Bought a Heritage Safe yesterday. Advice on bolting it down to concrete - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bought a Heritage Safe yesterday. Advice on bolting it down to concrete

Quote Originally Posted by alternety View Post
    I know this will sound like a "well duh" but make sure the floor does not have embedded heating pipes or wires.
    No worries. I just built our house this year. Nothing under the concrete slab but the plumbing to the septic tank and the safe is no where near that.

Its in my basment that has a garage door. Very easy for some one with an appliance dolly to get out of my basment and onto a truck with 2 or 3 big guys. Thats why i want it bolted down.

One way an end user can move a safe through a house without special equipment is by using throw rugs and lengths of pipe.

Put the rugs down and then the pipes. You'll need about 4 or 5 pieces about three ft long.

You can tip even a very heavy safe up enough to slip a pipe underneath. Then another and another till the safe rolls on them. The rugs will let you turn the safe without scraping the floor. Just keep taking one out from behind and place it back in front under the safe.

Don't go up and down steps if you don't have the right equipment, you can kill yourself.

I would just put a heavy sheet of plastic between the safe and concrete. That leaves no room to pry.

KK

5. Bolting it into your thin slab floor does nothing, they just rock it till they get a pry bar under your safe, then use a small hydraulic jack to pull the bolts out. It's the bulk and weight of the safe that keeps them from getting it.

You could use Thunderstuds which drive into the concrete with a hammer and have a nut on top so you do not have to try and realign over a hole. Dill hole in safe bottom then concrete bit thru that hole into the concrete and set stud. Must have something between steel and concrete even if its just a piece of rubber.

Quote Originally Posted by rifleshooter474 View Post
    Bolting it into your thin slab floor does nothing, they just rock it till they get a pry bar under your safe, then use a small hydraulic jack to pull the bolts out. It's the bulk and weight of the safe that keeps them from getting it.
    Well its better to have it bolted down than not. Any thing that makes it more difficult for a theif to acheive his goal is a good thing. Most people that break in are crash and grab what ever they can quickly find and get out before getting caught.

I dont think most of you realize how much an 800+ pound safe actually weighs compared to an average 175 pound full grown male. Im 215 pounds and am no slouch. I just went down stairs to try and rock the safe. Hell, i tried with everything i had in me and i could not even get one corner off the ground.

It took two really big guys and me helping them to even get it off the truck with the aid of an appliance dolly. Once its bolted down, you aint rocking this thing back and fourth.

Quote Originally Posted by mack1748 View Post
    You could use Thunderstuds which drive into the concrete with a hammer and have a nut on top so you do not have to try and realign over a hole. Dill hole in safe bottom then concrete bit thru that hole into the concrete and set stud. Must have something between steel and concrete even if its just a piece of rubber.
    I went to lowes looking for those today but they didnt have any. All they had were wedge anchors and sleeve anchors. Lucky for me, the Heritage safes already have 4 pre drilled holes in the bottom of the safe so i can drill straight into the concrete.

I haven't seen a gun safe or any decent safe for that matter that hasn't got pre drilled holes. Putting the safe in a corner is your best bet to keep the rocking factor out of the equation.

KK

Quote Originally Posted by Keykutter View Post
    Picking fights?

Voicing any opinion different than you and your boy Navy is picking a fight to you.

Being that I am speaking from a place of experience, yes, this is part of my job, I really don't care what you choose to do but since you don't know what your talking about in this instance, and I do, you shouldn't be the one giving advice in this situation.

I bow to your infinite wisdom in any and everything anybody asks here that you seem to know everything about, except this one.
    Oh so now the truth comes out. Because you hate Navy so much, you hate me now too because Navy and I agree 50% of the time huh? I dont care what your opinion is, you tore apart my advice to the OP rather than give him your own advice. Attacking a person instead of an idea/opinion on an internet forum is a classic keyboard commando. Welcome to my ignore list.

the only thing that concerns me with putting something under the safe to get it up off the concrete to keep it from rusting is the fact that someone could get a pry bar under the safe.

It almost seems like putting it on a piece of plastic would be a better option to keep it off the concrete. Honestly, how long will it take 11 gauge steel to rust through anyway.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast