturally assumed everything S&W made was top quality which apparently is not the case. I think Sig makes a beautiful handgun but I had a hard time with the slide yet the Glock felt perfect although I did not shoot it.

I was liking the Ruger LC9 and thought it was an awesome piece but am not liking some of the reviews I have read.

4. And see, I really like my Ruger LC9, and wear it in a Crossbreed SuperTuck holster everyday all day. But see, in a way it doesn't matter to you that I like my gun because what matters is that you like your gun. But when you're new, there are scads of choices and you're trying to figure out how to make that choice. Reading everything you can about the different features of guns is good, but the bottom line is you have to try out the guns to really know what works for you. And even then, what feels good one day at the range may not feel good on another day. But at least if you rent and fire a lot of different makes and models, you will be making an informed decision. In the meantime, the advice previously given in this thread is excellent regarding reading what you can and then searching for reviews. At least that will give you an idea of what others like and dislike. However, remember that you may not find the same pros and cons as others.

I have to agree that reading magazines is good to get a feel for what's out there but I agree with the poster who said you can't take for real everything you read because the magazines (and TV gear shows) always love every gun they show. They never point out features that might not be good, so you don't really get a complete picture.

Read, fire, read, fire, then choose and buy a gun. And don't worry, your first purchase it won't be your last.

Quote Originally Posted by hogwylde View Post
    Went to hit reply and accidentally hit "like"...oops! As if I know the difference in models! But what Rich said validates my point. I would have naturally assumed everything S&W made was top quality which apparently is not the case. I think Sig makes a beautiful handgun but I had a hard time with the slide yet the Glock felt perfect although I did not shoot it.

I was liking the Ruger LC9 and thought it was an awesome piece but am not liking some of the reviews I have read.
    Many manufacturers have their dogs and the Sigma is Smith's. You know about Glocks in Mass. right? I'd stay away from them. The Smith M&P is a good choice. Sigs are good also but expensive. If you don;t like the LC9 the SR9c is a good choice.

I like the Glock but it is not what I like it is what you like. As mentioned above hold a bunch of them before you decide and rent them if you can. If you can't find a place to rent pistols then go by a range and ask shooters what they shoot and why. If they offer to let you try their gun take them up on it. You also need to decide which round to carry. I carry the 9mm because it is the least expensive round save for the .22. This allows me to shoot more for fewer dollars and practice is all important. The recovery time is somewhat less also giving you a slightly faster second shot.

There is a perpetual argument as to whether 9mm, .40, or .45 is better. I have heard it said that this is at least a two beer discussion. In truth a keg would only end the discussion till you woke up. Whichever you choose you will be right... for you. The studies I have read suggest that these will all do the job with hollow point ammo and proper shot placement.

Decide what you want to do with the gun. Around the house and the range only I would pick a full size pistol i.e. Glock 17 or Ruger SR9. To also carry concealed I would pick a Glock 19 or 26, or the Ruger SR9c. This list is far from complete and is just intended to give you a starting point.

Once you pick your caliber and pistol then you need to look into training. I hope you have as much fun with this as I do.
    NRA,
    Armed Citizens Legal Defense Fund
    http://armedcitizensnetwork.org/

I have a 40 Glock and a 380 S&W for CC. I like the Glock target and winter carry because of the size, the 380 for times when I don't wear heaver clothing. Just try a few out and see which one you like best, it will save ypu a lot of time and money with guns you don't really care for. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_S View Post
    Sigma is widely considered to be the biggest POS Smith ever made. YMMV....
    That was experience with the Sigma .40 I bought. I was glad that I was able to sell it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12