Anyone Hear The Sonic Boom? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone Hear The Sonic Boom?

When the Saturn 5's went to the moon, you could hear and feel it in the Orlando area. It took something like 5 minutes for it to reach out that far, but it was amazing. I took available light pix of a night moon launch from Titusville shooting 125th of a second at F8. That was at around 12:30am. The shuttle is impressive, but the Saturn 5's were incredible.
    I know a man by the name of Mel;
    he can't see but he sure do smell.

Never saw a Saturn V launch, But I did watch an early morning shuttle launch. First thing that amazed me was that even from the side of US1, I could see 3 individual flames when the main engines started. Then when the solid boosters lit, it was just gone. Then my wife and I were just in awe at the weird shadows the sunrise made through the smoke trail. "Cool, but I thought we would've been able to here it?" "Yeah, me too. I know were far away but..."ruumble...RUMBLE...BOOOOOM.

I didn't hear yours, but about 20 years ago, walking home from school one afternoon, I did hear one... yep , right here in SW Kansas! Not sure what caused it, I think we were on some kind of a military flight training pattern.

I grew up in the Edwards AFB area (Antelope Valley, Mojave Desert) and when they were first testing the shuttle, we heard alot of sonic booms from it. Pretty soon it became "routine" Along with those from the SR-71.
    DrLewall
    "Doc"
    Drakes Creeks, AR
    www.kiltsrock.com
    "A gun unloaded and cocked aint good for nuttin!"--Rooster Cogburn

Quote Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
    I grew up in the Edwards AFB area (Antelope Valley, Mojave Desert) and when they were first testing the shuttle, we heard alot of sonic booms from it. Pretty soon it became "routine" Along with those from the SR-71.
    That's an awesome picture!

Memberships: NRA, GOA, USCCA
    Guns: Glock 26, Ruger LCP, Beretta 90-Two .40, Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9MM, Beretta Tomcat, Bushmaster Patrolman M4

I know the terror of that sound. When I first moved to FL, I thought a bomb dropped in my laundry room. I got my 357m, called the cops, and then felt stupid. It's a laugh now but at the time my hubby worked in NY and I was alone with my then 7 yr old. Live n learn.
    Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it Prov 22:16 NKJV

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12