Being new to handguns....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Being new to handguns....

Being new to handguns....

How does one know what is considered to be a good make? Sure I know of the bigger named companies such as Glock, S&W, Colt, Sig Sauer, etc...but I recently bought a magazine and while thumbing through it, I cam across a ton of guns I had never heard of. How does one know if they are any good? Are there certain things to look for?

Wow that is a really broad question. The named companies you mention all have good reputations and that is a good place to start. When I become interested in a particular gun I research it I look up reviews I look on gun forums under the “list the worst gun you ever owned” threads.

I also make it a rule to never buy a gun I can’t see and handle first like off the net.
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Price is generally a good indicator of quality, but not a guarantee! There are some "new" gun mfg. out there that have a very good products and are just so new that they don't have a big following. Research is your best friend. Some guns are overpriced, but the company reputation demands a premium price. Indicators of quality are: A smooth action, crisp trigger, good fit and finish, no sharp edges/corners, good balance. Always handle a firearm before you buy it.

Google "customer reviews" for whatever make/model you're considering. You can read what people like you and me think of the gun. Ignore the gun magazines when it comes to their "opinion" on a particular firearm. Considering how much money such publications accept from gun manufacturers in the form of advertising $$$, they can hardly be objective and truly critical when it comes to reviewing a gun. "Gun Tests" may be the only exception. They accept no advertising and they pay for the test guns out of their own pocket.

I'll open up a can of worms here and say that there's no way I'd trust my safety to a Taurus. They produce too many lemons although you're just as likely to get a good one from Taurus as you are a bad one. You should be fine with any of the major brands. Find something that feels good in your hand and maybe go to a range that rents pistols. No matter what you buy, put a couple of hundred rounds through it at the range before you start relying on it for self defense. All guns, especially auto-loaders, have a break-in period.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    Price is generally a good indicator of quality, but not a guarantee!
    Good point. Kimber is one of the more expensive brands out there and highly respected but from what I've read they've produced some runs of real dogs.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

Kimber is a brand that I hadn't heard of until I read about them in a magazine as well. I am looking to spend about $400-$500. Could I get a decent gun in that price range?

Quote Originally Posted by hogwylde View Post
    Kimber is a brand that I hadn't heard of until I read about them in a magazine as well. I am looking to spend about $400-$500. Could I get a decent gun in that price range?
    You can get any number of decent handguns in that range. A Rock Island Armory 1911 for one
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

My brother & my son have S&W Sigmas. I have shot both ( 9mm & 40 ) & they are decent for the $$$
    Before you commit, check out "BUDS" on line for prices. Good starting point.

If this is your FIRST handgun purchase, I would avoid anything 1911. They are exceptional guns. However, the 1911 can require some extra loving care.
    Stick to the name brands for your first one. M&P, Glock, Ruger, etc. I would stick to a 9mm if you want a defensive gun. A .22 learn with. Read everything you can. Rent one or two of the ones you are most interested in. You will find out really quick, if it is what you thought it was going to be like.
    You need to answer some questions for yourself.
    What am I going to use the gun for? target, home, concealed carry?
    How often am I going to shoot it? Weekly, monthly, daily, semi-annual?
    Cost of ammo?
    Do I like to tinker with things or set it and forget it?
    How does this gun fit in my hand?
    How comfortable am I with recoil?
    The answers to these questions, will lead to another set of questions. These could go on and on. As noted above, once you narrow your choices down to a few. Go to some of the shooting websites and read everything you can on your choices.

Psalm 82:3-5

Quote Originally Posted by hogwylde View Post
    For $500, go with a Glock. For the most part they are very reliable guns and they come in every size and caliber you could imagine. All within your price range. Believe it or not, but most cops carry Glocks which are $500 guns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast